ATi... /sigh

kirennia

Part of the furniture
So once again I've been cursed with the failure of an ATi product. 4870 sapphire 1gb graphics card just decided to fall apart after just 3 months of usage. It was extremely impressive while it lasted; being much cheaper then NVidia equivalents but as fast or faster in the majority of circumstances and overall I've been very pleased with it up until now.

It never went above 65 degrees, was never overclocked, is in a well ventilated area and clear of dust for the most part so I'm temporarily back to my 7600GT which I've had for a couple of years.

Is it just luck that I've never had an NVidia failure but every product bar none ATi related I've owned has fallen apart with just a few months use?

Disappointed to being back to being an NVidia fan boy rather then having a neutral stance with both brands which was born recently with word of ATi being back on the up... :(

/Rant off.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
damn mate, I have the same one. like you, no issues at all. tbh I'd take it back to the shop and get it RMA'd.

Syri

FH is my second home
Not had any issues with my 4670, as of yet at least. My old nvidia 7800gt however croaked it about a month after the warranty was up

Jeros

Part of the furniture
HD 3650 AGP 512mb here, works fine, occasianal bsod but its been ripped out of the socket a few times when the power was on and the rest of the pc is like 5 years old or so heh

Kryten

Old Cow.
Anything's susceptible to failure really, the least said about the explosion rates on nvidia's most popular card to date (the 8800GT and it's variants between the 9600, 9800 and that GTS I cant remember - 250?) is just silly. Just hope the RMA process is half decent.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
I've had two ATI cards, a 9800pro back in the day that went wrong, then it's replacement -under warranty - that also eventually blew up.

That was enough for me.

Fast

Part of the furniture
My 9700Pro died after 18months. My Current 4850 has been replaced once and the new one runs stupidly hot in an antec case 70idle 90+ under load and doesn't feel stable.

My 7950gt is in 2nd pc, never had single prob with it other than age. My old G-Force3 has been in more slots than Justin Timberlake and is currently installed in my 3rd pc and just wont die.

I'm going back to Nvid /shrug

Kryten

Old Cow.
Yet to actually buy an ATI for myself.

However, vague estimates :

gone through around 2000 blown up 7900's
gone through similar amounts of 8800's
seen far, far more of blown up 6800GT's

Swings, roundabouts. And if you do anything other than game on a single monitor, buying nVidia is like banging your head against a brick wall then licking the mortar.

Lethul

FH is my second home
Only had ATI's, never had a card fail on me :)

Fast; if its running that hot why don't you sort out the cooler then? :S

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
I've had several budget ATI cards fail on me over the years, but have had several £200 - £300 nvidia cards fail in under a year, so ATI is the lesser of two evils for me.

Aada

Part of the furniture
I've never had any card fail on me, period.

Fast

Part of the furniture
Only had ATI's, never had a card fail on me :)

Fast; if its running that hot why don't you sort out the cooler then? :S

Set the fan to 100% and its running around 60º which is better but louder :| I think ill have to look for a cooling solution.

Lethul

FH is my second home
Set the fan to 100% and its running around 60º which is better but louder :| I think ill have to look for a cooling solution.

I did not mean increase the speed on the cooler on it :) Just buy an Accelero S1 and tie a 120mm nexus/slipstream on to it and see the temperature go down down down (and noise!) :)

The supplied cooling stuff is always subpar :(

Cadelin

Resident Freddy
I did not mean increase the speed on the cooler on it :) Just buy an Accelero S1 and tie a 120mm nexus/slipstream on to it and see the temperature go down down down (and noise!) :)

Well obviously! :p

rynnor

Rockhound
Im not sure if its ATI or just Sapphire - I had the 4870 512mb card by Sapphire and it never worked properly and had constant random crashes.

The support for this issue was awful - I will never buy another Sapphire card and would urge others to do likewise!

Fast

Part of the furniture

The supplied cooling stuff is always subpar :(

Noted :)

Chronictank

FH is my second home
I still have a 9800pro running in another machine :p cant fault it at all even manages to get a descent FPS in COD4. Although i had a Aero Cooler put on it tho

Still on my 3870x2 atm no problems so far

As with anything, sometimes you get faulty ones

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom