Another SQL Question

Panda On Smack

Can't get enough of FH
Hola

I have a table in my database containg about 30,000 people, some of these people are members and ive been told i need to give each of them a membership number starting at 10001 or something similar.

Can anybody think of a easy way in SQL to select these members and insert a membership number on the fly to their row? Adding 1 to the number each time i suppose

Ta

KevinUK

Can't get enough of FH
Can you give us some sample data? Just of 1 row. It will be easy enough to do. :)

anattic

Fledgling Freddie
I haven't used SQL much recently, so apologies if this is gibberish. Dunno which DB you're using, so I guessed at MySQL:

Code:
# Assuming you've a table called 'foo', and you want to add a column 'memberid':
# Note: MySQL can only support 1 auto-incrementing column, which must be defined as a key.

set insert_id=10001;   # assuming that's where you want the numbering to start
alter table foo add memberid INT UNSIGNED NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT, ADD PRIMARY KEY(memberid);

select * from foo;   # should now have a memberid attached

The alter command is explained in detail here: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/alter-table.html

Hope it helps.

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
That will give non-members IDs too, if that's what you want.

anattic

Fledgling Freddie
True -- I missed the "some of these people..." bit. Note to self -- RTFQ.

Moo

Fledgling Freddie
just add a where match which matches only non-members for ur table.

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
Moo said:
just add a where match which matches only non-members for ur table.
You wouldn't be able to do that for what anattic said above.

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
SheepCow said:
You wouldn't be able to do that for what anattic said above.
You could do this with a very short PHP script very easily, you could:

1. Add a memberid column (not auto inc, probably want it indexed)
  2. Select all the members
  3. Start with a counter at 10001 and update the memberid column on all of the members

When a new member is added you'd need to select the MAX memberid, increment, and save with that id.

A "nicer" way would be anattic's way, but if you don't want to give non-members the ID number you're left with fewer options.

Panda On Smack

Can't get enough of FH
Cheers guys, didnt see the replies

The ID is for members only so i would need to select them first, i thought of creating an asp file which just selects members and then loops through them updating their row with an ID number which is 1 greater than the last. Dunno how much resources this would consume though and how long it would take.

its MS SQL 2000

Ta

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
Updating 30,000 records ... 30 seconds? 5 seconds? Maybe 10 minutes if you're running your SQL server on an Intel 8080

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
Panda On Smack said:
The ID is for members only so i would need to select them first, i thought of creating an asp file which just selects members and then loops through them updating their row with an ID number which is 1 greater than the last. Dunno how much resources this would consume though and how long it would take.

I'm not sure of time, but the estimates SheepCow makes seem reasonable. I did a lot of work with a grotesquely large SQL Server database last year and the majority of what we did (which sounds like a similar scale to your process) was done in less than 10 seconds.

Only other thing: I don't see that you need to use ASP for anything? T-SQL's cursor syntax should be able to take care of looping through your selected members and adding a membership number. I can do an example if you'd like, but won't post one here since 1) I'm pretty sure you've been working for SQL Server for a while so there's every chance you already know what to do and 2) I always get cursors wrong and need to tweak my code a dozen times before it will work ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom