Anyone watching American Idol?

Crocky

Banned
Most music contests are pretty much boring, even in my country, Idol & X Factor aren't worth watching but I do like American Idol very much. Even more then than Lost/BSG/SG etc.

American Idol became the best watched program in the world, it has finally beaten the Grammy's which was the best watched program untill this year.

The reason why AI is so good (imo) is because of the judges (Simon Cowell) and the added stories to each character , it's more than just a singing contest.

Anyway, if you're not watching it and you don't know what to do, try following AI. Season 5 is again exceptional good.

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
I'm going to disagree. American Idol is utter shit.

Stories to each character? What? They play basketball? Wow.

During the preliminary rounds it can be entertaining thanks to the terrible performances of various ego-fueled eegits. For some reason they possess somewhat more self-obsession than anything I accidently watched from the UK. I have no problem watching it "if it's on". Choice, however, dictates that it clashes with My Name Is Earl.

The ideal of choosing it over something genuinely brilliant like Battlestar or (admittedly less brilliant than BSG) Stargate seems terrifying.

Whipped

Part of the furniture
I've said it once and it looks like I'm going to have to say it again :(

Reality TV of this sort is a Cancer on the TV of our generation. All it does is help multiply the cancer cells, otherwise known as Wanabee Wankers!

I agree that some of the preliminary rounds can be funny to watch. But they are funny to watch in the same way that watching a man get kicked in the balls can be funny. You may as well sit down with Beadle or Mr. Norden's Laughter File ffs!

Reality TV is killing real TV with real actors. Shows such as Firefly and Threshold get cancelled before they even run a full season, and why? Because the viewing firgures they should get are hijacked by the unwashed massess of America sitting down to watch another does of some Wanabee loser fuck struting their stuff on prime time :(

The only reality TV that should ever be allowed is "I'll do anything to be on Telly" that was on The Word :)

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
How about, "No I'm not watching it because, a. I'm not a teenaged girl, and b. I'm not a brain-damaged teenaged girl"

Clown

Part of the furniture
I am. I don't care what anyone thinks because there are people in these programmes who can sing, and I enjoy watching the audition process, even if the final product is a load of shit.

Draylor

Part of the furniture
Whipped said:
Shows such as Firefly and Threshold get cancelled before they even run a full season, and why?
Because they are pish and noone watched them.

For the record neither of Threshold's timeslots scheduled it against reality pish from what I recall :m00:

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
Draylor said:

For the record neither of Threshold's timeslots scheduled it against reality pish from what I recall :m00:

And on the other hand FireFly was giving a shit time slot shown in the wrong order and cancelled well before its time. It also had a movie made from it so it was obviously really shit. Most shows now dont take off until there into their 2nd series.

Whipped

Part of the furniture
Draylor said:

Ok, you trolled the thread and called some good shows pish. But what do you actually think about shite like American Idol?

Draylor

Part of the furniture
Uh, no - I was just stating facts.

Idol is trash in the same way as its UK versions. If the audition clips Ive seen on TV are anything to go by they hold auditions in the trailer parks that are still mourning the demise of Jerry Springer.

Threshold was just bad sci-fi that got terrible ratings: both in its original Tuesday slot and in its 'last chance' slot on a Friday. From what I recall it was shown on CBS: not normally the quickest to cancel shows for poor ratings (a title held by Fox).

Firefly is just a perfect example of pish. (To be fair that is my opinion of 90%+ of what passes for sci-fi shows: it doesnt usually stop them being popular and running for years)

Calaen

Draylor said:
Uh, no - I was just stating facts.

Idol is trash in the same way as its UK versions. If the audition clips Ive seen on TV are anything to go by they hold auditions in the trailer parks that are still mourning the demise of Jerry Springer.

Threshold was just bad sci-fi that got terrible ratings: both in its original Tuesday slot and in its 'last chance' slot on a Friday. From what I recall it was shown on CBS: not normally the quickest to cancel shows for poor ratings (a title held by Fox).

Firefly is just a perfect example of pish. (To be fair that is my opinion of 90%+ of what passes for sci-fi shows: it doesnt usually stop them being popular and running for years)

So you are probably not the best person to give an opinion of a good/bad scifi if you think that 90%+ is pish

Draylor

Part of the furniture
Given that your watching Supernatural you would be the expect in bad scifi, I bow to your greater knowledge.

Whipped

Part of the furniture
Ok, now you've peaked my curisotiy :) What would you consider the best Sci-Fi TV show from the last 25 years then?

Calaen

ok I dont usually talk to morons, but for you I will make an exception. The initial point of this thread was to discuss American Idol (CAN YOU READ?). You then go off on one and rant about how shit other shows are (You are a COCK).

Hows about you take you're face for a shit and stop posting mindless bollocks.

If you have nothing to say about AI go create a thread about how bad you think every Sci-Fi show is.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

With regards to the intial post I watch AI with my wife, after the intial idiots trying to sing the show becomes the same old same old. It is no where close to the best TV ever, I am also slightly confused with regards to the stories about the characters? if I wanted a story with characters I would read a fucking book.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I've watched American Idol a few times, its pretty funny to watch people who think they're talented get blasted by Simon Cowell :)

Calaen

Whipped said:
Ok, now you've peaked my curisotiy :) What would you consider the best Sci-Fi TV show from the last 25 years then?

Well saying as he thinks 90% + is pesh I could not possibly imagine what he actually rates as good.

Draylor

Part of the furniture
Whipped: hmmm, youve got me thinking now. Certainly nothing recent - it just does nothing for me and I get sick of it after a couple of episodes. Way off topic for this thread but if an answer comes to mind Ill add it in to some other random thread ;)

Calaen said:
The initial point of this thread was to discuss American Idol (CAN YOU READ?).
If you could read youd realise:

1. Someone else mentioned other shows, not me. They arent the greatest shows ever, werent cancelled for no reason, so I posted 2 whole lines stating that and giving an opinion. Had you chosen to ignore it the thread would have continued on its original topic ('I hate AI' or 'I watch it because X person forces me to' it seems. Im sure some folks must watch it yet so few admit to doing it out of their own free will)
2. Every thread on FH gets sidetracked onto something else. Those that dont last for 4 posts and die.

Heh, gotta love folks that throw around the all caps insults, it makes them appear so big and clever :)

Crocky

Banned
Draylor said:
Idol is trash in the same way as its UK versions.

yeah whatever , nobody cares about the UK/Canadian/Austrialian versions of Top Model/ Apprentice / Idol / ETC.

I've downloaded all. the show quality is HUGE. I'm not a yank nor a fan of US but i must admit that all their versions of ANY show > rest.

So the show i was talking about is American Idol, the one with Simon Cowell aka the best watched show in the world.

Calaen

Draylor said:
Whipped: hmmm, youve got me thinking now. Certainly nothing recent - it just does nothing for me and I get sick of it after a couple of episodes. Way off topic for this thread but if an answer comes to mind Ill add it in to some other random thread ;)

If you could read youd realise:

1. Someone else mentioned other shows, not me. They arent the greatest shows ever, werent cancelled for no reason, so I posted 2 whole lines stating that and giving an opinion. Had you chosen to ignore it the thread would have continued on its original topic ('I hate AI' or 'I watch it because X person forces me to' it seems. Im sure some folks must watch it yet so few admit to doing it out of their own free will)
2. Every thread on FH gets sidetracked onto something else. Those that dont last for 4 posts and die.

Heh, gotta love folks that throw around the all caps insults, it makes them appear so big and clever :)

How can you then pass judgement on Sci-fi shows that you by your own admission dont really like anyway?

Draylor

Part of the furniture
Calaen please learn to quote properly. If your comment has nothing to do with 90% of what I wrote dont quote the whole thing. It just adds more spam to the thread which (if I can read properly!) you already moaned at me for doing :fluffle:

And as for how I can pass judgement: Ive nothing against scifi in general but the majority of recent shows that claim to be scifi are in my opinion not very good. Am I not entitled to an opinion on them now?

Back to almost the point of the thread: thats one thing I cant argue with Crocky, American Idol gets huge viewing figures. I seem to recall it also charges more than any other US series for advertising slots (series, ignoring the Superbowl etc)

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Calaen said:
ok I dont usually talk to morons, but for you I will make an exception. The initial point of this thread was to discuss American Idol (CAN YOU READ?). You then go off on one and rant about how shit other shows are (You are a COCK).

Hows about you take you're face for a shit and stop posting mindless bollocks.

If you have nothing to say about AI go create a thread about how bad you think every Sci-Fi show is.

Actually thats not what happened. Whipped asked why firefly and others got cancelled (presumably because he liked those shows), and Draylor said that they were pish and nobody watched them.

Then lots of other people came along holding pitchforks and banners because firefly is like a religion here (I liked it too btw).

So sit down, have a Coke and a smile, and shut the fuck up.

Whipped

Part of the furniture
Crocky said:
I've downloaded all. the show quality is HUGE. I'm not a yank nor a fan of US but i must admit that all their versions of ANY show > rest.
Are you really serious? You honestly think that any show the Americans take and make a version out of is better. Now, this may be true with Reality TV (My own views on which I've already stated.) But it's certainly not true for everything!

I'll shall just mention two shows that were much better in teh English incarnations than their American conterparts.

Red Dwarf
The Office

I rest my case ;)

Crocky

Banned
Whipped said:
Are you really serious? You honestly think that any show the Americans take and make a version out of is better. Now, this may be true with Reality TV (My own views on which I've already stated.) But it's certainly not true for everything!

I'll shall just mention two shows that were much better in teh English incarnations than their American conterparts.

Red Dwarf
The Office

I rest my case ;)

well replace ANY with 99% then if that makes you feel better.

Whipped

Part of the furniture
If you're only talking about remakes of British properties, then I'd suggest a figure of 5% may be more realistic.

I don't think you'd find anyone else here who'd dissagree. Except maybe an American.

Calaen

Hes obviously trying to wind you up Whipped :p

Cause he is talking serious shit.

Draylor

Part of the furniture
Whipped said:
The Office
Time to go off on another tangent (harmless, theres still no actual American Idol discussion here)

The US version of The Office started off badly, a bad remake of a UK episode. Anyone who watched that and liked the UK version would give up on the US version immediately. The rest of season 1 wasnt alot better.

Unlike most US shows that arent instant hits it was renewed for a second season, and, as is often the way with comedies, its much improved, well worth giving it another look. Not sure if itll be shown over here anytime soon - not that it matters alot ;)

(I wont mention not liking Red Dwarf, thatll just get the lynch mobs charging again!)

Whipped

Part of the furniture
Fair enough Draylor. I think I watch maybe 2 episodes of the first season before I gave up on it. I may obtain the second season and give it another chance.

castrated_major

Fledgling Freddie
lol
now i am one who loves the AI shows but for the wrong reasons!
i am a talented singer(i think so anyway!:)) SO I LIKE TO WATCH THE PEAOPLE WHO THINK that they are awsome but they suck. then i watch the rest of the season so i can differ between the really sucky people and the really good people

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom