Are inter realm msgs a good idea?

R

Rigon-Noir-

I ask becuase i think as a rule they probably are, just i saw a bad side today when we were moving in on Ish through the gate and we saw an ant filling up which my commander at the time told me to waste (i was in a reaver). Anyway, following orders like a good little soldier i moved out of the warpgate and waited, saw the ant, moved in and destroyed it.
then, this comes.......(person shall remane nameless)
"you are the lamest person to ever play a game by camping ANTs, go do something usefull"

I tried to reply with "are you serious" but i was already on ignore.

Now, is it really any different to a fleet of reavers waiting outside a warpgate for a Galaxy or even worse, people camping spawn tubes, its is all part of trying to win the battles right? i mean come on.

Ahh well <sighs>

Noir BR10 Adv Hack/Infil/Reaver/AMS
Rigon BR6 Spec Assault/Eng

Serving WRK and The Vanu Sovereignty

S

SilverHood

its quite handy for a sniper

see a grunt moving across the distance

"/tell namexxx hey, spare a min to help a n00b?"
namexxx tells yousure, what do you need help with
the guy stops, and splat, he gets sniped

/tell namexxx just stand still so I can get my second shot in ;)
namexx tells ur sad bastard, i'm never falling for that again

namexxx was just sniped by silverhood

the sad thing is, I have done this about 10 times now

:rolleyes:

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

LOL!

You are a right bastard, Silver. :D

B

bone_idle

Ive been caught by about 3 reavers camping a warpgate in my galaxy. I got killed twice. So yes i think it is lame to camp warpgates and camp spawn tubes.

How is camping spawn tubes and warpgates helping your empire win battles?.

Its just racking up kills for yourself.

D

Deadmanwalking

Think Aki leaderboard on NC werner, he sits there camping spawn tubes with a jacky. Not juss him but his outfit from the looks of it won't hack a base and will wait for anouther lot to so they can camp the spawn tubes for longer, racking up kills.

R

Rigon-Noir-

Well, every soldier that doesnt make it out of the spawn room is another one mising from the battle for 25-30 seconds so that helps :p

Bone, how is it lame, you have a Gal, you can bring in troops, why wouldnt people want to stop you.

It's war mate, no tactics are unfair if they help you win.

Noir BR11 Adv Hack/Infil/Reaver/AMS

S

SilverHood

dunno, camping spawn tubes for 10 mins, then hacking is pretty good xp

but Aki deffo needs to see the real world (killed him a few times), and he aint "that" good.

Getting one shotted at spawn tubes aint fun.. after it happens the first time, just spawn somewhere else

R

Rigon-Noir-

LOL, and as for Silver, i can see some of your victims spending their entire planetside life waiting to return the favour you nasty git :D

Noir BR11 Adv Hack/Infil/Reaver/AMS

S

Summo

Inter-faction communication is great. I've used it to talk to BW peeps who aren't Vanu which is nice, but I've seen it used most when complementing the enemy on a job well done.

I got killed by an infil while I was hacking a tower last night and afterward he sent a /tell saying 'Unlucky, mate. I just happened to be walking past when I saw you duck inside.' and we ended up having a conversation.

Several times I've complemented people on a good shot, or the enemy have sent me similar nice messages.

It's all good. :)

O

old.Dillinja

Does take some of the feel away from the game being able to speak to your enemies. But, since you lose nothing for dying there is hardly any 'you fookin noob, wtf u do that for?' messages. Well, I haven't recieved any yet anyway.

S

SilverHood

if you couldn't speak with the other factions, then people would use irc or whatever instead

O

old.Cordain

Originally posted by SilverHood

Hehe from time to time I ask my victim for med kits.
When they stop to reply I stick my amp up in their arse :cool:

So far none have been rude after my little tricks.
Usual reply is something like: "oh you sneaky bastard =)"

G

Gekul

Is a good thing imo. One of the things I disliked about DaoC was the lack of communication. Makes it almost bot like. You can congratulate someone on a good tactic or nice shot.
There is the possibility of someone using it for a whine, but I've never recieved one yet.

S

Summo

Introduces the possibility of proper spies, too. An outfit member creates an 'enemy' character (possibly with a single additional account shared by the outfit?) and communicates enemy movements to his commander.

Maybe this happens already, maybe it doesn't. I like to think that it does. :)

All's fair in love and war, etc.

S

SilverHood

but why bother spying? a CR3 commander can see enemies
and hotspots show fights anyway

it has no real tactical advantage

S

Summo

Of course it does. If you can tell your commander that the enemy are talking about moving en masse to a particular base, then you have time to set up a defence or ambush.

But I take your point. The advantages are probably not worth the hassle of runing a separate account.

T

the_smurflord

I quite like inter-realm communication.

This morning:

Standing on the wall of some base, I got taken down by a sniper.
Seconds later I recieved a tell saying "That was for my brother" (a person in my daoc guild).

So I re-quipped my phoenix, stood behind a wall where I was totally out of sight from any sniper and started firing a stream of rockets round the corner, up te hill and into the sniper.
Seconds later I send the same person saying, "That was for me".

I think it adds something to the game, really being able to taunt your opponents.

F

Faeldawn

Inter faction comms are a great idea imho, had some really funny convo's with several vanu so far several times from cloakers who i kill with my boltdriver when they are trying to knife me, once from a vanu ANT driver who ran me over while i was repairing my gal (bastard :))
However, all i ever get from TR is "***k you you ***king lame twat" or similar insults.

Then again, thats what /ignore is for :)

O

old.Tyraette

thats the fking funniest thing ive seen in ages

:clap:

D

Deadmanwalking

but why bother spying? a CR3 commander can see enemies
and hotspots show fights anyway

it has no real tactical advantage

This would be true if sony had put any of it in game.

O

old.m0000

you can x-empire msg?

lol being x-daoc i didnt even try :p

P

[PS]Venom

It's a useful thing, means you have to be careful what you say in local as enemies can hear it.

I remember one big blooper I made while jacking an enemy AMS. I mistold to local instead of outfit.

"Yea I got the AMS on the hill, jacking now"

Needless to say I had to run very very quickly, as I'd just blown about 4 of them up with a boomer.

S

Summo

Ooh shit! I didn't know enemies could hear /local messages. :uhoh:

P

[PS]Venom

I believe they can, either that or someone spotted me trying to jack the AMS.

P

[PS]Nova

You can definitely hear the quick message thingy, and I think all local tells too..

Would make sense. Trying to remember whether I could from when I was around a load of enemy troops once, but can't remember exactly.. think you can tho.

D

Deady

Yes you can hear enemy voice macros.

I remember running Angel over once and saying vvs (sorry) and i got an amusing tell back :p

C

Cernos

I think the inter realm messaging is a good thing on the whole. Not had any abusive messages in several days of playing and several times have used it to message my assailant or victim to send or receive (very rarely cos I'm such a noob) compliments. Nice to be able to tell someone "well played" when they beat you fair and square.

As for 'spying', in a game that's so fast moving and fast changing as Planetside, spying doesn't pay any dividends. Things are constantly changing. Earlier was with a TR force who completely captured a whole island. Then I logged for 2 hours to cook dinner and when I came back, the entire island belonged to VS. Since the shifting sands of bases is too rapid and holding bases brings too little reward once the xps have been harvested (something they need to look at really), there's very little to be gained from spying.

P

[PS]Nova

Originally posted by Deady
Yes you can hear enemy voice macros.

I remember running Angel over once and saying vvs (sorry) and i got an amusing tell back :p

I remember that, was talking to DMW at the time, when out of nowhere, splat. ;)

And yes, I remember you saying "Sorry!" and messaging you about it.

Shame my gunner has defected to the joys of stealth suits and sneaking around for awhile or I'd show you "Sorry!" with the guns of my magrider :)

Still, maybe I will at some point :)

:touch:

D

Deady

Magriders seem to be getting better thesedays :(

Im convinced theyve secretely reduced the armour on the van somehow.

Users who are viewing this thread