Advice Anyone use smart light switches?

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
If so what make? What do i need to consider?

seems theres only a few that are homekit ready. I looked at lightwave rf.

any gotchas if i try and expand later? And what does it mean a neutral wire. Obviously its not truely neutral as it needs to arry a current right?
cheers :)

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Do not use Lightwave RF, it is one-directional last time I checked. ie your homehub/automation controller will not know if a switch is on or off.

If you search here I use LightWave and also now with Echo and Samsung Smartthings (provides a bridge between Alexa and ZWave) I also can use Zigbee devices.

dysfunction

FH is my second home

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
So smart light switches are the way to go now, not smart bulbs??

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
So smart light switches are the way to go now, not smart bulbs??
It depends, it can be cheaper to use smart light switches as they allow you to not be tied in to say Philips Hue but can use ordinary LED light bulbs. My lounge has 8 dimmable (but dumb) LED GU10 spotlights, no fucking way am I going to buy 8 smart versions when I only needed to spend £40 to be able to turn them on/off/dim remotely, with automation or via Alexa. Also, you can also convert your sockets into smart sockets using the same technology or different if so desired.

As my sockets are all 50mm deep I simply bought zwave controllers for the sockets I want to automate and place them in the spare space behind the socket, I simply then leave the sockets "always on" and the controller actually turns the power on or off.

One scene I have in my house is if my smoke detectors detect smoke then all lights are instantly turned on.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
It depends, it can be cheaper to use smart light switches as they allow you to not be tied in to say Philips Hue but can use ordinary LED light bulbs. My lounge has 8 dimmable (but dumb) LED GU10 spotlights, no fucking way am I going to buy 8 smart versions when I only needed to spend £40 to be able to turn them on/off/dim remotely, with automation or via Alexa. Also, you can also convert your sockets into smart sockets using the same technology or different if so desired.

As my sockets are all 50mm deep I simply bought zwave controllers for the sockets I want to automate and place them in the spare space behind the socket, I simply then leave the sockets "always on" and the controller actually turns the power on or off.

One scene I have in my house is if my smoke detectors detect smoke then all lights are instantly turned on.

You should do this if the smoke detectors are activated:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhVvv0aUNkA

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom