Amd 2200

N

nath

Unfortunately a decent PSU will cost about 50 quid alone, if not more.

So either the case is made of cardboard and has a good psu or.. :/

W

Wilier

Originally posted by -sas-mikey
i bow to your superior knowledge sir.
but ive built 2 kt400 pc for different peeps and they both had jumpers for fsb

Most modern boards (just like Embeh says) are jumperless these days, whilst the settings can still be altered, its usually from within the BIOS instead of actually, physically ON the board.

G

Gabrial

OK - this has taken waaaay to long to post but here goes:

Voltage
+3.3V = 28A
+5V = 30A
+12V = 15A

Still have same problems and have flashed to most recent version. I have also tested using new memory (3 different sticks so far).

T

Testin da Cable

do you have a BIOS setting for temp overload? what's it set at? my 2800Barton is getting pretty hot with this weather tbh.

H

Happy Go Lucky

Originally posted by Gabrial
OK - this has taken waaaay to long to post but here goes:

Voltage
+3.3V = 28A
+5V = 30A
+12V = 15A

Still have same problems and have flashed to most recent version. I have also tested using new memory (3 different sticks so far).

that spec is equivalent to my chieftec 340 watt psu
I doubt it is the psu now. You must have a faulty m/b. But you prolly knew that. I suggest you buy a new 865, nf2-400 or a kt600 m/b :)

G

Gabrial

Yeah thats sort of what I had guessed by now - thanks for the second opinion though happy:)

Ok - seperate question: How easy is it to clean the thermal gunk off a CPU and heatsink before refitting in a new MB?

H

Happy Go Lucky

Use IPA available as part of video-cassette head cleaning kits.

Bought mine from pound stretcher or pound land (can't remember) for £1

D

Dr_Weasel

You may want to have a look at that Ram of yours. I presume from your invoice that you bought the Ebuyer unbranded stuff? I wouldnt go near that stuff with a barge pole anymore.

I have built numerous PCs now, and there was only one that has ever given me any problem. That one had Ebuyer unbranded RAM. It kept Randomly rebooting (sound familiar ???).

I too went through the "is it over heating?", "Take out all unnecessary cards", etc. I even ran MemTest86 through the Ram and it reported it working fine.

For some reason though (sheer desparation), I decided to swap the (Samsung branded) RAM out of my main machine into the new one and it fixed the rebbot issue. The odd thing is, the ebuyer Ram in my other machine also works fine. The RAM just didnt work with the MSI mobo that I had....

The short version of this story is beg, borrow, steal some decent Ram from someone to try. Im still mistified as to why switching the RAM between my machines worked, but 6 months down the line, both are still working fine.

G

Gabrial

I bought a second strip from DABS and tried that in the machine, also tried a strip borrowed of a mate of mine from a third company. None worked:(

E

Embattle

TBH as HGL said, your Mobo sounds like it has some sort of problem since we seem to of covered most of the common problems.

G

Gabrial

Just to update people:

Ordered a new motherboard, its coming today.

Stripped my machine down last night and checked the CPU and heatsink. Now, I didnt assemble the PC my mate did but Im pretty certain it wasnt supposed to look the way it did.

There was thermal grease covering the entire CPU (not just the little square thingy (cant remember the name:)). It was in amongst the little chip thingies on the top of the CPU and everything. Could this be responsible for the problems Ive had?

G

Gabrial

Final post:

I tried the new motherboard, hard disk controller was duff.

Replaced old motherboard as interim solution, processor now running at full speed! The only thing I can think of is that I had to clean off a LOAD of thermal grease not just from the raised heat thingy on the chip but also from the surface of the processor aswell (the top of the CPU was covered in the stuff).

Either way, its working now fine! Thanks for the help guys.

D

Dr_Weasel

Glad you got it sorted in the end.

Or a related side note, a guy in our clan was recently having a randomly rebooting PC. We went through all the kinds of stuff mentioned here already.

Turns out it was a dodgy keyboard (wtf!!!) in the end... Never heard of that one before.

G

Gabrial

I once had a faulty power switch that caused my machine to crash sometimes - wierd the things that can cause problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom