PC Master Race Another dead pc thread.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Is my mobo faulty?

My pc has been running perfectly fine until about 3 weeks ago it would power up but not boot at all but a "reboot would get it going.

Now it just powers up but goes nowhere.

I have noticed a red light on the mobo next to pcie label and graphics card slot. Removed graphics card but light remains.

Any ideas?

Thanks.:(

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
When this happened to me in the past (admittedly I've not had a dead PC for a long time now), I stripped the PC right back to it's basic bootable components to rule things out like drives / memory / other expansion cards. Have you tried that to see if you can at least get into the BIOS?

dysfunction

FH is my second home
I've only removed the graphics card.
I could try removing the drives and memory.

If it still hangs like that is it's probably the mobo right?

old.user4556

If you strip it right back to the basic components, then I'd put my money on it being the Mobo, or CPU, or perhaps even a faulty PSU.

If you can get it to boot to a BIOS level, I'd check CPU temps just as a precaution.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Remove the drives first, see if it gets past the bios (it should boot up then complain about a missing boot disk)
Try your RAM one at a time, ie remove it all and insert one at a time, attempt to boot on each one, 1 stick might be bad
If its your graphics card you should be able to just remove it, and plug your monitor into the mobo, see if it gets into windows

If it doesn't at any of those stages then it is likely going to be the cpu or mobo. I have "fixed" a boot problem before by simply taking the penny battery out and reinserting, it should reset all your bios options...though that was years ago on a flaky AMD board. Either way, it shouldn't hurt to try it.

Edit, before all this have a good look for dust, hoover it out where possible. Especially the caked on crap on fan blades and such.

Last edited:

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Thanks. So I have removed everything that i can and it doesn't make any difference. :(

old.user4556

One last thing to try would be to make sure the motherboard is fitted to the case properly (unlikely given it was working for weeks) and nothing is shorting out.

Sounds like the mobo is a goner somehow.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Thanks! I've looked at all the connection etc and nothing appears to be loose or anything like that.

Yes I think so. Thanks for the help.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
No beeps at all. Just powers up the fans etc. Graphics card gets power etc but goes no further in the boot up.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Managed to get it started after pressing the reset button like a hundred times!!

Temps etc seem fine. I won't be switiching it off now!!

old.user4556

Sure the reset / power switch isn't jammed somehow?...

dysfunction

FH is my second home
They don't look like they are. But wouldn't that cause it to reboot or something like that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom