Anyone else here REALLY hate their jobs?

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
About a year ago, I made the silly mistake of taking a job in a call centre doing Telesales. I must have been blinded by the commission or something. But anyway for the first 6 months it was good, I was making good commission and wasn't dreading work the next day. I also clearly made an impression, as I was moved to the next department up after 2 months.

Anyway that was where the problems started. Due to an admin error, I was deleted off the main HR system as someone told them I hadn't turned up for work one day (absolute balls but nm, HR live in a parallel dimension where normal rules do not apply). This was quickly sorted but meant that I wasn't paid any commission in my wages for about 4 months. They paid it to me duriung the next month, but as it counted as an emergency payment, they took it off me the next month. When they paid it to me again, I was taxed twice, leaving me about £100 out of pocket each time. Then about 5 months ago, came the worst bit. I had £750 taken off me cos of a system error. Only problem was, I couldn't prove it at the time. so it's money I still havent seen. Not long after that I cracked 2 ribs so was off for a month and a half, and now I've come back i'm in a new department (the original one I started in) and things aren;t much better.

We are completely at the mercy of the calls we get in, which would be fine if we weren't paid on conversion (i.e number of deals we get per call), the commission structure is still set up using the stick theory rather than the carrot and the system is still riddled with errors, all of which impact on my money. I'm at the end of me tether and ready to walk out, but I've got nowhere to go.

The only light at the end of the tunnel is that my boss has got me a days work shadowing with Desktop Support, so I can see what they do and see if it's the kinda job I'd like. I do want to get into IT, so I reckon it willb e good. It's just getting to Friday......

Sorry if that was a bit rambly, but talking to idiots all day has turned my head to mush. Anyone else doing a job they despise?

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Jobs are shite in general unless you are really lukcy to find something you actually enjoy doing but I think thats quite rare....well for me it is.

6 months into a new job I get bored to death but you can't really move jobs every 6 months! It doesn't do your career any good.

My plan is to win the lottery. So far all its been paying me is £10 per quarter...

:(

I would also like to get more into IT and I think I could be moving that way now that my job is pretty much a "Systems Accountant" although I am not dealing with a great many of the systems though.

Hope it works out for you Bhodi and hope you manage to recover some of the "lost" money!!

mank!

Part of the furniture
i don't hate this job yet but i've hated every job i've ever had, except for the voluntary stuff i did...which paid nowt.

in fact i quite like my job, just not some parts of it. i'm first line support so i just take the calls, log them and escalate them accordingly and occasionally do the odd bit of problem solving, menial tasks etc. this would be okay if i wasn't dealing with a large proportion of idiots as we provide remote support to schools/colleges, the staff of many are utterly inept and seem incapable of understanding that all problems can't be solved yesterday and that other people also have problems that need solving.

i'd like to do the next level up but a bit more hands on, so not so much of the remote network stuffand without the schools...

it beats tesco though.

Damini

Part of the furniture
Don't know if you guys remember, but I used to work in "Active Sales" in a big supermarket. It involved such ritual degradation as wearing a plastic hat in the colours of Italy, and accosting people down the foreign food aisle with a page of Italian translations for sentences like "******** is the best for pasta!", to being outside tethered to a giant inflatable mobile phone, to (oh god) reading a rap over the tannoy about reduced price meat.

The only thing that made this bearable in any way, shape or form was that their were bonuses for hitting sales targets. Or at least there were, until I hit every target, and then they got pissed off with having to pay me, so they started making it ridiculous - Sell £1000 pounds worth of patio furniture in January and you can have £50! Once they had me actively trying to sell compost.

Compost.

It was by far the most degrading experience of my life, and my soul withered a little every day.

Aada

Part of the furniture
Tesco/Asda are pretty good jobs and very easy to make your way up to manager level where you start earning £25k-30k a year just for a manager not a store manager. Store Managers are on silly money.

Got a few friends who are Managers at Tesco and they all drive last years BMW so the wage can't be that bad.

I think commission jobs are the worst you can get and tbh i think Tesco rates better then a telesales commission job.

Pack it in Bodhi and do something else ive never ever stayed in a job i hate.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
I am at work. Posting in this thread might be unethical, either way ;)

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Don't know if you guys remember, but I used to work in "Active Sales" in a big supermarket. It involved such ritual degradation as wearing a plastic hat in the colours of Italy, and accosting people down the foreign food aisle with a page of Italian translations for sentences like "******** is the best for pasta!", to being outside tethered to a giant inflatable mobile phone, to (oh god) reading a rap over the tannoy about reduced price meat.

The only thing that made this bearable in any way, shape or form was that their were bonuses for hitting sales targets. Or at least there were, until I hit every target, and then they got pissed off with having to pay me, so they started making it ridiculous - Sell £1000 pounds worth of patio furniture in January and you can have £50! Once they had me actively trying to sell compost.

Compost.

It was by far the most degrading experience of my life, and my soul withered a little every day.

That's where I'm at right now. Except I've to tell people who've been using the supermarket for ages that they can't have as much compost as those who are shopping there for the first time. Fun Fun Fun!!!

ScoobyDoo{KEA}

Fledgling Freddie
i dont hate my job(joiner) but i hate with a passion anyone who works in a call centre. :) they make me want to stamp on someones throat whenever i have to ring a service and i either get an automated fucking responce or some goon in a call centre rant over lol :)

GRN

Fledgling Freddie
I love my job. I get don't earn much but I get to do what I like.

I did however almost become a software engineer *pthuey*, which I, after one and a half years of heavy drinking -- or, as some call it, studying -- decided it wasn't for me. So, I switched careers. I am now a bartender and waiter. Yeah, you heard me right; a waiter.

I was, though, in the telemarketing business. That lasted for about six months. I wouldn't do it again for all the money in the world. I just got fed up with straight forward lying to people in lines of "hey, order 24 months of this great, marvellous, exiting, godsend new magazine -- it'll most definately better your life in every way, make you win the lottery and buy you a place in heaven! But that's not all -- you also get *dramatic pause* a free watch! YES, A REAL MADE-IN-KOREA-WATCH!"

Atleast now I know what I'm selling and people know what they're getting. Plus, I get to socialize with people, which is a much nicer property in life than to sit in a cubicle for ten hours.

Chilly

Balls of steel
Ask me in a few months, only just started my new job so think its all amazing so far.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
I can't believe some people actually WANT to work in IT. Third to retail and call centres, I can't think of anything worse.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Unemployed and hating it.

But when i do work in my field, game dev, i love it. No way around it.

It's a pain in the a**, people are sometimes dafter then punk(hihi), hours suck, pay usually sucks a bit too(you live), but all in all, you have to love it.

Chilly

Balls of steel
I can't believe some people actually WANT to work in IT. Third to retail and call centres, I can't think of anything worse.

IT is a large field. If all you do is slavishly write code all day then yes, its shite. If you get into an architectural role or work on more interesting systems or have a wide variety of tasks then it can be very cool.

Also it pays exceptionally well.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Like you Bohdi I work in a call centre now. It does pay quite well, but Im fucking sick of it.

I know you lot hate credit cards, but my job makes me think that everyone in this country is a non-english speaking card defaulter :)

And now Im going back to work till 9pm. Hey ho ...

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Your job doesn't make you think that. You've always thought that. Now go shoot some legal immigrants. :D

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
in my job

i like -
being groped by women
finding money
oogling women
listening to music
flirting with women
watching fights break out

i dislike -
the hours

suppose i like it more than i thought :)

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
I can't believe some people actually WANT to work in IT.
sometimes I have this thought as well tbh, and I work in IT

an architectural role or work on more interesting systems or have a wide variety of tasks
all of the above. I love it atm. it's the ideal combination of a little bit of tech, and a little bit of moving people around and getting them to do things. today I passed an exam on the OS I use. tomorrow I will be telling someone that his people are going to be doing things for me and I really couldn't care less if he disagrees, and this weekend I will be in Belgium for a disaster recovery test and trying to make a barkeep in a bar near the hotel I will be staying drop dead from exertion.

being groped by women
this, well, will prolly/hopefully never happen. but then the few girls who do work where I do tend to have donkey-braying voices/never speak and can do the quasimodo-shuffle with a passion.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
I was doing home-visit IT support for a company - I didn't hate it, I nothing'ed it. I quit there and for the past few months have been struggling to get enough business to support myself doing the same stuff only freelance. To be honest, I'm the main guy from Office Space - I'd just love to win the lottery and do NOTHING. Chances are that's not going to happen so I expect I'll try doing freelance for a few more months, figure out I can't earn enough and end up back in a standard 9-6 IT desk job. For the next 40 years.

Joy.

TdC

I'd just love to win the lottery and do NOTHING.

you and me both, bruddah. it will take me about 40 years to get bored of it, and by then I'll be too old to care :)

Wij

I am a FH squatter
IT is a large field. If all you do is slavishly write code all day then yes, its shite. If you get into an architectural role or work on more interesting systems or have a wide variety of tasks then it can be very cool.

Also it pays exceptionally well.

Depends where you work. And Architecture is boring.

ZiggY

One of Freddy's beloved
Work on the railway love it! moneys good and i dont need a gym downside is winter :(

TdC

our architects are either completely introverted gray men with brilliant thoughts they can't get across, utterly unconnected to reality, or swarthy renaissance men who have traveled the world before turning the focus of their mind towards securing more blue jeans combined with Boss jackets.

mank!

Part of the furniture
I was doing home-visit IT support for a company - I didn't hate it, I nothing'ed it. I quit there and for the past few months have been struggling to get enough business to support myself doing the same stuff only freelance. To be honest, I'm the main guy from Office Space

i, however, am milton

Clown

Part of the furniture
When I win the lottery, I'm going to make sure nath and me don't do anything!

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
I'm doing an electrician course and I fucking hate the job before I have even done it or become qualified.

Zs and Ze and kiss my fucking balls :eek:

Embattle

FH is my second home
My Job is OK, then again after years I still haven't been arsed to make my move for something with a future or progress in any way. I've suffered some health issues for a while but if I really wanted to I doubt that would of stopped me but instead I do this job at the moment where I work with some nice people but also some real dense people who seem to go out of there way to annoy me by natural actions. I guess it is partly why I only do 20 hours a week which gives me enough to pay my low bills and have some money to spend which in many ways has caused me not to worry about much in terms of work.

WPKenny

Resident Freddy
The only job I can honestly say I hated was working in a supermarket stacking shelves when I was 16.

There have been jobs I've not been all that enthusiastic about.

When I worked in London it was stressful as hell but there was certainly never a dull day and towards the end the money was good.

Now I'm running the internal helpdesk with another guy for about 300 staff. All using Macs. I'd never even used a Mac before starting and just recently the company paid for me to spend a week in the Hilton in Croydon (they sell hotel rooms so got a fecking good rate) so I could become an Apple Certified Desktop Technician and an Apple Certified Portable Technician.

The money's not great (half as much as I was getting in london) but it's local (25 min drive as opposed to a 2.5hr commute by train) and the stress levels are practically zero. With my new qualifications I should be getting a reasonable salary increase at my next pay review in a few months. And if things ever did turn sour I could work for one of the increasing number of Apple service centres since gaining my qualifications.

It won't turn me into a millionaire but, in a way, it's all I ever wanted... a job messing about with computers all day.

IT's not such a bad career path since there's so many facets to it. Choose a bit of it you would like to get involved in and find out more about it.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
I loved my old job. I did it nearly 15 years. I know now that they will in some ways be the best days of my life.

Now I earn a bit more money, have much less stress, but nothing like the fun and pride I took in the old job.

00dave

Artist formerly known as Ignus
I'm starting to miss the airforce as my current job sucks, between 12 and 15 hours alone all day not knowing when I'm going to finish, driving a big ass truck full of god knows what. Currently looking at paramedic, police officer or prison officer to continue that juicy pension I started with the airforce.

Lot's of talk about the lottery but does anybody have any get rich quick plans they're still clinging onto? I know I have. Blind optimism ftw.

Paradroid

Fledgling Freddie
in my job

i like -
being groped by women
finding money
oogling women
listening to music
flirting with women
watching fights break out

i dislike -
the hours

suppose i like it more than i thought :)

Policeman?

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom