Apache 2.2.8 and PHP 5.2.6

Ashala

One of Freddy's beloved
Hello there

im currently trying to build a Developer VPC image where i have PHP and Apache (+sql but thats not the current problem)

i start of with installing Apache 2.2.8 which goes fine and all

then i download the PHP MSI package version 5.2.6 and at the end of the installation it comes up with a rather long error window and then the Apache service is shut down and wont start again until i uninstall PHP

has anyone similiar problems and know how to fix it ?

thanks in advance :)

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hi Ashala

I think posting the error message would help to solve the problem (plus any relevant details about your operating system etc.).

That aside, have you tried using a LAMP (WAMP on Windows) setup utility that installs Apache, PHP, and MySQL together? These are usually hassle free.

Kind regards

Ashala

One of Freddy's beloved
Thanks alot Jonty

the WAMP worked like a charm (so far) and since that works im not gonna try to trigger the error again.

cheers!

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
If you're working in a Virtual PC or VMWare image for Apache/PHP, I'd recommend using Linux or BSD as your base rather than Windows. Whilst Apache does run on Windows, it's not really best suited to it. What's more, if you just do a shell install of *nix, you'll be able to run a VM with significantly lower memory usage than Windows.

In addition to Apache, PHP and MySQL, also install Samba, so you can share the file system with your Windows development machine, then you can work natively from Windows, but run the server and tools in their proper environment.

Chilly

Balls of steel
For development there is virtually no reason to chose linux over windows, especially if the dev environments in use are windows. I do all of my dev on windows and have instances of postgres,mysql,apache[2,2.2] and all sorts of other crap and it works fine.

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
Chilly: That's all completely fine and reasonable when you're running AMP on your native OS, but Ashala has already stated that Apache, PHP and so forth are all running inside a virtual machine. In that situation, it makes far more sense to set up the virtual environment to be as close as possible to the live site (which for Apache/PHP will be Linux or BSD), even when still using Windows for development tools and coding.

The part where a Linux virtual machine requires less system resources than a Windows machine is just a bonus, really.

Chilly

Balls of steel
fair point re the VM - I wasnt paying enough attention ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom