amount of time left for edit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Driwen

Fledgling Freddie
Can it be upped abit as it is now on 5 minutes, which is a little short imo.

Will

/bin/su
I assume you mean the time before you get an edited by X at blah announcement. I think it should be left as it is. From a mods point of view, any longer, and we'd have people posting things, then changing them just before the timer, so there would be no proof of the edit.

Five minutes is plenty of time to fix typos, which is all that timer is for.

Clown

Part of the furniture
Who cares if that /edited by X at blah/ message comes up?

WOOHOO

Driwen

Fledgling Freddie
Will said:
I assume you mean the time before you get an edited by X at blah announcement. I think it should be left as it is. From a mods point of view, any longer, and we'd have people posting things, then changing them just before the timer, so there would be no proof of the edit.

Five minutes is plenty of time to fix typos, which is all that timer is for.

I usually remember something I wanted to post in my post when browsing further. Its usually one line or a clarification of my point and allthough usually hits me within 5 mins this time didnt and had to make a 2nd post for just one line:p.
also dont think 10 mins would mean people would suddenly post things and edit them. It didnt happen much on BW where there was no such timer, so doubt it is a real issue besides that I doubt 10 mins would be a hassle.

And clown it isnt about the message, it is about not being able to edit my post after 5 mins.

Will

/bin/su
So you mean you can't edit a post at all after five minutes?

Driwen

Fledgling Freddie
Will said:
So you mean you can't edit a post at all after five minutes?

nope you cant, the edit message is after 1 minute afaik and after 5 mins you cant edit at all.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Can we change it to two weeks so everytime I look like an idiot in a post I can go back and edit it to try and change the world's opinion of me?

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Swift^ said:
Can we change it to two weeks so everytime I look like an idiot in a post I can go back and edit it to try and change the world's opinion of me?

Wouldn't that take up alot of bandwidth, though? :p

Clown

Part of the furniture
Hah crud, oh well. I guess that can get annoying.
+1 and all that.

Morchaoron

Fledgling Freddie
Where did the edit button go???

i can only see the 'reply' button on posts not the 'edit' button...

strange Oo

Will

/bin/su
The edit button is only available for five minutes after you have posted.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Merged Threads

As far as I'm aware the following did apply in relation to editing posts:
  1. You have 5 minutes to edit a post before the "Edited by" marker becomes tagged onto that post automatically.
  2. You have a maximum of 1 day from the time of posting to edit a post before it becomes permanant
Hope this helps

Regards
Rob / MYstIC G

Driwen

Fledgling Freddie
MYstIC G said:
As far as I'm aware the following did apply in relation to editing posts:
  1. You have 5 minutes to edit a post before the "Edited by" marker becomes tagged onto that post automatically.
  2. You have a maximum of 1 day from the time of posting to edit a post before it becomes permanant
Hope this helps

Regards
Rob / MYstIC G

either it has changed back since last night but clown tested in this post (see 6:00 pm post, edit at 6:03 pm, new post at 6:07 pm). Will test it with this post.

edit: test

Driwen

Fledgling Freddie
so after 3 mins the edit message turns up and after 6 mins (could be 5 wasnt on time to check it) you cant edit your post anymore. This might not be as how it is supposed to work, but it does work that way(or atleast for me).

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Christ,

Not a lot gets past you lot.

I changed it as I can see it potentially being abused.

5 mins should be ample enough to get your message out as you see fit, you dont hold a verbal conversation and go back in time and edit the original, you start a new one, (ie new message).

If you can provide REAL VALID reasons then of course it can be reviewed...

Driwen

Fledgling Freddie
Deebs said:
5 mins should be ample enough to get your message out as you see fit, you dont hold a verbal conversation and go back in time and edit the original, you start a new one, (ie new message).

If you can provide REAL VALID reasons then of course it can be reviewed...

thing is forums dont move so fast usually that me editing my post (as I realized I have to word my post a little differently or realized how to clarify something) will cause any real problems (I dont edit a post after 10 mins, unless no one has posted and I dislike making two posts directly after eachother).
It is in my post style that when I finished the post I realize something I wanted to add, off course I could do something else for 3 mins and then press post. However wasnt needed until wednesday, so I find it inconvenient. Prefer to have it at 10 mins, which probably shouldnt cause any problems and probably means I dont have to change (much) in my style of posting.

Vodkafairy

Fledgling Freddie
Well my other post got locked for fuck all reason so I'll try again. Imagine me putting up an auction for 30 items in the Dark Age of Camelot / trading forums, everytime an item is sold I'd like to edit the post instead of make a reply to the original post to prevent confusion.

But I can't do that anymore now, I have to make post after post after post to keep it updated and it's extremely annoying, confusing and unnecessary.

At least make it usable in the trading forums, please.

vf

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Vodkafairy said:
Well my other post got locked for fuck all reason so I'll try again. Imagine me putting up an auction for 30 items in the Dark Age of Camelot / trading forums, everytime an item is sold I'd like to edit the post instead of make a reply to the original post to prevent confusion.

But I can't do that anymore now, I have to make post after post after post to keep it updated and it's extremely annoying, confusing and unnecessary.

At least make it usable in the trading forums, please.

vf
It got locked as you were redirected to this thread by another moderator, that's plenty reason enough.

Personally I think Deebs should leave it at 5 minutes, then maybe people will think more about what they post before they post it.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
MYstIC G said:
It got locked as you were redirected to this thread by another moderator, that's plenty reason enough.

Personally I think Deebs should leave it at 5 minutes, then maybe people will think more about what they post before they post it.

Aha, someone who knows what I am trying to achieve.

As for trading stuff, that is a different matter and will need investigating. I will check for any hacks which may help.

gunner440

Hey Daddy Altman
Deebs said:
Aha, someone who knows what I am trying to achieve.

but still no one is perfect

sometimes you realise things a bit later?

and if you get a post directly afterwards due to no edit button u get ppl screaming SPAM SPAM etc :/

Vodkafairy

Fledgling Freddie
MYstIC G said:

er, no, some guy just made a useless reply to my thread and closed it after I said "k"

start thinking yourself then? daoc trading forums work very different compared to other boards

deebs- ta for trying to sort that out

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
This is totally outside the realms of where I should draw the line as a mod, but tbh I now don't care. Frankly Fuck DAoC. Bored of hearing about it everywhere all the time. We're so far away from the "back before the beginning" vibe now it's stupid. Bring back 2001.

Deebs: feel free to kneecap my mod status for this if it shuts them all up.

Vodkafairy

Fledgling Freddie
MYstIC G said:
This is totally outside the realms of where I should draw the line as a mod, but tbh I now don't care. Frankly Fuck DAoC. Bored of hearing about it everywhere all the time. We're so far away from the "back before the beginning" vibe now it's stupid. Bring back 2001.

Deebs: feel free to kneecap my mod status for this if it shuts them all up.

restoring the edit button back in the trading forums makes it easier for everyone there :/

vf

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Why must DAoCers think it is acceptable to have one rule for them, and one rule for everyone else?

Deal with it.

xane

Fledgling Freddie
Vodkafairy said:
restoring the edit button back in the trading forums makes it easier for everyone there :/

Just create a text list of your latest items for sale, upload it to your personal website, and post a link instead, you can update the text file whenever you like.

Vodkafairy

Fledgling Freddie
Swift^ said:
Why must DAoCers think it is acceptable to have one rule for them, and one rule for everyone else?

Deal with it.

i don't know why you make that comparison at all, the reason why the edit button was removed on the entire forum does not count for the trading section at all and it makes it much harder and confusing to hold auctions

i don't know where, what, or why you post here but if the removal of the edit button has a significant decrease in usability of a board you post in then surely you would want it to be changed back?

xane- yes i could do that, but the trading forums are there for a reason aren't they?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom