Anyone elses car insurance jump?

Gray

FH is my second home
I swear i make one of these annually or at least read a few of them.

But with my current insurance whom i have been with for a couple of years (IAM-Adelaide) my insurance premiums have been steadily decreasing over time, to a point that my Ford Focus (Group 17) went down to £550 last year.

This year however my first quote came through from them asking for £650, a £100 jump. This is with things like roadside assistance and legal cover, but not protected on my No Claims. I was at least expecting a minor decrease in cost to maybe £500 or so, but it doesn't seem like it's happening.

So pissed. I've done a few quick searches and each time it comes up around £620-30 so it's still an increase.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
My bird's insurance on a 1.4 Golf is 700 quid. Un-b-lieveable. 32 with 6 points.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
There's no loyalty in car insurance, they'll raise the premium as soon as they can. So fuck them off and go with someone else, and make sure they understand why you've gone.

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
Just renewed mine, went from paying £144/month to £97/month, and that's now including breakdown cover.

Gray

FH is my second home
Did some quick checks, DirectLine quoting £700 and doing a broadsweep on confused.com ranged from £600-thousands just seems like i'll be taking a massive hit this year regardless.

Don't think its sustainable keeping this car i have now though, its Group 17, the tax is £220 per year as well. I was really hoping to downsize with a cheap and tacky car to bring everything nicely in line, but seems most of the cars are out of my price range or are too old. Want to aim for Group 6 cars i think.

Cemeterygates

Can't get enough of FH
Just out of curiousity, Gray, what do you mean by "too old" ?? Is it an image thing or is it financial/reliable kinda thing?

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
This made me do some investigating.

In theory I could afford to be fully comped on a Z4. There's one for sale near Manc for £5k.

If I were reckless...

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
400 squids this year 400 squids last year 2007 1.8 mondeo ... hire car, legal and protected no claims. with direct line.

Face it fast drivin dudes like i did my last car was 170bhp astra sport ... it doesnt pay any more

Access Denied

It was like that when I got here...
Ours went from £684 (Including installment extra) to £432. Including business insurance. Not bad.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
This thread is on car insurance, not bicycle insurance.
??

Switch every year for the Quidco. Aviva will give you 65 quid cashback. Would have gone with them again but you don't get cashback on renewals. Went with Hastings instead. Sub £300 after cashback.

/edit: and I told them it was specifically because of the cashback that I wasn't renewing. She said that's quite common these days.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Was just amazed that you can get insurance for a car at that price ;)

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Did some quick checks, DirectLine quoting £700 and doing a broadsweep on confused.com ranged from £600-thousands just seems like i'll be taking a massive hit this year regardless.

Don't think its sustainable keeping this car i have now though, its Group 17, the tax is £220 per year as well. I was really hoping to downsize with a cheap and tacky car to bring everything nicely in line, but seems most of the cars are out of my price range or are too old. Want to aim for Group 6 cars i think.

Forget confused.com, try the Aviva website. Go direct to the insurer, confused and the others are middle men who take a cut of your increased premium.

For a young guy like yourself in a group 17 car £700 isn't that bad. I drive a group 20 car and have been driving since 1989, and I still pay £1,100 for the pleasure.

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
i dont remember the numbers but insurance was going up in 2 stages, last year, and this year, over all to bring it in line with cloud cookoo land or something

Gray

FH is my second home
I forgot about Quidco, i use that for just about everything else when i can, so i'm sure i can get something. The thing about this IAM is they supposedly beat any price, so this would likely also include cashbacks maybe.

Ideally i want a car from the last 7-10 years, this one i have is 1998 and also 2.0, so each year i'm getting slammed with tax increases. Last year was about £210, this year £220, and no doubt with the new strict MOT conditions brought in January that's likely to lessen my wallet too.

Seems everyone elses looks to be reducing. Siiigh.

JingleBells

FH is my second home
Forget confused.com, try the Aviva website. Go direct to the insurer, confused and the others are middle men who take a cut of your increased premium.

For a young guy like yourself in a group 17 car £700 isn't that bad. I drive a group 20 car and have been driving since 1989, and I still pay £1,100 for the pleasure.
You've a Manchester postcode right? I was told that Manchester as a whole is a bad postcode to have when getting car insurance - I have 5 years NCB and pay about £1400 for mine which is group 17

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Stayed about the same last renewal, around £1100 a year through Tesco. That's for a BMW 330d, 25k miles a year business use, no points or accidents but a drink driving ban around 3 years ago. When this drops off it will be around £500.

Could probably get this down by changing to a depressing little hatchback, like a Focus or a Golf or something, however I don't particularly want to do 25k a year in a shopping car designed for girls, so I'll pay the extra for the Beemer.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
You've a Manchester postcode right? I was told that Manchester as a whole is a bad postcode to have when getting car insurance - I have 5 years NCB and pay about £1400 for mine which is group 17

Yes, M41, pretty bad, presumably because of the slimey cunts who claim for whiplash and the like. Insurance companies don't seem to care that you have a clean licence and advanced driving qualifications. They also say things like "it's expensive because of the value of your car". Yes it was an expensive car when new but it's worth peanuts now, and if the repairs exceed a couple of grand you'll write it off. Or "it's the size of your engine" - fuck right off, say that to the scrotes driving 1.6l Fiestas who end up upsidedown in a field.

Basic third-party-only insurance cover should be provided by the state, funded by general taxation (supported by VED and fuel duty), with fully-comprehensive cover a privately-funded option. It amazes me that successive governments don't seem to be interested in this.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Yeah we are in a bad post code because of the scummy new build housing estate up the road. The village itself has hardly any crime whatsoever, let alone car theft etc

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
yea the postcode thing is utter wank, but it works in their favour, so suprise suprise, they keep it

when i was at uni in cardiff i actually couldnt get insurance in one area, due to young + male + postcode

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
£144 per month.

Fuck me! I read it as a year. Who the fuck pays £1700 on car insurance without going "fuck it" and buying a motorbike instead?!

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
Fuck me! I read it as a year. Who the fuck pays £1700 on car insurance without going "fuck it" and buying a motorbike instead?!
Someone who may as well pay that while they still live at home. Better to start getting my driving experience/NCB up while I have somewhat of a disposable income.

It was only around £1250 in full, but my only option was to pay monthly through the insurers, which cost a fucking bomb extra.

Access Denied

It was like that when I got here...
That's a massive makrup for paying monthly! There are insurers who don't charge for that.

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
Somewhere around 25-30% interest as well as a charge for paying monthly by direct debit. Unfortunately Admiral were the only insurer I could go with, all the rest were asking for over £2k, and that's paying in full. Christ knows how much it would've been should I have paid monthly through them.

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
Brace yourself, 1.2 2001 Corsa. Was 21 at the time and had 2 years 'driving experience' since I'd held my license since 2008.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom