Advice AMD or Intel?

Access Denied

It was like that when I got here...
So I'm going to be building a new PC over the next couple of months (Hopefully) and I'm leaning towards an i-pickanumber CPU but I've aso heard that AMD are better for graphics processing.

Either way I'm getting a Sabretooth board but as I will be using it to game as well as my every day computer I want to know which you guys think is best.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Intel for CPU and ATI for graphics...though I think Nvidia do some stonking cards atm too.

AMD CPUs are the suck.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Yup, AMD were a whole generation ahead of Nvidia back in the HD 5xxx days (iirc) but I think it's a fairly level playing field now. I would still go with AMD/ATI for graphics and an Intel CPU.

old.Osy

No longer scrounging, still a bastard.
Depends on how of a tight budget you are. AMD is still a decent alternative for budget conscious gamers, when it comes to CPUs.

Aada

Part of the furniture
i5 3570k /GTX 670 was a great choice for me, GTX 670 was my first Nvidia card and the i5 my first intel CPU in about 10 years, would I go back to AMD/ATI ? No chance in hell.

Access Denied

Well I'm building a bloody good PC so budget for the CPU is going to be a max of around £250 I think. Just wanted to know which manufacturer is going to be best.

Kryten

Old Cow.
I'd say if you're building for budget then an AMD will not disappoint. However if you're getting a discrete graphics card anyway then the benefits are generally lost and you're far better off bang for buck with a decent Core iWhatever processor. You can get awesome performance from a £170 i5 3570k but for 250 just for processor you might as well i7 it up baby. New generation processors and boards are being released in the next couple of weeks though; may be worth waiting either to see the new stuff in action or to see the price drops on the ivybridge stuff.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
i always go intel only, tho for the nas i ended up getting an amd itx board as they are the only the only ones with 6 more sata ports have amd cpus built in for £100

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Mmmm.. Depends how obsessed you are over performance. In real terms (non-rendering/production) the AMD 8 Core and the Intel I5 won't be a massive difference, if you kick the RAM and GPU up there's not much of an issue. But if you're looking @Performance, then.. The AMD 8 core (FX-8120) is not going to match to the Intel Core i5-3570K.. Your call though..

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

Am actually having this discussion for a box I want to build. If there's only £50 between both, I'd say hit an i5/7 with a decent GPU

EDIT: A £1,000 Intel System (2500k) is £300 more than a system with the better AMD chip.. (Same everything else mostly) - for comparison http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=43&catid=2475

Last edited:

Access Denied

Talking of CPUs. I just nearly cooked the one in my missus PC. Took it apart to clean the dust out, which included taking the fan off the heatsink so I could get to the fins. Put it back together, formatted, reinstalled Windows and in the middle of downloading updates the damn thing turns itself off. I wondered why but turned it back on anyway. Half way through boot it does it again. Looked and I could feel the heat coming off the heatsink for 5" away. Turns out I had forgotten to plug the fan back in. Oops!

Edit: If I could facepalm my own post I would. Proper noob mistake.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Did you clean the thermal paste and put new paste on?

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Reason to get nvidea over amd for gpu - noise levels. Performance of cards is so monstrous these days it really doesn't matter unless you want a super high end rig, but you have to live with the card you buy.

Reasons to get amd over intel for cpu - none. amd straight up getting raped right now.
Power consumption and performance both heavily in intels favour right now.

Access Denied

I've made a decision! I'm going with the i7 3770k Ivybridge and I'm looking at the XFX Core Edition Radeon HD7950 3GB GDDR5. Also, 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 RAM and a 120Gb SSD for boot.

Roll on next months bonus!! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom