ati drivers

sibanac

Fledgling Freddie
ok just got a new shiny asus 9600-xt, now what drivers should i use ?
the ati generic or the asus branded ?

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
sibanac said:
ok just got a new shiny asus 9600-xt, now what drivers should i use ?
the ati generic or the asus branded ?
Hi sibanac

If you search the forums I seem to recall this has cropped up once before. If I remember rightly, most agreed if you stuck to ATI's reference drivers you won't go far wrong.

Kind Regards

sibanac

Fledgling Freddie
Jonty said:
Hi sibanac

If you search the forums I seem to recall this has cropped up once before. If I remember rightly, most agreed if you stuck to ATI's reference drivers you won't go far wrong.

Kind Regards
thanks Jonty, I'll try to be not such a lazy bugger in the future :)

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
sibanac said:
thanks Jonty, I'll try to be not such a lazy bugger in the future :)
hehe, give over, the search function isn't always on the ball anyway, so it's easy to miss things.

I hope you're liking your new card. Up until yesterday I was using a Sapphire 9600XT and it was a very enjoyable experience (and being a big nVidia fan, that's saying something ;)). The only thing that I didn't really like was the drivers, but at least they're better than they used to be.

I hope to post a brief comparison between the 9600XT and my new card, a 5700 Ultra, sometime soon :) (Thanks Xavier :D)

Kind Regards

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I was an nVidia devotee until I got my 9700 pro. I had been nervous in the past after hearing rumours about ATI having poor driver support, but using the reference drivers since the start I have not had a single issue. Good luck :)

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Jupitus said:
I was an nVidia devotee until I got my 9700 pro. I had been nervous in the past after hearing rumours about ATI having poor driver support, but using the reference drivers since the start I have not had a single issue. Good luck :)
That's the odd thing about ATI drivers, though, they seem to be perfect for some and yet not for others. Very bizarre :D Personally I had quite a lot of trouble, CoD crashed, anti-aliasing wouldn't work in certain games, texture and lighting problems in Far Cry and Jedi Academy, even some of ATI's own tech. demos wouldn't sometimes work. And all this is on a cleanly installed system (twice over, in fact). But like I say, I seem to be a minority, and for that I'm thankful. And in fairness to ATI, most of these problems did have work arounds found in community forums and such.

Still, the 9600XT is a cool card, sibanac. Did you go for the full retail version with the HL2 voucher?

Kind Regards

sibanac

Fledgling Freddie
Jonty said:
That's the odd thing about ATI drivers, though, they seem to be perfect for some and yet not for others. Very bizarre :D Personally I had quite a lot of trouble, CoD crashed, anti-aliasing wouldn't work in certain games, texture and lighting problems in Far Cry and Jedi Academy, even some of ATI's own tech. demos wouldn't sometimes work. And all this is on a cleanly installed system (twice over, in fact). But like I say, I seem to be a minority, and for that I'm thankful. And in fairness to ATI, most of these problems did have work arounds found in community forums and such.

Still, the 9600XT is a cool card, sibanac. Did you go for the full retail version with the HL2 voucher?

Kind Regards
yeah payed 210 euro for it, card seems to be pretty good, but I will still have to do exstensive testing over the weekend ;)
Had one daoc crash last night, thats a first, but i was using the pakaged asus drivers at that time

They where dumping sapphire 9800-pro cards for 260 euro but sold last one while i was waiting :(

wyrd_fish

Fledgling Freddie
just think, if teh traffic hadn't been so bad, that'd be yours...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom