Asus Laptops?

nath

Fledgling Freddie
I'm trying to find a decent laptop for my mum and found this:

Asus X58L Laptop - Laptops at Ebuyer

Specs-wise it's plenty, but I'm really after something that's got very solid build quality. Something that'll last about 5 years (the HP she was using that just died lasted almost 8). Does anyone here have any experience with Asus laptops, what're they like?

Also, anyone got any alternative brands that are built well? I'm a big fan of HP machines, but beyond that I'm not sure what's well made. I used to think Toshiba, but recently not so sure.

Any help appreciated. :)

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Samsung have always impressed me with the quality of their laptops. This one I'm using now feels superbly well put together. It was 700 quid mind, but I'm pretty sure something like the P500 is equally well built. We sell enough of them at work anyway with no complaints.

Asus? No idea. Just don't touch Acer..

Yaka

Part of the furniture
with asus it depends where it was made, if its from an out sourced plant youll get a crap one. if its from on of assus own or partner plant it will ok.
you could get 2 same model and spec lappys and fine one to be perfect other one to be poor

build wise its prolly the following

HP or Lenovo
Dell
Toshiba/samsung
msi
asus
acer

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Thanks yaka - so are dell really worth considering? Keep in mind this will be a budget system. I know dell's higher end laptops are solid but what about their basic crud ones?

edit: Thanks Bods too, gunna keep an eye out for some decent sammys.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Hmm,

I have an asus G1S and love it. Cost a bit but it flies like fuck and has never let me down yet.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
yep if you not aiming high end then the vostros range worth looking @
but also might be worth considering leonovo lappy as well their official vendors are throwing freebies away like a free monitor or all in one printer even if you dont want either you sell it on and reduce the cost.

another thing to consider about dell is the service over the phone, they are preety much trained not let a sale go to hp, if you mention a higher spec hp lappy and make it sound like you have made your mind up on a hp one, they will drop the price for you but you have sound convincing

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
I like Asus but don't really know about their lappys.

In all honesty my laptop I have now is the best I have ever had, its a Dell Inspiron 1525 and it was a bargain from Tesco online. Do a Tesco search luv, you will be surprised at their prices.

Kryten

Old Cow.
I've always lauded Asus for their whitebox laptop hardware - as someone who love to put these things together, upgrade etc manually they're ideal, but you do naturally pay a premium for it. The hardware itself is usually higher quality than what you'd find from the likes of Fujitsu and Acer.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Well the one I linked is very reasonably priced. I think I'm going to hold out for the Christmas sales though, see if I can find a bargain then.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
fwiw the (dutch) Metro has a full page advertisement for Asus lappies and some of them look quite smashing imo!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom