Anyone recently taken out an Orange contract?

nath

Fledgling Freddie
No no, G2 - the G1 is the predecessor with the flipout keyboard and no Sense UI interface.

leviathane

Part of the furniture
sounds like a good fone, and has good contracts with t-mobile, only problem is it's chin.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Listen to this, can it really affect your credit rating?
Orange Price changes ? - Page 85 - MoneySavingExpert.com Forums

fruitloop82 said:
Hi guys,

I have been reading this thread intently now and I just wanted to share what happened to me and see if anyone has any ideas.

I'm 9 months into an 18th month contract. I phoned retentions today and got a very abusive CSR. He told me that people are using the call charges as a loophole and that these people are scammers!

He told me that I could have a £20 goodwill gesture put on my account or give me some free minutes.

I told him I'd like to cancel and he told me I was a 'sheep' and had just rpoven that I was like everyone else after a loophole and i should be ashamed of myself.

I was quite stunned by his attitude and told him i was pressing ahead with the cancellation. He told me that the moment I came off the phone my contract would be cancelled and then he hung up on me.

I came off the phone and yes my SIM was immediate invalid. I didn't get chance to ask for my PAC code so i rang back, however as it asks for your mobile phone number on the main menu, my number was not recognised and nor can I sign in to my account online for the same reason.

Has anyone else had this? I'm worried they're going to charge me some sort of cancellation fee. He also said that my credit rating would be affected.

I'm happy to be out of my contract but feel it's not the last i hear from the, my bill is due by direct debit next week.

Anyone got any ideas if I need to do anything or how to contact them without the main menu when u need to enter a phone number?

Thanks Rachael

Pfy

Fledgling Freddie
MY contract automatically expired yesterday anyway. I think I'll just stay with Orange tbh.

My missus complained (she only pays £15 a month for 100 mins and unlimited texts) about the way she was treated when she called to ask if she could quit and they gave her 200 mins for £10, unlimited texts and a direct line/email to the manager that called her back so she never has to deal with unhelpful CSR staff again. I thought that was pretty alright truth be told.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
MY contract automatically expired yesterday anyway. I think I'll just stay with Orange tbh.

My missus complained (she only pays £15 a month for 100 mins and unlimited texts) about the way she was treated when she called to ask if she could quit and they gave her 200 mins for £10, unlimited texts and a direct line/email to the manager that called her back so she never has to deal with unhelpful CSR staff again. I thought that was pretty alright truth be told.

Yeah I dont think i will do anything regarding this as I really struggle to find a contract which suits me with the other providers. I've seen some nice phones, but without a suitable contract it's pointless.

Pfy

Fledgling Freddie
Yeah I dont think i will do anything regarding this as I really struggle to find a contract which suits me with the other providers. I've seen some nice phones, but without a suitable contract it's pointless.

Then call them, tell them you're tempted to leave and barter for a better deal?

I'd say they're desperate to appease customers and will try to retain as many as possible.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Assuming that's true, that's shockingly bad form from the CSR. I can appreciate they're getting exasperated but there's not really any excuse for that.

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH

BTW look at the o2 simplicity tariffs (or other SIM only tariffs), really good value, but it's SIM only so you need to supply your own phone, but TBH that normally works out cheaper in the long run anyway!

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
I'm with O2 and quite active on their forums so let me tell you something about the iPhone contracts before you jump in.

O2 have *NO* leeway in negotiating iPhone tariffs.
Apple have set the handset price, the tariffs and the contract terms. If you lock yourself into a 2 year contract, you will need to buy out the rest of your contract if you want to upgrade to the new iPhone when it comes out (eg. iPhone > iPhone 3GS).

UK consumer law states that if you have a problem with your purchase then you return it to where you bought it for replacement/repair. Not so with the iPhone. If you have a problem, O2 will just point you towards Apple.

The data plans for the iPhone are slightly different to the run of the mill O2 data connections as certain features aren't counted in the total transfer (eg. visual voicemail). Unlimited data is subject to a FUP and is pegged at around about 230MB per month. Streaming is a no-go and O2 forbid you from tethering your phone to a PC as well.

I don't have an iPhone (never will either) but I've read enough threads on the O2 forum to know that you don't own your phone. Apple have the option to block or kill features with each update, and their policy of allowing/disallowing apps on the Apps store has drawn opprobium in recent weeks (Google Maps anyone?).

No I'm not anti-iPhone.... much. :)

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
I worked for an ISP and we used to spin the "your credit rating will be affected" dog shit.

IT COULD affect you if the company takes you to court for the payment and you get a CCJ, but automatically: no affect on anything.

GReaper

Part of the furniture
I'm with O2 and quite active on their forums so let me tell you something about the iPhone contracts before you jump in.

I think O2 are going to have the common sense to not change the terms and conditions on existing contract holders - especially iPhone users.

It seems a bit idiotic to change the T&C's for existing customers unless there's a major problem. Customers who like to upgrade handset constantly will eventually move onto the updated contract eventually, whilst those on SIM only or PAYG aren't so costly to deal with.

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
Latest news is that if you phone up you'll be told that the "proposed" changes have been cancelled, although no link for that from Orange. I guess they'll just introduce them via the back door with new contracts and upgrades.

Suffice to say I'll be leaving when my contract is up in November.

Edit: Found a link to the story.

Nate

FH is my second home
Would this have an effect on someone who's not going on their monthly minutes?

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
As they have already changed the T&C's in writing surely they would have to re-change them back to as it was before in writing. I really wouldn't take what some card reading call centre mong says as fact.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
They hadn't, they were actually informing people of proposed changes and then simply decided against following through with them.

The thing they may yet get in trouble about is that they denied cancellations to a number of customers based on very dodgy grounds.

Chilly

Balls of steel
I've never twittered in my life and I'm insulted at the suggestion! I was thinking of putting some RSS feeds on the home screens, bbc news and a few others. Still, that's just raw text and shouldn't eat much data at all.

As for for your stuff being on the SD - have you done anything to accomplish that or does android just work that way now? I've read that for some sort of bullshit copy protection reasons you can only install Android apps to the built in memory.

Just the way it works. I when I inspected the card there were loads of directories. However, it might be that they are cache directories and not actually the install target. cba to poke about and look. also: I WISH google maps would perma-cache everything to the SD card :( I'd have an offline map of half of london at multiple resolutions by now. Maybe a local proxy cache....

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Just the way it works. I when I inspected the card there were loads of directories. However, it might be that they are cache directories and not actually the install target. cba to poke about and look. also: I WISH google maps would perma-cache everything to the SD card :( I'd have an offline map of half of london at multiple resolutions by now. Maybe a local proxy cache....

Ah, fair enough. I expect it's installing the main executable to the phone and any extra files it needs on the SD.

As to the maps thing, you could always get Copilot live for 25 quid, I'll be considering that when I get my Hero.

Tilda

Apparently (MSE) Orange have backed down re the price increase and so are no longer allowing people to cancel.

leviathane

Part of the furniture
they're allowing ppl that they have already said could/had sent the pac to.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Apparently (MSE) Orange have backed down re the price increase and so are no longer allowing people to cancel.

Keep up, Tilda :)

Latest news is that if you phone up you'll be told that the "proposed" changes have been cancelled, although no link for that from Orange. I guess they'll just introduce them via the back door with new contracts and upgrades.

Suffice to say I'll be leaving when my contract is up in November.

Edit: Found a link to the story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom