Apparently its ok to.......

G

supply me with a lcd screen with 4 lazy pixels (2 areas of 2) (green and purple) as a warrantly repalcement for my previous lcd with 4 dead pixels (all in one place), how does that work, i should have stuck with my 4 dead pixels together as they were'nt that noticeable but i thoguh if i could get one with no faults i would, stupid me, the @helpdesk@ and i use that term in the loosest of terms, are hiding behind the class 2 iso standard for tft m,onitors, saying that there needs to be 7 separate lazy/dead pixels before they will replace the monitor, the thing is, the replacement monitor is refurbished (around the same ag) as the one i originally had, so that means that either it weas sent back as it had more than 7 pixels broken and they fixed 2 and sent it back out or it was sent back for another reason that they could fix, also the monitor has a scratch on the base bezel, my old monitor didnt have a scratch on it, whats my chances of getting a replacement with it having a scratch on the bezel or can anyone think of anotherr way i could get it replaced.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
brooky said:
supply me with a lcd screen with 4 lazy pixels (2 areas of 2) (green and purple) as a warrantly repalcement for my previous lcd with 4 dead pixels (all in one place), how does that work, i should have stuck with my 4 dead pixels together as they were'nt that noticeable but i thoguh if i could get one with no faults i would, stupid me, the @helpdesk@ and i use that term in the loosest of terms, are hiding behind the class 2 iso standard for tft m,onitors, saying that there needs to be 7 separate lazy/dead pixels before they will replace the monitor, the thing is, the replacement monitor is refurbished (around the same ag) as the one i originally had, so that means that either it weas sent back as it had more than 7 pixels broken and they fixed 2 and sent it back out or it was sent back for another reason that they could fix, also the monitor has a scratch on the base bezel, my old monitor didnt have a scratch on it, whats my chances of getting a replacement with it having a scratch on the bezel or can anyone think of anotherr way i could get it replaced.

Wow, ten commas, one full stop. Drop it and claim on the insurance?

Whipped

Part of the furniture
I suppose it depends if their warranty says you'd get a new item as a replacement. A damaged, refurbished item as a replacement sounds pretty crappy to me. What was the company by the way? Name and Shame please :)

Oh, and as for rights, as always, citizens advise bureau should be able to give you some points. Or is it the consumer advice bureau. Does that exist, or did I dream it all?

Draylor

Part of the furniture
And the moral of that story is: dont buy Samsung stuff.

G

its a fujitsu siemens, now they are sending a courier to pick up my scratched monitor so they can "look" at it in the office, then they are going to decide if its a warrantly replacement or not, i tihnk they are just dicking me about so they can get the monitor in their and then say to me i have to pay for it to be delivered back to my house. or i fcould be being cynical

Draylor

Part of the furniture
gah knew Id get the company name wrong.

Ill. Add. A. Few. Extra. Fullstops. And. Capital. Letters. To. Make. Up. For. The. Missing. Ones. In. Brookys. Posts. :m00:

KevinUK

Can't get enough of FH
From my understanding all of these LCDs have clauses on them which states something like there must be at least X dead pixels before the monitor is deemed 'broken'?

CRT > LCD. :m00:

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
that's true, and Brooky already mentiond that. it's a shitty agreement imo: sure one (sub) pixel being broken is only one of millions, but hey once you notice the bugger it's getting on your tits forevermore. if I stick a needle in my skin it's only a tiny hole compared to the area of my skin, but you bet I'll be noticing :/

I looked at Iiyama's clause before getting my lcd, and yeah it frankly sucks: so many dead sub pixels in such and such an area, so many fully dead pixels etc etc. before you can RMA the bugger.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
brooky said:
its a fujitsu siemens, now they are sending a courier to pick up my scratched monitor so they can "look" at it in the office, then they are going to decide if its a warrantly replacement or not, i tihnk they are just dicking me about so they can get the monitor in their and then say to me i have to pay for it to be delivered back to my house. or i fcould be being cynical

fujitsu siemens did the same to us, took us 3 goes to get a decent monitor... first one had several "lazy" pixels as you put it, the next one appeared to have a whole area of the monitor not working properly, then im inclined to believe we got the first one we sent back, back the 3rd time, before finally getting a decent one... just keep pestering them via email and phone :p

Sar

Part of the furniture
He probably thinks all those dead pixels are full stops.

bigfoot

Fledgling Freddie
Sorry to hear you're having problems Brooky.

I'm right fed up with my experience of buying my first LCD TV.

I bought it from Aria.co.uk, a site I've bought from for almost 4 years. They resell Dell and other stuff.

I went for a Dell W2600 LCD TV, not a great model but reasonable price for size and good enough for bedroom / office which is where it is supposed to be, great quality when playing stuff through my PC and DVD but only so-so through the Cable box. Still fine though.

The model was advertised with a 1 year next-day swap warranty as per Dell's normal standards.

After 6 weeks the speakers started hissing to the point where they produced nothing but static after the TV has been on for 30 minutes or so. Doing some research I found this to be a not uncommon fault with the model with people having had replacements from Dell and, in some cases, free upgrades as Dell no longer sell this model, only two newer and larger models on their UK site.

I contacted Dell to report the fault and they admitted it was a known issue that could be corrected through some work at their site but according to their records I was not the registered owner of the unit - Aria still was. I phoned up Aria and they said I could transfer ownership and sent me instructions to do so. I followed their instructions, only to be told by Dell that the unit was actually in the Dell warehouse. This struck me as odd seeing as it was sitting on a desk within slapping distance. On insisting I had it and explaining how it had been purchased they then said that it had been sold to Aria as part of a bulk "as is" shipment with no future support or warranties.

I went back to Aria and they said they would contact Dell to get it sorted out, however Dell apparently are standing firm so Aria arranged to have it returned to them last week and assured me I would have a replacement by Monday of this week.

During this 18 day period from reporting the fault until today I've been told on three different occassions Aria would phone me to update me on the situation but each time they've failed to do so (e.g. on Monday they said they would call Tuesday afternoon to give me the latest, they didn't call at all) leading me to chase them to find out what was going on. Finally today they've magically managed to locate a replacement unit in their own warehouse, even though they've been sold out of model on their site for a couple of weeks now. I'm supposedly going to receive this replacement in the next couple of days and I'm told it is in mint condition, but I've read numerous reports of people having recurring issues with this model that have lead to multiple replacements so I'm not holding out much hope.

Moral of this story: Don't buy Dell stuff through Aria. Or Dell LCD TVs for that matter.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Bigfoot! Good God, I thought you were dead! How are you, you miserable Scottish bastard? ;)

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
If you plugin a higher amp power cable, it should blow the monitor's power unit and get you a replacement?

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Most manufacturers have spec for the amount of dead pixels on a screen. With Panasonic on the Avionics side we quote 4 dead pixels. You cannot repair these pixels you have to replace the LCD. The only repair that can be done is when a line goes out (line drop out) as this is usually a problem with the driving circuitry or the LCD is misalligned with the matrix connections.

Basically if your going to buy an LCD make sure you know what the manufacturers standards are. There are alot of cheap end products out there. The companies that sell these can do so becuase they buy up LCDs that do not meet or have failed the big suppliers specifications. If its cheap there is usually a reason.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Escape said:
If you plugin a higher amp power cable, it should blow the monitor's power unit and get you a replacement?

rofl.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom