Asylum Seekers

Krazeh

Part of the furniture
Illegal Immigrants who may or may not seek asylum

What are people's views on this? Is it just me or is it getting to a ridiculous state these days?

Read an article in today's Daily Mail (i think) about a fairly large group of illegal immigrants (who were here to apparently seek asylum) found in the back of a lorry at a freight terminal near heathrow, the police were called who then contacted immigration services to fetch the seekers. They were told to put the men on a train and let them make their own way to the immigration services headquarters in london because they don't have enough resources to deal with every incident. How many of them do you reckon actually turned up cos the immigration services haven't said. Imo the police should've taken the lot of em to heathrow, stuck em on a plane and sent em back where they came from.

And then there's the case of that illegal immigrant (who had his application for asylum turned down a year after he got here) who ran down a 9 year old, what the hell is he even still doing in the country? And it's utterly ridiculous he's getting a reduction in his sentence because of some technicality. It's even more ridiculous he still hasn't been deported yet.

At least the dutch appear to have the right idea of dealing with them, apparently they're planning to introduce a system of offering illegal immigrants a ticket home and a cash incentive to leave, then if they refuse taking them and any family to a deportation centre and offering a further incentive to leave, and then finally locking them up for six months and refusing them any and all benefits.

Krazeh

Part of the furniture
Deadmanwalking said:
Sorry but i stopped reading then :)
I was sitting around in the barbers waiting and it was the only paper available

Darthshearer

Can't get enough of FH
Aye DMW hasnt advanced from the Beano :) ohhh bless

IMO this country has we to easy stance on illegals getting in this country. We house them feed them and throw money at them left right and centre. Yet people who are born here get a very rough ride from education to being taxed trhough our asses to pay for this sort of thing.

We IMO need to take a stance like the Aussies did with that ship that run aground "See you" :touch: GO AWAY

Deadmanwalking

Fledgling Freddie
Darthshearer said:
Aye DMW hasnt advanced from the Beano :) ohhh bless

IMO this country has we to easy stance on illegals getting in this country. We house them feed them and throw money at them left right and centre. Yet people who are born here get a very rough ride from education to being taxed trhough our asses to pay for this sort of thing.

We IMO need to take a stance like the Aussies did with that ship that run aground "See you" :touch: GO AWAY

Don't drag the beano down to the mails level.

It is one of the if not the worst paper for stirring anti-asylum feeling. And most of it based on hear say and complete bollocks.

But it doesn't matter it has a good 'footie' section eh?!1

Krazeh

Part of the furniture
The fact of the matter tho is that occurences like this do go on, but becasue it was reported in the mail then it doesn't matter and we have absolutely no problems with the amount of asylum seekers entering hte country?

Darthshearer

Can't get enough of FH
yeh The Beano rocks :)

My brother works for a local council and his done out loads of houses for asylmn seekers and they get brand new everything fitted! His mate who works with him was speaking to one of the family members that moved into one house and the geezer had just been given a check of £5000 to get a new car! from the local authority!

]SK[

One of Freddy's beloved
Were a shit country who helps others rather than ourselves. We need to be like France and keep ourselves to ourselves.

Deadmanwalking

Fledgling Freddie
Darthshearer said:
yeh The Beano rocks :)

My brother works for a local council and his done out loads of houses for asylmn seekers and they get brand new everything fitted! His mate who works with him was speaking to one of the family members that moved into one house and the geezer had just been given a check of £5000 to get a new car! from the local authority!

Hope you live to see your home and country ravaged by war one day.

Oh no i wouldn't wish that on anyone.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Whilst I understand your sentiments DMW, there simply isnt the space or the money for our country to take in the amount of people we are taking at the moment :(

Deadmanwalking

Fledgling Freddie
throdgrain said:
Whilst I understand your sentiments DMW, there simply isnt the space or the money for our country to take in the amount of people we are taking at the moment :(

I think the big problem here isn't the asylum seekers as such. It's the numb nuts reporters of media like The Daily Mail.

They lump everyone trying to get into this country as an 'Asylum Seeker'.

Most genuine asylum seekers are accepted into the country and do recieve the benefits that SK is on about. As they are actually fleeing from war/hunger/poverty and as such deserve the asylum.

The problem as i said before is the morons that lump Asylum Seekers and back of lorry jobbos as the same or similar thing.

Hence why genuine asylum seekers have such a hard time.

Krazeh

Part of the furniture
Deadmanwalking said:
Hope you live to see your home and country ravaged by war one day.

Oh no i wouldn't wish that on anyone.
So because their country has been ravaged by war or they've been persecuted they've gotta come here? There's plenty of countries on the way which haven't been ravaged or wouldn't persecute them, so why do they come all the way here?

Deadmanwalking

Fledgling Freddie
Krazeh said:
So because their country has been ravaged by war or they've been persecuted they've gotta come here? There's plenty of countries on the way which haven't been ravaged or wouldn't persecute them, so why do they come all the way here?

With so many people thinking like this here, i am starting to wonder why also.

Will

/bin/su
Krazeh said:
Of course, if ever country had that attitude, they wouldn't have anywhere to go.

We are a nation of immigrants, why should we straight out deny the same right our ancestors enjoyed to other people?

DMW summed it up pretty well. :)

Krazeh

Part of the furniture
Ok I may have expressed that badly, I don't have a problem with genuine asylum seekers, people who've come here because they've nowhere else for them and they're willing to contribute and live within our laws and society. It's the rest of them I have a problem with, the illegals ones who shouldn't be here and make no contribution apart from taking whatever benefits they can get.

Deadmanwalking

Fledgling Freddie
Krazeh said:
Ok I may have expressed that badly, I don't have a problem with genuine asylum seekers, people who've come here because they've nowhere else for them and they're willing to contribute and live within our laws and society. It's the rest of them I have a problem with, the illegals ones who shouldn't be here and make no contribution apart from taking whatever benefits they can get.

So you mean Illegal Immigrants not Asylum Seekers?

YAY Daily mail.

Darthshearer

Can't get enough of FH
The reason thry come here is the plain and simple reason that our country throws money at them and doesnt look after our own people as a priority. You cant blame them for coming here can you?

We have OAP freezing to death in winter when they cannot afford bills, problems in our NHS, police etc etc it aint the asylm seekers fault but the goverment, BUT these people aint helping the situation are they. We have to get tough for our countries future.

DMW I understand we have it very lucky that we do not have civil war and poverty but what about France, Holland, Swiss, Germany etc etc!

Deadmanwalking

Fledgling Freddie
Darthshearer said:
The reason thry come here is the plain and simple reason that our country throws money at them and doesnt look after our own people as a priority. You cant blame them for coming here can you?

We have OAP freezing to death in winter when they cannot afford bills, problems in our NHS, police etc etc it aint the asylm seekers fault but the goverment, BUT these people aint helping the situation are they. We have to get tough for our countries future.

DMW I understand we have it very lucky that we do not have civil war and poverty but what about France, Holland, Swiss, Germany etc etc!

Why not just gas them all. :(

xane

Fledgling Freddie
Will said:
We are a nation of immigrants, why should we straight out deny the same right our ancestors enjoyed to other people?

But we don't deny anyone, and subscribe to the rules of the Geneva conventions covering asylum and refugees.

These people are entering the country illegally, and as such they get treated exactly the same as anyone else does when they get caught doing something illegal.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Im not so sure about that. DMW you say people fleeing war hunger poverty. Fleeing war yeah, but poverty ? Isnt that what the economic migrants on the back of lorrys are doing in the first place? Just because people are poor in one country doesnt mean they can come here and we give them housing and money for free does it ?
Will, as far as immegrants go, well of course you could say everywhere has a history of immegration, but not really so much here. And anyway, there's as many recent ,2nd or 3rd generation immegrants here now that have the same opinion about assylum seekers .
We need immegration. Thats a fact. But like almost any other country in the world you choose to name, we need to pick people we need, be it doctors or whatever. And a measure of people to do the lower paid jobs that British people dont want to do any more. But this needs to be regulated too.

sibanac

Fledgling Freddie
Darthshearer said:

hate to burts your bubble but in 2002, UK had 1.8 asylum seekers per 1000 ppl, putting it in 8th place on the list of european country's

I wonder (ball park figure) how many asylum seekers do you think yearly come into to the UK ?

Deadmanwalking

Fledgling Freddie
I think the main problem here is the big confusion between Illegal Immigrants and Asylum Seekers.

The legality of it all is the main stumbling block. Illegal being the ones that either smuggle their way in or are here under a false pretense.

The Asylum Seekers normaly have all the needed paper work and reasons for being here long before they actually arrive here.

Krazeh

Part of the furniture
sibanac said:
hate to burts your bubble but in 2002, UK had 1.8 asylum seekers per 1000 ppl, putting it in 8th place on the list of european country's

I wonder (ball park figure) how many asylum seekers do you think yearly come into to the UK ?
Does that figure include everyone who's applied for asylum or just those who were granted asylum? What about illegal immigrants who don't go through official channels?

Darthshearer

Can't get enough of FH
sibanac said:

No bubble burst. I dont have the numbers in front of me. I suppose yes its a media thing that the Dutch, Germans etc seem to be turfing these asylum seekers and pusing them towards us!

sibanac

Fledgling Freddie
Krazeh said:
Does that figure include everyone who's applied for asylum or just those who were granted asylum? What about illegal immigrants who don't go through official channels?
Number of aplications, illegal immigrants are not asylum seekers.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Deadmanwalking said:
I think the main problem here is the big confusion between Illegal Immigrants and Asylum Seekers.

The legality of it all is the main stumbling block. Illegal being the ones that either smuggle their way in or are here under a false pretense.

The Asylum Seekers normaly have all the needed paper work and reasons for being here long before they actually arrive here.

Forgive me use of the quote button. :(

You make a valid point. The term Assylum seeker covers a multitude of sins these days, some of them real and many more imagined.

I think also your perspective on this depends on where you live. Will and I have had this conversation before. In the SE of England where I live its difficult to see a bit of grass before a pile of concrete gets chucked on it for another generic housing estate. Up in Scotland they say the population is decreasing, yet far more illegals go to my neck of the woods because they have more chance of a cash in hand job, and Im told also far more of the "official" assylum seekers get housed round my way because .. ? I dont know why.
Theres been a dozen assylum seekers housed in the local Holiday Inn not half a mile from where I live for many months now, at a enormous cost to everyone concerned. Meanwhile -at the risk of sounding like a tabloid journalist- more OAP's die in the winter from lack of heating etc :/

Skyler

Fledgling Freddie
Well I'll say.. if I was fleeing persecution in a country.. I would be fucking grateful to escape that country into a safer country... if my life was genuinely in danger... I'd take whatever country I first came too and be happier there... maybe for good, but I expect I'd want better things...

Then of course you hear about England, super benefits, easy to get into yadda yadda... of course I'd wanna go there...

But for me, all these Asylum seekers that come here as their 'first' choice should go away, they obviously arent being persecuted.. why the hell would they travel over europe before stopping... why not just step accross a border and be safer?

Will

/bin/su
Media thing...Daily Mail...funny how the two enter the same thread. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom