ANOTHER problem ...

throdgrain

FH is my second home
For some reason now some of my Steam games will not start. I get that please report to Microsoft thing. The ones that wont play are all Valve games, CSS, DoDS, L4D2. MW2 and CoH are unaffected.

I think maybe I should try reinstalling DX9 or something, but the auto thing from Microsoft wont let me as it says I already have it.

Anyone else having this problem? I've had Steam since day 1 (literally!) and have never had so much trouble as since when MW2 and L4D2 came out :(

Kryten

Old Cow.
Nay sure on that one. Won't hurt to reinstall DX9 as a sort of diagnostic.
Failing that, tried reinstalling steam?

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
You can keep your data files and simply reinstall steam. Use the repair install option.

Did you get rid of AVG yet Throd?

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Don't forget to save your config files etc for things like CSS else you'll have to setup all your keys etc all over again!

throdgrain

FH is my second home
You can keep your data files and simply reinstall steam. Use the repair install option.

Did you get rid of AVG yet Throd?

Got rid of it, then reinstalled it, and all was fine, then deleted it in an (unsucessfull) attempt to fix this error. :/

Just noticed Steam has decided I live in Benelux for some reason ...

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
Throdders, you could try this:
go to whereever your steam lives (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam) or something, and delete a file called ClientRegistry.blob

this will force steam to autoupdate, and you'll have to log in. after that, things should be fine I hope :)

TdC

ugh sorry I'm just out of bed, can you tell? :)

throdgrain

FH is my second home
LOL :) In fairness telling someone who uses Steam and plays CSS every day to delete thier client blob is like teaching your granny to suck eggs :)

Thanks anyway though!

You'll no doubt be interested to know that in a mad spell of annoyance I deleted Steam, and all 85 gig of content.

I reinstalled a fresh Steam.

I downloaded CSS - only, CSS.

It still doesnt work :confused:

nath

Fledgling Freddie
So.. you didn't think it might be a good idea to keep that 85gb in a different folder rather than delete it? :)

TdC

I think maybe I should try reinstalling DX9 or something, but the auto thing from Microsoft wont let me as it says I already have it.

may be able to help here though: download the full directx from the ms webby, it will be something like 100 meg. anyway, it's the SDK you're after, which is a self extracting zip file.
get it, extract it to some place, and click DXSETUP, and you're off for a cuppa while it installs.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
So.. you didn't think it might be a good idea to keep that 85gb in a different folder rather than delete it? :)

that would be like telling someone how to suck eggs.... oh wait.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Funnily enough I'd just fixed that when this new thing turned up :(

I know its not Steam now, its something on my PC ...

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Well, I've just reinstalled the mighty CoH, and with it a new DX9, and CSS still says it has encountered an error and must be shut down.

This is after a complete reinstall of Steam (with new game downloaded, which is why I did it btw). The only things that have changed on my pc in the last week or so are -

Installed Firefox, then deleted it

Installed AVG9.0 over the top of 8.5, then deleted the whole thing

Installed AVG 9.0 fresh, which worked fine btw, deleted it to see if there was any difference

Installed L4D2 (via Steam, but not on atm)

Installed MW2 (via Steam, downloading again now :) )

Im confused. I think a hard drive and OS upgrade is on the way.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I'm having some problems with a few of the THQ pack games on Steam. CoH is crashing at the same point - it's just as the troops go down the ramp to destroy an ss missile type thingamy. Some others just don't run - could this be a by-product of using Vista 64 for these games?

I'll be running a directx update and such, of course, as well as a blob delete and checking the games for updates....

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Thanks for the info Ch3t - just done a catalyst update, ready to try again.

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Well - did various updates and it saw still crashing at the same point in the mission, but the lad changed a tactic and destroyed a tank and the game continued through the map successfully... odd, but fixed.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Play multiplayer for a year or so then I'll give you a game :)

throdgrain

FH is my second home
By the way.

I fixed the problem, with what I can only describe as a rage-format :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom