Archers and 1.88

GrivneKelmorian

Fledgling Freddie
What are your views on the 1.88 archer changes?
What will you do and so forth?

Discuss!

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
As long as we don't go near towers/keeps/bridges we will be safe I guess.

I also think Tesla should come back from retirement and help Stinkbox out.

The Klisimba/Porkybelly/... zerg is already back.

Malogrin

Loyal Freddie
I saw a 1.88 Us ranger video , and the guy just own everything with 1 critical shot and 1 point blank shot !

Sad , they going to be first dps class :mad:

Basic_X

Fledgling Freddie
Well, ive been on US with the changes for a week now and well. to put it short - im never going to laugh at archers ever again. there are archers EVERYWERE. as a caster you can never be safe due to the crittshot penetrating bladeturn. ive only managed to survive for this long becose most of the archers are just stand there for me to qc mezz, then lifetap their ass. but when they are out of range im toast, realy toast. sheildtanks dont even block a 3rd of the arrows they once did. a serious increase of damage (more then once archers have 2 shotted my buffed pet.(and me, but im a caster so not that hard). they are a constant pain in the ass. beeing a mid ive mostly faced scouts (lots of scouts ;>), not so many rangers. but ive allso seen shitload of hunters. guess archers will become more fotm then ever before :p

aika

Can't get enough of FH
good! gonna clear the dust off my scout ;>

GrivneKelmorian

Fledgling Freddie
indeed.. archers are now more of a dps class.. my poor nightshade got 3 shotted by a scout, critshot, rf, rf.. critshot for 950ish and rf's for about 450..

together with speedsouts and soj ml lines, the archers survivability is extreme.

Takhasis

Can't get enough of FH
if you want to hear the real story, go read the archer qq's on www.critshot.com - proper info from the proper archers, not the fotm rollers

aika

Can't get enough of FH
lol read the critshot forums a bit...
35% miss rate =|
it seems that enchantments no longer work on bows ( as in you get 0% to hit bonus instead of the 35% one)

Cromcruaich

Can't get enough of FH
if you want to hear the real story, go read the archer qq's on www.critshot.com - proper info from the proper archers, not the fotm rollers

Just looks like whine from the melee archer crew. Maybe a bow class shouldnt be able to beat non bow stealthers in combat? Player skill being equal.

Really not looking forward to getting critshotted while moving though, its gonna be ridiculous. Or it would of been ridiculous if the population was anywhere near where it should be.

megadave

I am a FH squatter
Only played against them on US servers so far.

As a solo 50 savage they took me down easily since i have no defence against them, although if i just ran in the opposite direction then i was always ok. Only when i went for them they got me :<

As a 50 healer (only grouped obv) i barely even noticed them shooting me. They're overall DPS is pretty crappy unless theres a whole load of them assisting and the miss rates are just laughable :D

As a caster i wasnt really phased since after they'd critshot me i could just quickcast while the rest of their shots bounce off my bladeturn, brittle guards or they just miss. Although when playing healer near a seige zerg it can be annoying when 3-4 archers instafrag a caster in the group.

The only thing is at the start of the patch everyone and their mate was playing an archer so a load of them together will practically drop you instantly and everyone cries nerf. But in normal circumstances i dont think theyre anything to be afraid of.

Cromcruaich

Can't get enough of FH
Only played against them on US servers so far.

As a solo 50 savage they took me down easily since i have no defence against them, although if i just ran in the opposite direction then i was always ok. Only when i went for them they got me :<

As a 50 healer (only grouped obv) i barely even noticed them shooting me. They're overall DPS is pretty crappy unless theres a whole load of them assisting and the miss rates are just laughable :D

As a caster i wasnt really phased since after they'd critshot me i could just quickcast while the rest of their shots bounce off my bladeturn, brittle guards or they just miss. Although when playing healer near a seige zerg it can be annoying when 3-4 archers instafrag a caster in the group.

The only thing is at the start of the patch everyone and their mate was playing an archer so a load of them together will practically drop you instantly and everyone cries nerf. But in normal circumstances i dont think theyre anything to be afraid of.

Well doesnt sound too bad, but 2 archers assisting on critshot on cloth caster is surely just about instadeath most of the time?

Dard

Part of the furniture
Well doesnt sound too bad, but 2 archers assisting on critshot on cloth caster is surely just about instadeath most of the time?

Yup & speaking as an archer i think its fekking stupid :(

Tesla Monkor

Fledgling Freddie
Assuming they don't miss.
And only on a solo caster, a grouped caster will almost always have DI. (And if they don't kick your healer.)

The critshot is truly an alpha strike. It does decent damage (but less than before), but it gives you a few seconds to react, simply because it doesn't break your Bubble/Brittle.

I'll dust Tesla off once it arrives - haven't had the urge to play much DAOC lately, other than the skald in the set group. There's not many archers left, so I don't think they'll ever be a real issue for grouped casters on Dyvet.

We'll see. 1.88 as it is right now is a broken patch. There's plenty of bugs left that went live. :/

Cadelin

Resident Freddy
And only on a solo caster, a grouped caster will almost always have DI. (And if they don't kick your healer.)

I didn't realise crit shot was on the same reuse timer as DI.

Get better hp/con in your template. Use spec AF get better resists etc etc Inform your healers that you are about to take damage (on vent) so they can pre-heal rather than say "zomg why didn't you heal me?!?!" when you run out of range while we are low on power!

Support chars need :fluffle:
not :twak:

Cromcruaich

Can't get enough of FH

The critshot is truly an alpha strike. It does decent damage (but less than before), but it gives you a few seconds to react, simply because it doesn't break your Bubble/Brittle.

I'll dust Tesla off once it arrives - haven't had the urge to play much DAOC lately, other than the skald in the set group. There's not many archers left, so I don't think they'll ever be a real issue for grouped casters on Dyvet.

We'll see. 1.88 as it is right now is a broken patch. There's plenty of bugs left that went live. :/

Well not really talking about grouped casters. Having two invisibles, able to duo critshot and insta kill soloers just seems ridiculous, they will simply restealth if they miss, and try again, 15 seconds later. Insta killing people from stealth really isnt good for the game.

And as sure as eggs is eggs, there is gonna be a lot of archers taking advantage of this (well I say a lot - a majority of those left). Its doubly bad on duvet, because its not like there is a lot of action spread out where you can go to avoid the duos trios, your stuck at bridges or siege hot spots.

liloe

It's my birthday today!
What will you do and so forth?

Discuss!

Respec to bow, got temp planned already =) Used to be bow spec in OF, then Censi told me how much cooler melee was and I respecced ^^ So basically I'll go home to the good ol' times then :p

censi

Can't get enough of FH
I saw a 1.88 Us ranger video , and the guy just own everything with 1 critical shot and 1 point blank shot !

"everything" = pretty awefull roglords in this case. without trying to sound too disrespectfull to the opposition.

----------

Like tesla says 1.88 which is the long awaited archer patch. Seems to have enraged the archer community.

The main issue are the same issues archer has always had.

a) miss rates are too high.
b) generally damage is too low.
c) hunters seem rather depressed that self buffs have gone into the archery line (although this a minor point with spec AF on bots coming)

----------

On paper making bow speed dex based sounds good but apparently the new scaling doesnt mean if your packing 400 dex your gonna be seeing those big old school stonking hits again (aparently the optimal dex spot is 386 so even like dex based races make crap archers still as that cap is easy to hit on anything). Also before it even went live mythic lowered the crit shot damage and adjusted the armour tables for arrows V cloth froma swarm of negative feedback from, yes u guessed it, casters who were concerned it would be too overpowered. :)

Scouts generally seems happier and so they should be (and deserve to be). 1.87 sees the end of the so called "ranger" superiority. Rangers are offically the worst class in the game now with melee offense taking a big nerf with the DW nerf. Scouts getting free pathfinding and shield boosts. Hunters still having that ridiculous garrotting pet.

in a battle of the archers the ranger is the only class that gets no chance to use his bow versus his rival classes, and his melee is now inferior. He also has no defense boosts to offset the DW nerf. seems like a treble shafting to me but im prolly biased.

Also self spec AF with stardrop gem which was a awsome thing for hunters and rangers is now free on all bots to all realms. Meaning the whole self buff lines in PF and BC is completly useless apart from a speed should and dadd. but worse than that means that mid and hib are packing spec AF's now on all classes.

One thing this patch does is makes it much more appealing for all the archer classes to spec archery. Hunters imo now make supreme archer hybrids. Scouts will be a lot more confident in their ability to trade/dick swing with classes. Even rangers i think would be foolish to not spec archery (in terms of effectiveness)

as with anything though u need to play it to see. At least they have tried to change it.. they have definetly gimped rangers into the ground though in comparision with the other archer classes and archers generally are still lacking cutting edge versus visuals....

lpep

Can't get enough of FH
made 500 k in a week casualy play in stealther grp with assist hunters <shrugs>

censi

Can't get enough of FH
unfortunetly that info is useless in terms of the balance implications of the patch...

/slap

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
will re-equip mine and farm caster mongs until they log miserable.

thergador

Fledgling Freddie
I didn't realise crit shot was on the same reuse timer as DI.
:
no but new crit shot has to fired from stealth hence you can only fire it once in a standard fight

will re-equip mine and farm caster mongs until they log miserable.
guess your hoping they fix the miss shot bug before we get it then firing 10 shot and hitting with 3 isnt fun and that with 50+16

side note pointblank shot rocks most archery class will use damage type shot PBS and crit shot with the odd long shot out off the 16 types of shot you get

Cromcruaich

Can't get enough of FH
no but new crit shot has to fired from stealth hence you can only fire it once in a standard fight

guess your hoping they fix the miss shot bug before we get it then firing 10 shot and hitting with 3 isnt fun and that with 50+16

side note pointblank shot rocks most archery class will use damage type shot PBS and crit shot with the odd long shot out off the 16 types of shot you get

I dont doubt that you can fire 10 shots and hit with 3, however, I doubt very much that that is the mean.

censi

Can't get enough of FH
the miss rate is supposed to be a bit of a shocker...

wonder if mages would stand for them casting spells and getting a "miss" message.

you cant afford to like attack something on a ranged class (archers aint strong in melee) and just get misses.

Zoia

Can't get enough of FH
indeed.. archers are now more of a dps class.. my poor nightshade got 3 shotted by a scout, critshot, rf, rf.. critshot for 950ish and rf's for about 450..

together with speedsouts and soj ml lines, the archers survivability is extreme.
From what i've read, RF does crap damage, so that was probably two PB shots. ;)

I'm not sure what to make of the changes, tbh. Lots of people on VN whine, but some say they like them.
If 2-3 archers assist on a caster, i don't see why he shouldn't die. He would have died with todays archery as well. I know my skald and zerker would.
Some archers on VN whine about too low damage on crit shot, but it's basically a ranged PA now, that doesn't require positioning. Ye, I know it doesn't have a followup stun like PA-CD. :p
Stuff like PB shots seems quite nice. What doesn't seem too good is the missrate and not being able to hold an arrow before releasing.

Overall, it looks ok'ish. Might have been better to simply do some small fixes to the old system, like have critshot penetrate defence/BT and make 50 archery worth speccing.
I don't really like the idea of making archers into stealthed casters, but who knows, it may not be so bad once i try it, if i will ever play my hunter.

I bet we'll see lots of new archers out though. Many of them assisting eachother, because most of the new ones wont be the solo type.
Because of this, i'm sure some will think the archery system is unbalanced and OPed, but lots of assasting archers today can kill stuff too. We'll just see more of it after the archery patch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom