Android Handset Advice

Killswitch

FH is my second home
I'm looking to buy a handset (no contract) and move to a SIM-only tariff. I've worked out that I can save some money this way. My budget for a handset is around £450 and I'm looking at one of these options;

Nexus S (new)
Desire Z (new)
Galaxy S2 (ebay)
HTC Sensation (ebay)

Can anyone provide any quick reviews on these handsets (or links to good in-depth reviews). It would be much appreciated :)

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
As a side note, I did the same; bought an iPhone 4 outright for £499 and put a PAYG sim in it. Much cheaper total cost ownership than a contract over the course of 18 months with a handset that I know will still sell for a fair chunk of it's RRP after 18 months.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
An iPhone isn't an Android device.

The Galaxy S2 is the best phone of the 4 closely followed by the HTC Sensation.
The Other 2 are further behind and I doubt there is much of a difference between them

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
He didn't say it was, he's just saying he did something similar. Let it pass ffs.

Galaxy S2 if you can get it Killswitch.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
An iPhone isn't an Android device.

Dys, have a word with yourself.

I was illustrating that buying a handset (Android or not) outright can work better for you if you do your sums right.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I've just done the same - except I bought the phone (Galaxy S2 fyi Killswitch) from Expansys.

I read/watched loads of reviews beforehand and the S2 really is the best atm - only sticking points seem to be the fact that screen is "only" WVGA (800x480) rather than the qHD (960x540) you will get on the Sensation and battery life seems to be less than average for some but fantastic for others. In this head-to-head between the two, the Galaxy comes out on top. The Galaxy even won the "screen" round thanks to the AMOLED tech (lack of backlights and much better visibility in daylight).

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Well he did start his post with "As a side note..." which implies he knew it was slightly off-topic. :p

dysfunction

FH is my second home
I know it was only a joke but the response is like I threaten to kill his first born or something

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
That looks excellent. Come to France please, GiffGaff. Not going to happen because Telefónica Europe doesn't operate in France, but an equivalent would be nice.

Killswitch

FH is my second home
Thanks for all the great replies...I must admit I do have an irrational need for an iPhone (and an iPad2...and a MacBook Pro...and one of those big 27" iMac desktops...) but I reckon Android is where it's at right now in terms of the OS and in terms of hardware development.

I might still end up with an iPhone, but I think I'd feel dirty!

My maths is pretty simple;

I have 6 months left on an £35pcm 18-month contract with Vodafone, but my Galaxy S has been stolen and I'm using my old Nokia E51. Current subsidized contracts for top-end smartphones seem to be about £40pcm. My choices are;

1) Early upgrade

Phone costs £250 (ish) and I get a new 24 month contract (existing 6 months + 18 new ones) at £40 per month. Total cost over the next 2 years is £1210

2) Wait until January and get a new contract with subsidized handset

Phone is free and I get a new 18 month contract at £40 per month. Total cost over the next 2 years is £930

3) Buy a handset outright now and switch to SIM-only in January

Phone is around £450 and I use it for the rest of my contract and then switch to SIM-only at around £10pcm from T-Mobile. Total cost over the next 2 years is £840

So with option 3 I save money, get a new phone now AND hopefully the phone will last me a few years, so I keep saving.

Sounds like it's S2 vs Sensation then...more reading methinks!

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
There may be another option that you've overlooked. How are vodaphone for 1 month rolling contracts?

I had got my original iPhone on contract, at the term end switched to a 1 month rolling (I'm on O2) for £20 a month (600 mins / 1200 texts / unlimited internet). Now I'll be paying for my new handsets (which keeps the urge to constantly change them low) but I still have a reasonable contract.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Like you, I've read all the reviews, but have come to the conclusion that the phone I want just isn't around at the mo. For me, its got to have at least the pixel resolution of the Sensation, the dual-core speed of the S2, and the true-colour representation of the iphone. I'm happy to wait for a suitable Android later in the year.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Like you, I've read all the reviews, but have come to the conclusion that the phone I want just isn't around at the mo. For me, its got to have at least the pixel resolution of the Sensation, the dual-core speed of the S2, and the true-colour representation of the iphone. I'm happy to wait for a suitable Android later in the year.

You do know the Sensation is dual core too, right?

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Yeah, and at one point I was very tempted to get it TBH

There are pluses & minuses to both phones (Sensation & S2). Have decided to get neither. For £500, I want a phone that ticks all my boxes.

Killswitch

FH is my second home
Am waiting for the new WP7 devices as i am really liking WP7 it's a great OS.

Heresy! Burn!

Just kidding...I've never been a big fan of Microsofts efforts at mobile platforms, but I have heard lots of good things about WP7. That said, I was really happy with my Galaxy S and I think I'm going to stick with Android for now.

The only reason I'd get something else is that I already have an iPod Touch and all my music in iTunes (bloated pile of wank that it is) and getting a nice 32GB iPhone 4 would save me carrying two devices around.

I'm still looking for an open-source media library that's anywhere near as good as iTunes and that would let me get all my songs, audiobooks and podcasts in one place and sync them to an Android device.

I can see where Lamp is coming from...you can get a phone that makes calls and sends texts for £20. To spend £500 on a handset you really want it to do your taxes, pick your kids up from school and pleasure your wife while you watch Battlestar Galactica.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
I'd rather the phone watched Battlestar Galactica tbfh.

Aada

Part of the furniture
Heresy! Burn!

Just kidding...I've never been a big fan of Microsofts efforts at mobile platforms, but I have heard lots of good things about WP7. That said, I was really happy with my Galaxy S and I think I'm going to stick with Android for now.

The only reason I'd get something else is that I already have an iPod Touch and all my music in iTunes (bloated pile of wank that it is) and getting a nice 32GB iPhone 4 would save me carrying two devices around.

I'm still looking for an open-source media library that's anywhere near as good as iTunes and that would let me get all my songs, audiobooks and podcasts in one place and sync them to an Android device.

I can see where Lamp is coming from...you can get a phone that makes calls and sends texts for £20. To spend £500 on a handset you really want it to do your taxes, pick your kids up from school and pleasure your wife while you watch Battlestar Galactica.

I agree 100% tbh i like Zune i have the Zune pass and i quite like it so WP7 feels great but iTunes is just so damn good and the amount of stuff on there is staggering sure it's bloated to hell but meh it does it all.

I do miss having iTunes maybe when the iPhone5 comes out ill change my tune and get one :) had a 3GS was great wish i never got rid of it sometimes.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Got my S2 today and I have to say I love it. The first charge didn't last very long but that's probably a result of too much dicking around with the camera and Angry Birds and that pretty, pretty screen.

Not over the moon with the wifi range (to a 802.11n router), though. It loses signal totally about 10m away. :\

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom