Any SM Darkmasters around?

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
There was a thread on VN asking why peeps don't really play Dark SMs at all.

I thought it would be interesting to see who actually has a Dark SM on Pryd, or when Summoning gets nerfed, who intends to respec their Isso farm bots to Darkness?

Boomeruk

Fledgling Freddie
Im gonna respec boom to dark on patch day...

.... then respec back the day after :p

Fink

One of Freddy's beloved
Hmm - I can remember meeting one dark SM ever and a few summoners. Where they ever popular?

TaF

Fledgling Freddie
Shyone in Klan Nidstang is Darkness spec, don't think he will ever respec :p .

Astraad

Fledgling Freddie
Digie from LF has just respecced to Dark and from what I can tell he's loving it

Mavericky

Fledgling Freddie
I dont farm with my one much, (never in TG) but am gonna try out dark after the patch (current spec is 40sum 36dark so will take 2 singles to swap to full supp anyway)

Cami

Fledgling Freddie
My own sm is summ spec, but was Dark in the bg levels. When the nerf hits us ill go dark, no question about it. At the moment anyway, might consider supp if we are lacking those :p

Anyway, best dark sm around must be Svenfleet. At least hes the only one ive seen taking out 3 alb stealthers with moc and intercepting pet :p

TaF

Fledgling Freddie
Cami said:
Anyway, best dark sm around must be Svenfleet. At least hes the only one ive seen taking out 3 alb stealthers with moc and intercepting pet :p
Sorry i forgot the name, but i saw couple weeks ago a norse darkness SM happily killing 2 lurikeens attacking him WITHOUT moc :x . Was kind of funny.

Gatts

Fledgling Freddie
Roo mate stop asking people to come to your spec matey ;-).

Nah just kidding I dunno what i will do change to dark spec or go full sup, only time will tell i guess.

Salvion

One of Freddy's beloved
My first char in daoc was a Dark SM (Merlin hehe) but dident get a hang of it back then, but now i started a new one and its pretty cool i have to say, dont know of a good spec yet but i figure i take it to L35 and see how it pans out, but i do like pet classes somehow :)

Quemine

Regular Freddie
I specced Cui the only way it was possible when I created him. 47 dark and rest in supp. Any other spec was totally gimping the character, supp only had a few mezz spells and debuffs and summ didn't really have anything at all..

Always liked the dark spec, and I enjoy hunting infils with him. Standing on the MG looking all innocent with MoC ready if 2 should pop.. ^_^

Dracus

Fledgling Freddie
Im gonna respec my L40 SM if we get a free respec at some point :) supp is sooo 1.56 and summ is boring :clap:

/Dracus

Cerbie

One of Freddy's beloved
I have Alake, level 24, atm and was planning to go for summoning.

The last time I trained I have put my points into dark, so I think I will keep it that way and go for dark now :D

Allthough I like the summoning very much but when I gets nerfed, there is not much left about the char anymore, so thats why I decided to go for dark.

Will be dark Cerbie then once in a while :D

Salvion

One of Freddy's beloved
Well seriously whats a good spec Roo?

is 47 dark good for last lifedrain? do one need last debuffs and aoe mez?
what left over in?
26 supp for L26 pbaoe? or summ for pve and gheto rezz?

as this is alt no:999999 im not sure ill play it that much but as of now it seems fun with lifedrain so advice on how to specc and maybe even how to get there would be nice (eg what to have at lvl 35 to be able to lvl ok)
who know maybe a new Dark Sm lurking its way into midgard :)

Belorfyn

Fledgling Freddie
Salvion said:
Well seriously whats a good spec Roo?

is 47 dark good for last lifedrain? do one need last debuffs and aoe mez?
what left over in?
26 supp for L26 pbaoe? or summ for pve and gheto rezz?

as this is alt no:999999 im not sure ill play it that much but as of now it seems fun with lifedrain so advice on how to specc and maybe even how to get there would be nice (eg what to have at lvl 35 to be able to lvl ok)
who know maybe a new Dark Sm lurking its way into midgard :)

When I was Darkness, I was first 48 Darkness, 24 summoning, 48 dark since it wouldn't get anything important in summoning. I think this was very nice spec, res is very useful when no other res is available (healer dies etc.) and you get focus damage shield to kill patrols with (probably doesn't work very well after next patch).
Bad thing about is the level 42 (if I remember right) ae mez. Duration isn't that much different, 28 seconds instead of 33 seconds at 50 but because of low level, it gets resisted more.
That's the reason I respecced later to 50 Darkness and 20 Suppression.
20 suppression just to get some kinda pbae there, it's not useful but more useful than anything from summoning probably. You also get some kinda str/con and attack speed debuff.
Having been both for long time, 50 Darkness and 20 suppression is the spec I'd go for now (and probably will after I've tried out supp for while:))

Edit: Oh, and when people mention "ghetto res", remember it's also only resurrect spell you can quickcast in difficult situations and only thing better in those situations is healer Perfect Recovery realm ability.

Salvion

One of Freddy's beloved
Tnx Belorfyn

and that Quickcast rezz ive never thougt about hehe nice one
but howcome 50 dark 20 supp as ur upcomming spec? im just curiose how came up with that.

Belorfyn

Fledgling Freddie
Salvion said:
Tnx Belorfyn

and that Quickcast rezz ive never thougt about hehe nice one
but howcome 50 dark 20 supp as ur upcomming spec? im just curiose how came up with that.

I've had that spec too, that's what I meant and having been playing both those specs I mentioned, I like the last one better, even if it doesn't have res. That's because of the level 50 ae mez that gets resisted less than level 42 one.
At the moment I'm trying out Suppression spec for while, after I was Summoning spec for PvE for some months. When I wanna go back to Darkness spec, I probably go for the 50 Darkness one.

One possibility might be 47 Darkness and 26 suppression too. I think I had that sometime also for a short while but didn't like it that much. If not going for 50 darkness, res is loads more useful in my opinion than level 26 pbae.

Salvion

One of Freddy's beloved
Good points Belorfyn tnx, i have something to think about now.

Quemine

Regular Freddie
How often do you use the ae mezz in rvr? I hardly use mine since it doesn't last very long even if you have the lvl 50 spell. Now the pbae you get from 26 supp is good enough to annoy stealthers on the milegate, then dd them back to their bindstone.. :)

Belorfyn

Fledgling Freddie
Quemine said:
How often do you use the ae mezz in rvr? I hardly use mine since it doesn't last very long even if you have the lvl 50 spell. Now the pbae you get from 26 supp is good enough to annoy stealthers on the milegate, then dd them back to their bindstone.. :)

99% of the time. We used to duo with my Darkness SM and Moriad's Mend/Aug healer so he didn't have AE mez at all.
He used his single mez sometimes of course but very often AE is needed.
It still lasts around 20 seconds on targets without determination and that's quite lot difference to situation where you don't have them mezzed at all since even with one tank you're nuking, you can't get him nuked to death before he reaches you without stun (often even without them using IP) so if there's 3 enemies running loose and to you, you can't get anything done because you have to run all the time.

Of course, as with all these different spec options, it finally comes down to how you play and what kind of groups you go in (or solo).

Rustan

Fledgling Freddie
When the dreaded sum nerf patch come I will respec to dark .. and if i dont like it I´ll probably never play sm again :/ .. sadly

Mastade

Fledgling Freddie
Make Dark sm's if you want to solo.. and wear a sign so grps dont think you are supp.. Dark sm's is utter shit in grps

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
Mastade said:
Make Dark sm's if you want to solo.. and wear a sign so grps dont think you are supp.. Dark sm's is utter shit in grps

Hi.

Pretty obvious you know fuck all about Dark SMs, but welcome to the discussion ;)

Kephan

Loyal Freddie
Dunno if it's really a "Darkness" spec, but I've always thought the 35dark/41supp spec was quite viable, especially if you're grouping with other SMs. Gives a decent 273 dmg delve pbaoe and a 30% spirit debuff which works wonders. :) Not to mention both str/con and dex/qui debuffs and even cure mezz spells, which I find quite handy.
I agree to some point that darkness specced Spiritmasters doesn't offer much to pure tank groups, but calling them "utter shit in groups" might be a tad harsh. :)

Svenfleet

Fledgling Freddie
I'm still dark spec'ed and find it very viable, especially when sham buffed. When MOC is up you're the hardest target to take down and can sometimes take 1-2 with you when the tank train is trying to beat you down though depends on how good their healers are. Think my record when MOC'ing is taking 5.5k worth of damage and still living to tell the tale :)

Been thinking about suppression but to be honest I love dark too much. May even roll another SM as sup spec.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Go on, I'll bite. Convince me what's good about Dark SMs. What stuff do you use ?

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
This is the thread on VN that made me make this thread. Mostly of interest to Dark SMs only. However, if you stick with the thread, there's something interesting to read on Page 3 about changes in group line-ups post ToA...

Why don't more people play Dark SMs?

Salvion

One of Freddy's beloved
Btw Roo that hunt u planned with some Darkies how did that go?

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
The only day over Christmas hols I was around to be able to do it I couldn't get the peeps together for it.

Am up for giving it another try some weekend for a giggle. Just need to work out when I'm around and not got other stuff on the go :)

Dark SM group would be a hoot :)

EDIT: Oh and after ToA with +25% cast speed items, increased damage cap items and so forth I think it is something to definately try. Thats an awful lot of ranged damage output.

Svenfleet

Fledgling Freddie
I'm up for that though not around much at the moment, got lots of stuff happening in RL. I'm usually on at the weekends though not much during the week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom