Arms Race Spec/Advice

Danamyr

Fledgling Freddie
I'm thinking of rolling an Arms, for BG1 use initially, then I'll decide whether to progress any further.

I've a few questions about spec, and I'd appreciate advice with regard to the best decision bearing in mind forthcoming changes?

1. Race - I know this may be a matter of personal preference, but Highlander or HO, and why?

2. Spec - I can remember when Pole was the way to go, is that still the case? I've seen a lot of S/S Norse Warriors, would a S/S Arms be viable?

3. Auto - Does an Arms auto-train anything?

Thanks in advance ;)

Elvo^Rylu

Fledgling Freddie
1. For S/S arms i'd go Briton, Hybrid i'd go for Highlander, Full 2H/Polearm i'd go for HO, for maximum performance.
Tho imo, choose form what race you think is the coolest looking :)

2. I'd say hybrid spec is the best.
42 shield
39 slash/crush/thrust
50 polearm/2-handed

Polearm and 2-handed are pretty equal, tho 2-handed slash is the most normal way to go atm.

3.Armsman auto-train in slash and thrust.

Jaem-

Can't get enough of FH
Saracen for blockbot.
Briton middle of the road.
Half ogre/Highlander for dmg.

I think

Don't know much about actual specs tho ;o

Draylor

Part of the furniture
1. HO as long as the looks dont put you off.

2. Warriors dont have to spec to use 2h weapons, they get full access to both 1h/2h weapons just from the damage type spec.

3. Autos slash/thrust.

Im sure youve heard it before: but dont take an arms to 50 expecting it to be a fun viable RvR char. Its a long way from it currently - only the stubborn few are still bothering to play them.

Kagato

Fledgling Freddie
Highlander for race or if your going with Polearms or Two-Handed then half-ogres can be considered also, you will gain a bit more strength and lose a touch of quickness, but that just means you will hit even harder.

For a bg1 character then polearm or two handed is pretty much the way to go as you wont be able to slam anyway until your 42 at the earliest and Armsman can still do pretty good at that early level.

Polearms and two-handed are fairly even with damage, your choice in weapon speed will make more differance to damage then anything else, if your going two-handed though then you want to choose slash however, but if you go with polearms you can pick slash, crush or thrust freely, its all 100% strength based regardless, but thrust is generally better for Albions in regards to enemy armour types.

For BG1 you could go 24 pole/2H 21 parry 10 slash/crush/thrust or vice versa 21s/c/t and 10 parry whichever way round it will only leave you with 1 point left over.

For auto-training, slash and thrust auto train up for Armsman, if you wanted to make use of this you could spec pole/2H and crush until your 48 then respec out of the crush and into slash or thrust. I wish I had but I did not know about auto-training when I made mine :)

<--- one of the stubborn few.

pichal

Fledgling Freddie
For a good dmg dealer Make a half-orge
21crush 21 2handed and15 parry, u will do some nice dmg coz ur high Str,

For a good Defence char go for saracen
23Shield 21thrust 12parry

If u want to be a crazy person make a avalon (+10 pie +10cha +10int :cheers: )
24Xbow and 23parry and Own everyone :clap:

Drav

Loyal Freddie
Hehe Im a briton slash poler, and have killed plenty of highlanders in duels... grats to me I guess ;)

judas

One of Freddy's beloved
Inconnu 2h thuster! kicks ass. now a sword and shiled block bot tho :p

Mithradir

Loyal Freddie
I'm thinking of rolling an Arms, for BG1 use

why do u want to do it to your life? :)

Anyway for bg1 fun i would recomend pole arms. You can kill even bd with 2-3 hits. Uber damage

Greenfingers

Fledgling Freddie
HO lvl 24 (BG1):
24 Pole
20 Crush
11 Parry

HO lvl 50(RvR spec):
50 Pole (VERY nice combo's behind target (stun/hindered)
50 Shield (for guardbot)
29 Slash (Amethyst spam when using S/S)
11 Parry (ok, for some extra defense)

This spec means that U will have to autotrain Slash to lvl 48, but aslong as you have CrushPole + Crush weapon, nothing can go wrong. HO with Pole does some NASTY dmg, I tell ya that !

Belomar

Part of the furniture
Sounds like a silly spec, to be honest--you need to max out your weapon to minimize damage variance. For an Armsman, there are basically three options: full pole, hybrid (42 shield), or S/S. Something in-between like this would not work, in my opinion.

Danamyr

Fledgling Freddie
So if I decided to take him to Lvl 50 as S/S, would 50 Shield, 50 Slash and Whatever in Parry be good or not?

gunner440

Hey Daddy Altman
parry well depends on what really
if you're planning on group rvr then parry is useless and id recommend a lower amount of parry to be able to have some xbow (either that or watch tv during keep defence/takes)

also the shield gives you another slot to sc (pole/2h have to cap the same things with less slots)

oh and ra changes in nf.......... (rofl)

Belomar

Part of the furniture
gunner440 said:
parry well depends on what really
if you're planning on group rvr then parry is useless
Well, I'm not so sure about that. As a S/S Armsman, you will likely have ML8+ Battlemaster and be reduced to babysitting casters/clerics with bodyguard. This means that any tank groups (ok, they might not exist) will need to go through you before they kill your protegee, and thus parry might be useful (especially against dual wielders where your block ratio is cut in half).

Ilienwyn

Fledgling Freddie
Greenfingers said:
HO lvl 24 (BG1):
24 Pole
20 Crush
11 Parry

HO lvl 50(RvR spec):
50 Shield (for guardbot)

This spec means that U will have to autotrain Slash to lvl 48, but aslong as you have CrushPole + Crush weapon, nothing can go wrong. HO with Pole does some NASTY dmg, I tell ya that !

HO blockbot? nice joke green :)

Flimgoblin said:
inconnu
50 xbow
28 thrust
50 2h!

Another epic char from Flimgoblin (TM)

My opinion? As gunner would also say: Forget it and move to your next choice... :(

gunner440

Hey Daddy Altman
Belomar said:
Well, I'm not so sure about that. As a S/S Armsman, you will likely have ML8+ Battlemaster and be reduced to babysitting casters/clerics with bodyguard. This means that any tank groups (ok, they might not exist) will need to go through you before they kill your protegee, and thus parry might be useful (especially against dual wielders where your block ratio is cut in half).

its easier to swap target and kill the non bodyguarded one than it is to kill the bodyguard

plus a full shield tank would be able to hold off attackers on him for a while as you'd have to send all the tanks on him to have any effect

the other way is sending the mages to kill the bg, id like to see any armsman parry a nuke

Bracken

Fledgling Freddie
gunner440 said:
its easier to swap target and kill the non bodyguarded one than it is to kill the bodyguard

plus a full shield tank would be able to hold off attackers on him for a while as you'd have to send all the tanks on him to have any effect

the other way is sending the mages to kill the bg, id like to see any armsman parry a nuke

Or just FZ the bg out the way. Man I hate that MA, it's so humiliating to be sliding along on your ass while your group is dying around you :(

Drav

Loyal Freddie
go s/s up to 50.

50 crush
50 shield
rest in parry

get auto trained thrust and slash up then respec to slash..... screw xbow tbh... its the cowards/leechers spec ;)

Kagato

Fledgling Freddie
I find it funny you calling crossbow users cowards whilst hiding behind a tower shield. :)

Drav

Loyal Freddie
Kagato said:
I find it funny you calling crossbow users cowards whilst hiding behind a tower shield. :)

Nope, slash poler here m8 ;) classic old waste of spec points 50 slash 50 pole 28 parry spec ;)

So I aint hiding behind anything, except my plate armor, was just a suggested spec....

But I'll wear cloth in emain if you do Kagato ;)

Qaewin

One of Freddy's beloved
Greenfingers said:
HO lvl 50(RvR spec):
50 Shield (for guardbot)

Base dmg type really should be 50 with +bonuses and rr so if you loose the parry and put it into slash and are rr10 this works but until then if you wanna go hybred stick with convention.

Danamyr

Fledgling Freddie
Qaewin said:
Base dmg type really should be 50 with +bonuses and rr so if you loose the parry and put it into slash and are rr10 this works but until then if you wanna go hybred stick with convention.

[Off Topic] OMG! Q! Can't believe you're still playing! Where's Ross? Haven't seen him online for ages! Tell him to get in touch please mate...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom