Film Another Hollywood Rape

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
IMHO I think the authors of such material should impose some contractual control on the story when selling their IP to the studios. But instead they usually just take the dosh and don't care. The problem with movie studios is that they are run by people who care only about the bottom line. It isn't a creative process, its a money making process. They know exactly what the rednecks and chavs like in a story and regardless of the movie concept they will make sure it is changed to meet that criteria.

Nice theory, but unless your name is J.K.Rowling, as the writer you have very little power in the relationship. If you try to exercise editorial control they'll just tell you to fuck off and move on to the next book or script, there's not exactly a shortage.

Personally I prefer authors who are honest enough to accept this and let the film be its own thing, rather than the likes of Alan Moore who took the money* then sniped from the sidelines (*I know Alan Moore disputes some of the whys and wherefores about how his stuff ended up sold to Hollywood, but meh, he still got paid).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom