Athlon XP 2000+

T

Testin da Cable

that AMD will, we think, fail in its quest to replace the megahertz myth with its own more 'scientific' TPI in the minds of the public

I think so too.
amd should quit fucking about and put a 'real' 2Ghz cpu on the floor

E

Embattle

It can't, but imagine how fast that fooker would be :)

Needs a die shrink before 2Ghz on the XP.

T

Testin da Cable

aye too true :)
perhaps the 'xp2' will smack about. comes pre-shrunk and stone-washed heh

T

Testin da Cable

aha. ta :)
a bit out of things atm you know, but I was thinking of getting an alpha as a nice workstation/dev platform.
wondering if I really should tho: I've just managed to get my pc mob down to 4 [and one in parts so 5ish].
anyhoo, we'll see :)

O

old.mike15

Is there any motherboards that have been releashed that have full support of the athlon xp 2000 or atleast some that are going to be out within a month. j/w I know it was just releashed but sometimes they release motherboards around the same time as the cpu is launched. I know a lot of the boards now will work with it with a bios upgrade but was hoping a board would come out soon designed for it and stuff.

E

Embattle

I know my Abit KR7A-RAID supports both 1800+ and 1900+ so it will support the 2000+.

W

Wij

Yeh - it would be hard to flash the BIOS without a working CPU in the first place :)

Go for an 1800+ (or maybe 19.) They're so fast you'll never notice the difference :)

edit - Emb, most mobos don't support the 12.5 multiplier without a BIOS flash.

E

Embattle

And....it'll still fire up but at a lower speed at first, go to manufacturers website then get BIOS update :p

W

Wij

Usually yeh. I'd still go with an 1800+ tho. 2000+ is quite expensive really :/

O

old.mike15

I might just get the 1900 it isnt much diff.

F

FuZor

Nice! think I'll wait for some reviews to find the best Mobo for it!
This could be the upgrade i'm waitin for! :D

anyone seen these new Radeon 8500's apparently they are faster than a GF3!!! not sure though..... :rolleyes:

O

old.mike15

yea ive been lookin at the radeon 8500 im not sure if its faster than the gf3 but its a great all around card. I like that it supports dual monitors.

F

FuZor

hehe

found out some nice info!

The 8500 gives a FPS of 93.4 in Q3 and 2000 benchmark of 8517

The GF3 TI 500 gives a FPS of 91.1 in Q3 and a 2000 benchmark of 7767!!!

NICE

so its faster but not buy much! But the radeons much cheaper :D

Sorry for distracting the thread! Back to XP 2000!!!

;)

O

old.mike15

:) glad u shared the info I am to lazy to go and find it for myself

O

old.mike15

I looked at some info as well and heres some of what I found:

the Radeon 8500 runs at 275MHz core clock speed, with a 550MHz (DDR) memory clock, which is just slightly faster than the GeForce3 Ti 500 at 240Mhz core clock speed with 500MHz (DDR) memory clock.

Prices:
Ati RADEON 8500 lists for $299.99 (but can be found for much cheaper...I found it for around $200.)
Geforce 3 ti 500 I couldnt find the exact list price but street price is around $350 might be a little less.

The Radeon is a good card and is a close to the gf3 ti 500 but if you got the extra cash then the geforce 3 ti 500 is a better card.

The info I read was at http://www.tech-report.com/reviews/2001q4/vidcards/index.x?pg=1

S

ShockingAlberto

There was a good comparason linked to from the BW frontpage the other week. They showed the Radeon dominated on 3dmark and Q3, but wasn't ahead for most other games. The review was more about the new ati drivers, and it showed how much better the radeon performed with them.

O

old.mike15

yea for some reason the radeon does dominate on 3d marks benchmark. And of what I have read the new drivers fixed a ton of problems that the radeon 8500 had suffered from

E

Embattle

TBH it depends on the tilt of the drivers.

S

SoWat

...or whether the drivers have been written to take 'advantage' of benchmarks (perish the thought!).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom