Anyone recently taken out an Orange contract?

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Presumably desperately trying to avoid a fine :).

leviathane

Part of the furniture
tempted to take this offer up and be a sheep an get the ilookatme.

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
Other people have phoned, and the answer was "what legal team meeting?". I'll try again tomorrow.

Fweddy

FH is my second home
I'm happy with Orange, but I'm still tempted to ring up and cancel just to see if I can.

rynnor

Rockhound
Just cancel in writing - they cannot legally stop you since they have effectively torn up the old contract and are now offering you a new one with worse terms with no benefit (consideration in legalese) to you.

They will say all sorts of nonsense on the phone unless you record the call or at least tell them you are recording the call :p

Just send it recorded delivery - thats always regarded as an extremely serious approach and should cut straight through the nonsense.

Good Luck

Edit: On the letter put at the top that you have CC'd OFCOM

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
Writing a letter to them now. Copy in the spoilers, how's it look?

Compliance Team
Orange plc
Astral House
Sendhouse Road
Lingfield Way
Darlington
County Durham
DL1 4YG

Dear Sir or Madam,

Account Number: xx

I are writing to you to formally inform you that I do not agree to the changes in the terms and conditions of my mobile phone contract which I currently have with yourselves. I have tried to communicate this via your Customer Service helpline; however they informed me that I could not do this despite this being my right under:

• Section 4.3 of the current Terms and Conditions
• Article 20, Section 4 of the Universal Service Directive
• A body of existing case law relating to the voiding of contract where terms are materially and adversely changed, and are not agreed by both parties

As a consequence of these changes I wish to immediately have a Port Authorisation Code issued to me, and exit my contact with yourselves without any further financial obligation.

Yours sincerely,

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I'd change the you-bits to the company name, less aggressive that way.

Kinda like; "I'm writing to you to formally inform that I do not agree to the changes in the terms and conditions of my mobile phone contract which I currently have with Orange."

If it's you based, it becomes personal and might end up in the Q filing cabinet.

leviathane

Part of the furniture
i got told the adress to send to was

orange customer services
PO Box 10
Patchway
Bristol
BS32 4BQ

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
Made those changes, also added a sentance on never intending to be an Orange customer again, based on my and other customers experiences.

That's the address the retentions people gave me via text, it's there legal team. If it needs to go elsewhere, they can put it in the internal post!

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
Here you go, letter as sent if anyone wants to use it as a template.

Compliance Team
Orange plc
Astral House
Sendhouse Road, Lingfield Way
Darlington, County Durham
DL1 4YG

Dear Sir or Madam,

Account Number: xx

I am writing to you to formally inform Orange that I do not agree to the recently communicated changes in the Terms and Conditions of my mobile phone contract which I currently have with Orange. I have tried to convey this via Orange’s Customer Service helpline; however the Customer Services Representative informed me that I could not do this despite my explaining that this was my right under:

• Section 4.3 of the current agreed Terms and Conditions
• Article 20, Section 4 of the Universal Service Directive
• The Communications Act 2003
• A body of existing case law relating to the voiding of a contract where terms are materially and adversely changed, and the new terms are not agreed by both parties
• A public statement by a spokesperson for Orange, namely that in an article in “Mobile News” on the 29th July

As a consequence of these material and adverse changes I wish to immediately have a Port Authorisation Code issued to me, and to exit my contact with Orange without any further financial obligation. I am also sending a copy of this letter to OFCOM.

Considering the attitude of Orange Customer Service Representatives regarding this matter, and the experiences I have been informed of regarding other Orange Customers in this matter, I intend never to be an Orange Customer again.

Yours sincerely,

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
"Considering the attitude of Orange Customer Service Representatives regarding this matter"

Nicely done, now it's not on your head, but they'll take it out on the individuals in the service department if any :D

leviathane

Part of the furniture
just gave the orange csr a ring, did so in a polite manner. The chap was understanding said i was able to do so and that was that. PAC code being sent job done.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Playing Devil's Advocate here, why aren't Orange insisting on the return of their handsets?

GReaper

Part of the furniture
Playing Devil's Advocate here, why aren't Orange insisting on the return of their handsets?

They aren't part of the contract (I'm sure someone else can find the specific regulations for it).

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
It's explicitly mentioned in the contract that handsets are not part of the contract. The contract you have with the company you bought the handset/contract through may say otherwise; however Orange have stated that they'll pay the commision in full, so they are waiving that.

Chilly

Balls of steel
orange could lose some serious fucking money over this. might be worth shorting them before their next financial results day

nath

Fledgling Freddie
As for for your stuff being on the SD - have you done anything to accomplish that or does android just work that way now? I've read that for some sort of bullshit copy protection reasons you can only install Android apps to the built in memory.

Answer me Chilly, this I command of you!

leviathane

Part of the furniture

this would be why Tom;

14.1 your Device is not a part of your Contract
Your Device and Accessories are acquired by you outside the terms of your Contract.

leviathane

Part of the furniture
what is needed if you want to keep your number when going to a new network. Quote this to your new provider.

leviathane

Part of the furniture
so glad was able to get outta my contract had another year left on it, and my handset is complete shite :)

Bahumat

FH is my second home
I'd love to get out my contract, but the only other phone I could think of getting is the iPhone and you only get 500 texts on their contracts. No way do I want a £70 contract for unlimited texts :(

leviathane

Part of the furniture
ye spoke the the chap at o2 today about getting an ip00n, asked about the tariffs and if possible to shave some minutes of in favour of more texts. Said o2 can't touch the tariffs as that's what apple supply them with or something like that.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
ye spoke the the chap at o2 today about getting an ip00n, asked about the tariffs and if possible to shave some minutes of in favour of more texts. Said o2 can't touch the tariffs as that's what apple supply them with or something like that.
Heh, that sounds like a giant bag of bollocks if you ask me. Go for the Hero on t-mobile, unlimited texts and net for about 36.50.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom