Arms Race Spec/Advice

Danamyr

Fledgling Freddie
bahamot said:
roll a merc

What's so special about Mercs?

Are they on the same damage table as Arms? Can you spec shield as a Merc?

I thought they were all about pure offence, sacrificing all defence (less parry obviously)?

Who'd win a fight between a Merc & Arms of equal level, assuming the Arms is S/S spec?

Kagato

Fledgling Freddie
Danamyr said:
What's so special about Mercs?

Are they on the same damage table as Arms? Can you spec shield as a Merc?

I thought they were all about pure offence, sacrificing all defence (less parry obviously)?

Who'd win a fight between a Merc & Arms of equal level, assuming the Arms is S/S spec?

Mercs can put out more damage over a period of time then an armsman can, therefore making them better choices for the pure offensive spots in a group. Shield is irrelivent as they are in the group for doing damage, not protecting, that is what we have paladins for, that is the point and one of the problems with Armsman.

You can spec shield as a Merc though theres not much point in it.

As for winning duels, again it doesn't matter in regards to how good the classes are or how important they are to the group, however in most cases a merc will beat a s/s armsman because your chance to block is halved for dual weilders, on the other hand thrust/pole spec armsman will have the advantage over mercs due to damage type vs armour type bonuses and two-hand vs dual weild defense bonus. But when it comes to grouping it makes no differance how good you can duel your realm mates, its how quickly you can kill the enemy.

Danamyr

Fledgling Freddie
Kagato said:
Mercs can put out more damage over a period of time then an armsman can, therefore making them better choices for the pure offensive spots in a group. Shield is irrelivent as they are in the group for doing damage, not protecting, that is what we have paladins for, that is the point and one of the problems with Armsman.

You can spec shield as a Merc though theres not much point in it.

As for winning duels, again it doesn't matter in regards to how good the classes are or how important they are to the group, however in most cases a merc will beat a s/s armsman because your chance to block is halved for dual weilders, on the other hand thrust/pole spec armsman will have the advantage over mercs due to damage type vs armour type bonuses and two-hand vs dual weild defense bonus. But when it comes to grouping it makes no differance how good you can duel your realm mates, its how quickly you can kill the enemy.

OK - I understand that, thanks for taking the time to post :)

I have a few problems with Mercs though, some cosmetic and others just because I am unique :D

1. I am attached to shields. Tanks are supposed to have a shield and that's all there is to it. If a shield was good enough for Sturm Brightblade, then it's bloody well good enough for me :)

2. Mercs look gay in chain - enuff said really.

3. I can't think of anything else, so I'll scuttle off to a satisfying perch with some popcorn and sourtastic Haribo and await comments :)

Seriously though, I'll roll a Lvl 20 of each, level to 24 then see how I get on with them in BG. I know BG isn't indicative fully, but should give me a feel...

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Danamyr said:
1. I am attached to shields. Tanks are supposed to have a shield and that's all there is to it. If a shield was good enough for Sturm Brightblade, then it's bloody well good enough for me :)

2. Mercs look gay in chain - enuff said really.

I'll have to login fingo and smack some people around with mallet's mallet - yes your gimpy GM also has a crush/shield merc :p

As for dueling - the s/s armsmen with mastery of blocking tended to do slightly better but it was always pretty close (mainly due to them hitting neutral armour and I'm hitting armour weak to crush, plus I have the pitiful evade 1 which occasionally made up the loss of 7% absorb, plus dirt was handy :))

dual wield is also quite good fun - mostly positionals and whatnot in PvE, in RvR you'll be out chasing around the enemy support which is always a larf...
I prefer shield though - mainly because dw mercs have been fotm and because I like brutalize ftw ;)

Kagato

Fledgling Freddie
Danamyr said:

If im not mistaken Sturm used a two handed sword that belonged to his father, unless your thinking of a prequel book I never read.

And no all tanks should not have shields, defensive tanks should, offensive ones should not.

You have to decide if your there to kill or if your there to protect, only warriors and hybrid armsman pale imitations can do both, and even then theres no real spot for them in most groups.

Bracken

Fledgling Freddie
Kagato said:
And no all tanks should not have shields, defensive tanks should, offensive ones should not.

You have to decide if your there to kill or if your there to protect, only warriors and hybrid armsman pale imitations can do both, and even then theres no real spot for them in most groups.

Don't make me explain to you about hybrid armsmen again... :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom