Are you lot mad?

throdgrain

FH is my second home
My son very kindly this morning bought me the SF expansion pack for BF2, so I thought Id give it a go :)
First, I installed it, which patched BF2 back to 1.1 (I think!) so the game wouldnt play.
I then repatched it all to 1.12, and it works.
However, it is so laggy! The fps must be very very low, I cant turn around without it lagging. I went back to vanilla BF2, and that seems ok, so is it just how SF is at the moment, or is it me?
My pc is a year old I know, and Im just about to upgrade a couple of things, but I would have thought a 3500-64/6800GT/2 gig ram could have at least made this game playable?
Help me out chaps, before I start slagging off BF2 again :p

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Just face it Throd...BF2 just isnt the game it should have been...

Aada

Part of the furniture
runs fine on all hight settings on my x850pro 256mb i heard most problems are with folk with Nvidia cards.. the way its meant to be played right guys? lol

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Dys probably has the right answer . Thanks for your answer though Aada, its real helpful ;)

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Wow there is still ATi vs Nvidia people out there. Its just like when I was a boy and we used to fight at school over which was best between the Spectrum and Commodore(C64 tbh :eek: ).

You gave a typical smartarse mine-is-better-than-yours answer Aada, which doesn't help anyone.

Yes I hate Xmas and yes I am in a stinking mood.

Aada

Part of the furniture
im not a ATI vs Nvidia freak thanks was just stating it works well on my card.. ive had both ATI/Nvidia and ATI overall has worked better for me but i don't dislike Nvidia either.

you took it completely the wrong way.

Just keep trying different drivers thats the only way to fix it unfortunatly.

Trem

I'm sorry Aada, I didn't mean it to sound so harsh. I was having a shocking morning.

Once again I'm sorry.

:(

Hate Xmas, miss my dad.

:(

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I've got an X800pro and still have the same problems. In fact, BF is an nVidia 'showcase' product. Its just shitty code, simple as that.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Ive turned down some stuff, and it plays a bit better, but still very slowly compared to vanilla :(

Wij

I am a FH squatter
BF2 is an incredibly shoddy product. In fact the original was so trashily coded it was untrue too. The fonts didn't even scale properly on the GUI. What kind of schoolboy error is that ? Anyway BF2 still looks pretty crap but runs like a slideshow on anything but the latest ninja PC. Muppets.

(P.S. Crap game anyway.)

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Wij said:
(P.S. Crap game anyway.)

That's the problem Wij, it isn't. It's a brilliant game, which is why so many people (like me) stick with it, and grit our teeth, despite the shoddy code.

Trancor

Fledgling Freddie
Runs fine on my pc, which isn't a cutting edge ninja pc. And it can be both a brilliant game and utter crap, depends on how everyone else plays. Memory will improve the performance so stick some more in and it'll run fine.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
throdgrain said:
My son very kindly this morning bought me the SF expansion pack for BF2, so I thought Id give it a go :)
First, I installed it, which patched BF2 back to 1.1 (I think!) so the game wouldnt play.
I then repatched it all to 1.12, and it works.
However, it is so laggy! The fps must be very very low, I cant turn around without it lagging. I went back to vanilla BF2, and that seems ok, so is it just how SF is at the moment, or is it me?
My pc is a year old I know, and Im just about to upgrade a couple of things, but I would have thought a 3500-64/6800GT/2 gig ram could have at least made this game playable?
Help me out chaps, before I start slagging off BF2 again :p

How much more ram do you reckon I should get then, or do you not bother to read all of the threads ? ;)

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
I've got a so-called ninja pc (or at least I think so) and even vanilla BF2 lags at times. the hdd just starts to crank yet nothing seems to be happening. tbh I blame all of the vanilla varient's shiteness on network issues (apart from the bloody fonts, nice one there Wij).

it seems BF2:SF is very tough on your gfx card / cpu, all the more so with it's gimped engine. I've heard tell on these forums that there's something like a 20fps performance hit (or was it 20%, I forget). Now that's something you will certainly notice in this day and age o0

still, if you're playing vanilla BF2 again Throdders old bean, give us a shout when and where, and I'll come and show you how crap I am :)

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Vanilla works fine for me, I dont play it much though mate, and when I do its mostly cos I wandered into there stone drunk like I did last night :D
Even getting into a server is a drama in that game! Such crap really, a superb idea of a game let down by the people who made it :)

PS if you still use irc, you're always welcome to idle in #xatrix then you'll know if I got lost and went into bf2 lol :)

Trancor

Fledgling Freddie
Strange that you have problems with the game.
I use an AMD Athlon 64 3200+,2GB ram,Geforce 6600gt 128MB(Not PCI-E), and a SB audigy 2 and it runs great on medium settings(not great at full but it still runs). I have 2 Hard drives though and have windows on one and the paging file on the other (which I've heard improves performance). Changed a few bios setting to. AGP apeture is set to 256mb. But it could always be your connection. Hungover and missed the 2GB bit of your post Throddy, so Bah Humbug ;)

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Trem said:
Its just like when I was a boy and we used to fight at school over which was best between the Spectrum and Commodore(C64 tbh :eek: ).

It was Megadrive vs SNES when I was at school.

God you're old :D

TdC

1280x1024@60Hz on my tft, with everything on full except shadows (as they make me lag when helicopters pass overhead). It runs great, but sometimes I get inexplicable lag on certain servers (sadly the freddyfield server is one of them). I too have the game on one disk and doze on another, but it starts to churn the hdd and the game judders to a halt :/

throdgrain

FH is my second home
I just had the inexplicable lag thing while playing vanilla BF2. Whats all that about? I was on my own, not another player in sight, and it was running so slowly it was almost frame by frame !
This game is worse now for me than when it came out! Amazing :(

Trem

Your processor simply can't cope with anything more demanding than solitaire throd. Get an Intel for gods sake.

:p

Requ!em

Fledgling Freddie
throdgrain said:
I just had the inexplicable lag thing while playing vanilla BF2. Whats all that about? I was on my own, not another player in sight, and it was running so slowly it was almost frame by frame !
This game is worse now for me than when it came out! Amazing :(

Nvidia Forceware 81.98, 6800GT and Battlefield 2 don't mix =) There are many reports on the NZone and NVNews forums that 81.98 dropped FPS by up to two thirds in BF2 when using a 6800GT. I suggest reverting to 81.95 or 78.05 if your main game is Battlefield 2.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Guess what ? Im running 81.98 :)
Hello Requiem, you've been a mine of usefull imformation for years, many thanks yet again :D

Aada

Part of the furniture
I noticed my loading times/frame rate went up when i upgraded to x850pro 256mb and 2 gigs of ram.

i run the game on all high settings now with full AA looks gorgeous and runs a hell of alot better.

When i had 1 gig of ram the game ran ok but sometimes it did stutter like a slide show when i first entered the game.

Now the game runs a dream.

With experiance of both Nvida/ATI i find ATI runs better then Nvidia once you have the drivers sorted but the drivers are a hell of alot better then they used to be i am running the latest drivers and don't have problems on any games atm.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Hmmm well to be honest I had a 9800pro before this, it was fast but it was a pain in the arse. If it played one game good then it would play another badly :(
Anyway, Ive tried several different drivers now, and they all still give that random lag. I used to play it on 2x AA with everything on full except dynamic shadows, and it played fine, lately Ive tried it it down to medium on a lot of stuff, and it still lags, so stuff it, Ill try again when the next patch comes out (for 5 minutes).
I dont want to start old discussions up again, but well... tbh ..... a game from Steam would never perform as bad as this, and even if it did a patch would be out within the week to sort it.
EA imo just dont think like that.

TdC

I had a 6600GT before my sli, and while I had the general impression that it ran far smoother it would still sometimes lock and the game would suddenly go 1fps while the hdd chugged for a minute or so.
this still happens with two 7800GT's, two gigs of ram and the game running off some SATAII disks leading me to believe that it only happens when a certain set of conditions are met: normally a network induced d/c makes the game judder and suddenly you're off the server. this strange lag has me juddering all over the place, or not being able to move (and gets me dead mostly, which is super fucking frustrating tbh) but I stay connected to the server. which is a bit strange imo. also I tend to get it on the FreddyField server most, hardly ever on say, an official EA server. tis a strange thing :/

Aada

Part of the furniture
I pitty people who spend money on that SLI crap tell me do you actually know of ANY game that uses that? i can't find a single game that uses that stuff.

But then i hear someone say but they will use it within a years time but then i hit back with but something better will be out by then.

Seriously SLI x2 7800 is a joke your not running the games better then people without it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom