Another TV thread...

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
Sorry guys, I know TV's have been done to death, but not quite from this point of view I think.

I want to buy a 26" HDTV to attach to my laptop, via a normal VGA cable.

When I say 'I' I actually mean 'my department' as this will be used as part of a display at edcational fairs etc to run interactive activities centered around radiography.

We need something cheap, that has a VGA input and that is sold by a reputable firm, not some dodgy place off t'internet, as the hospital purchasing department are unlikely to go for that!

What should I be looking for.

Will I have any problems getting my lappy to output at the 1366x768 resolution that the TV uses? It has a 7600GO card in it, but updating drivers is a fag compared to my desktop.

Has anyone any experience of this kind of application.

Am I better off just finding a cheap 24" monitor? Ebuyer have one for £200 at the moment, but not sure the hospital will go for using them as a supplier, almost certain I won't find that sort of deal locally.

Don't want to spend much over £350.

Thanks in advance.

RB

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
Hi Yaka,

Thanks for that but I've run into a problem. Went into Dixons today just to try out my lappy with a telly and it just didn't work. It seems that Vista and XP Media can output a 1366x768 signal that the tellies will recognise but XP pro can't! My laptop can do the resolution, but the signal is not recognisable. I assumed that if Media Centre can do it then there would be a patch for XP Pro, but I can't find one.

On the other hand I have found an Acer 24" monitor that PC World sell for £250 that will do the job even better. (Ebuyer sell it for £200 at the moment, but it ain't my money).

I think I'll just go with that.

Thanks again

RB

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hi Rubber Bullets

I don't know if this is a driver issue, but you may want to try using the ][/B]LaptopVideo2Go drivers. They basically modify nVidia's latest reference desktop drivers so they'll work on laptops, that way you don't have to rely on your manufacturer's drivers (which are typically updated very slowly).

Of course the usual disclaimers apply, don't sue me if they break your laptop etc., but I know a lot of people use these drivers without any trouble.

Good luck!

Kind regards

Jonty

P.S. This is definitely possible because someone I know used to have the same setup you're after: 26" Samsung LCD TV, 1366x768 over VGA, all using Windows XP. The only difference is he was using a SFF PC, not a laptop, but that shouldn't really matter.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Tv's are funny over VGA Rubber, depending on the model it will not support certain resolutions, and even then only at fussy refresh rates. But as the others have said, it is nothing to do with XP.

I would get a dedicated moniter if I were you. Lots of very nice widescreen displays between 24" and 30".

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
Ah well I'm confused then. Maybe it was the telly I tried, maybe my laptop drivers, maybe the frequency I was trying.

Either way I think I'll go with the Acer monitor instead, only 2" smaller picture and so much more resolution to play with anyway.

Thanks for the input guys

RB

soze

I am a FH squatter
Check the VGA lead i had this problem if it only has 14 out of the 15 pins some tvs will not be piket up under XP try again using a 15 to 15 pin VGA lead. That solved my problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom