Annoying Fuck Twat. Urgent Advice Needed.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
I am installing a wireless network in this guys house. He is with NTL. All connected no problem but the signal was very low. So we got him a range extender, which connects to his wireless usb dongle no problem but it will not connect to the internet, says signal is excellent yet won't get on the net.

I have done all the resetting etc, usually a reset of the NTL modem cures these things, but today it hasn't.

So to round up - It connected before the range extender but the signal was low/none existent.

We got a range extender and now the wireless dongle will not connect to the net.

I took my laptop up and that was connected no problem to the range extender.

Guys pc is XP home without SP2(this im thinking could be the problem).

Any ideas luvs?

Edit : all the equipment is D-Link(Wireless router, usb wireless dongle and range extender)

babs

Can't get enough of FH
Does this extender need to be set up as a bridge rather than as an access point itself or anything daft like that?

Can you ping the router despite not being able to get net access.

Can you access websites via IP rather than name (possible DNS problem?)

Can you access the router's setup page with the extender plugged in?

Trem

Ah yes. I can't access the extenders set up page when its plugged in the network card.

The other stuff I didn't try or thought about and besides I would fuck it up anyways.

babs

Can't get enough of FH
is the pc you're setting up static IP or dhcp from router?

If router is DHCP server, have you set extender to be either dhcp client or static IP on the routers range?

Trem

The extender was working fine on the laptop though luv. Its a problem on the pc end where the wireless dongle is....I think. I'm replying to this from the guys house and its working with the extender not plugged in but signal is uber low.

I am thinking I need to assign an ip different to the one on the extender.

The extender ip is 192.168.0.30 so what should I assign to the wireless dongle.....I think this may be what to do, it did give a warning saying there was an IP conflict on the network or something.

babs

Can't get enough of FH
if the extender is on 192.168.0.30 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, then everything else on that network has to be 192.168.0.x. And they have to be unique numbers. I'd imagine your router is on 192.168.0.1 if that is the right subnet, so the pc should have 192.168.0.(any number up to 255(as long as it's not 1 or 30)).

Do you know the router's IP?

Trem

The router is what they are erm.......192.168.0.1 off the top of my head.

I left the extender and connected directly to the router and told him it was done, then I left and ran away really quickly. So if he rings up and moans I will get you on irc first babs my love.

Cheers so far you gigantic twatbag.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom