Audio CD playback on a DVD/CD-Rom

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
All,

I use my PC as a media center / home cinema in addition to gaming, but i'm having a bit of an issue when playing back audio CDs in the DVD drive. I've got it set to allow digital playback from the drive instead of analogue (or via a passthrough cable). However, when I playback an audio CD, it seems to spin the disk at full speed which is a bit noisy at night and also when the sound is down lower. Is there anyway to playback via the digital selection, but only spin the disk at x1 speed? or slower than the full speed of the drive?

Any help appreciated.

G

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
Maybe. It can depend on drive and media player of choice.

What brand of drive do you have? I've a Pioneer slot loading DVD jobby, and they provide a utility to fix the speed of the drive lower than specced - making it much quieter. You can then set it up to run slower 99% of the time, and then up it to full whack if/when you have software installations to worry about :) However, I don't know if other manufactuers or third party utilities will do this as well.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
It's an LG DVD drive.

Linkee to suchee a utiliteee? I could have a rummage on LG's webby.

Damn, i used to have a slot loading pioneer CD-Rom, was the best drive i've ever had :(.

edit - I've found a tool called "CD Rom Tool 2002" that sets your CD-Rom drive to spin at a maximum set speed (the lowest being 3x). This is aimed at people who have very fast drives, but don't want them soundling like hoovers whilst listening to audio CDs. Thanks Shovel for the pointer in the right direction.

G

Tom

I am a FH squatter
It might be pre-caching the music, perhaps there is a setting you can change?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom