Anyone using or has used XBMC?

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
They look like standard linux commands so as long as the box has internet access it should sort itself out if you just type them in.

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
I've used it before. I find it best to do a proper ubuntu install, then add graphics drivers and install xbmc. You should find instructions on the XMBC forums or on their wiki.

Cyradix

FH is my second home
Never used the live cd. Had a proper ubuntu install too with xbmc installed.
The hardware acceleration works fine in Windows now, so I switched to Windows 7 + xbmc...

As for your question. Your machine needs to have internet access for those commands to work as they download everything. (assuming the live cd has all the repositories configured)

Check out : HOW-TO install XBMC for Linux on Ubuntu, a Step-by-Step Guide - XBMC

Yaka

Part of the furniture
been using xbmc for years now, and as others have said ubuntu with xbmc installed afterwards.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Haven't used it in years but after reading this thread I am going to give it a whirl, it looks to have come on in leaps and bounds since I last tried it.

Bob007

Prince Among Men
envyng I found was the easiest way to go last time I did mine with an Nvidia card. From live you need to update repositories. They are all there but have no data.

sudo apt-get update

Next grab envyng and run it. Follow the instructions. This should take care of everything.

sudo apt-get install envyng envyng-core
sudo envyng -t

Follow envyng and install the nvidia drivers. Just a case of selecting and hitting enter. Envyng will run the "setup".

Reboot and see if it's all working. Might have to drop into settings in xbmc and reconfig the screen.

sudo reboot

If its not working. Try removing and reinstalling xbmc

sudo apt-get remove xbmc-live
sudo apt-get install xbmc-live

Last update.

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo reboot

This is all done from terminal. crtl-alt and F1 (or F2) on xbmc screen or use something like putty and telnet in. Makes it so much easier.

On a side note. for sound options try alsa.

sudo apt-get install linux-sound-base alsa-base alsa-utils
sudo alsamixer

Adjust sound channels and volume to desired levels then ESC to exit and use

sudo alsactl store 0

To store and save them.

Access mefia from network.

for this you need samba. To install samba use command below.

sudo apt-get install samba smbfs

Next to need to add the settings to smb.conf. If its not there, reboot and it will be.

sudo nano /etc/samba/smb.conf

Think its ctrl and E to edit. The commands are at the bottom of nano. You need to Edit, Save(comit) and Exit, think its ctrl - e, ctrl - i and ctrl - q.
Add this to the bottom of the smb.conf file

[xbmc]
path = /home/xbmc
public = yes
guest only = yes
writable = yes
browseable = yes
force user = xbmc
inherit permissions = yes

Then you can either restart samba or just reboot. I find it easier to reboot.

sudo reboot

Go to a windows box and connect to your xbmc via IP and you should see all your nedia folders. Add all the media you want to.

This work is not my own. Just bits I've pieced togeather while playing with XBMC under nvidia graphics.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
thought the guy that didn enyng stopped working onit few years back as he is now a full time ubuntu dev and no longer has the free time? so preety sure it wont have thed rivers for ion stuff unless i am mistaken

SAS

Can't get enough of FH
I failed :(.

I tracked down the problem to no internet connection. I've got the box hard wired into the ADSL router but it keeps saying it is unable to find DHCP setup. Tried manual setup but still it looks like the box is not connecting to the net at all meaning I can't update any drivers :(. (xbox, laptop and a friends laptop all connected ok with a direct ethernet connection to ADSL router.)

I tried ubuntu but it hangs on the loading screen, dont get anywhere near the setup options :(. This might be because XBMC is still on the drive causing a conflict?

Totally stuck now :(.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
What spec is the box? Ubuntu requires 384mb ram to run it's current graphical installer which may be doing you in.

SAS

Can't get enough of FH
Box is a pentium 1.9Ghz, 1GB ram, Nivida gfxs (think it is 128mb)

Bob007

Prince Among Men
Could also try the Minimal Ubuntu install. This should give you a basic setup with network. Can install samba and ssh from here. Then as long as network connection works you can add xbmc repository.

sudo apt-get install python-software-properties pkg-config
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc
sudo apt-get update

Install g/card drivers and sound setup and then add xbmc.

sudo apt-get install xbmc xinit x11-xserver-utils
sudo apt-get update

Nice guide here. XBMCbuntu - XBMC

But all this is dependant on network connection working. From the sounds of what you've said I'd try find out why your current network connection isn't working as it looks like thats the only thing your stuck on. Might try reinstalling xbmclive while the network is connected, I noticed it get a bit broke when it fails to setup during installation.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
did you try just booting ubuntu from the live cd?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom