Advice Antivirus for linux (free)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I'm thinking of running zendto on apache as an alternative self-administered dropbox solution but as I'm a total linux n00b I want to know what antivirus to run.

Yep, I know you don't often need to run av software on linux (I'm using Ubuntu) - but this may become more than just a personal repository and if people are gonna be putting their shit on my server I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing.

Any ideas? Nice, free, decent, quick AV solution for a beardier OS :)

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
clamAV springs to mind but there are a couple more. tbh I think you're overkilling a bit: putting a file in to the store involves it going through the filter on a local machine, and taking it off again does the same. why would you scan the store as well?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Cheers teedles.

tbh I think you're overkilling a bit: putting a file in to the store involves it going through the filter on a local machine, and taking it off again does the same. why would you scan the store as well?

I don't necessarily trust whoever's putting files onto it to have AV running on their box tbfh.

Plus, a bit of AV scanning isn't going to create a massive overhead.

TdC

I don't necessarily trust whoever's putting files onto it to have AV running on their box tbfh.

I know people who don't use AV exist, but I have a really hard time getting my head round the concept 0o

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I know people who don't use AV exist, but I have a really hard time getting my head round the concept 0o

Was talking to a guy who runs a telephony system at a major power company. He should be fairly tec knowledgeable, you'd think.

Lost his mail account - doesn't understand how or why. He "runs a firewall" so doesn't understand why he needs AV.

Yep. Just...

TdC

sometimes people who run big systems are useless in their own personal infra though ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom