Amd 2200

G

Gabrial

Hi guys,

I've got an AMD 2200 processor with a KT400 ultra motherboard. Now, here is my problem.

The default clock speed is 100 (which is what my PC has been running on for the past few months).

I just realised that I need to set my clock speed to 133 (not the default 100) to make my processor register as a 2200 (currently it registers as a 1500). When I do this however, my machine reboots after around 5 - 10 minutes. I check the temperature in the setup as it boots back up but this seems ok (around 50 degrees).

Finally, not sure if this is important or not, but if I set the speed to 120mhz (I decided to try somewhere inbetween) the hard disk light just stays on and the monitor does not wake up.

Any help much appreciated otherwise im running a 2200 at 1500 until I upgrade!:)

W

Wilier

Is the post saying that its seeing an XP1500, or are you saying that its running at 1.5gig? (which I seem to remember is about what an XP2200 runs at)

What motherboard are you using?

Y

~YuckFou~

Troo.

AMD's do not actually run at the speed you would expect them to. Iirc my 1700 runs at 1200/1300 (well for now at least :) ).

G

Gabrial

Its an XP2200 chip which should register as 1800 (I think). When I set the clock to 133 it shows as a 2200+ on the initial boot screen (where it checks the RAM). When the next screen is displayed (showing IRQ's, floppy disk etc.) it is displayed as an 1800 (which I think is right). The trouble is on this setting the machine sometimes doesnt boot further or will reboot after 5-10 mins of windows.

Taken from the front of my manual, my motherboard is a VIA KT400 Chipset based KT4 Ultra series motherboard (with onboard LAN, Sound and RAID). The code 'MS-6590' is also printed inside the manual if that helps?

T

throdgrain

Yep , no doubt about it. Having said that, my XP2000 used to run at 1660 mhz, and the 2600 I have now runs at 2200, if I remember correctly.

J

Jonty

Just to clarify, as you rightly say, the AthlonXP 2200+ runs at 1.8Ghz on a 266Mhz FSB, both of which your motherboard should adequately support. I'll have a little search afterwards to see if there is a known problem. It could just be the CPU is overheating slightly, which causes most motherboards to reset (sometimes a red LED will light up on the motherboard). However, I'm not too sure, so I'll try and post again later if I can.

Kind Regards

G

Gabrial

Thanks Jonty - appreciate all the help guys. Its got me stumped totally - even more so because Ive built my mates machine (with different parts) and his is now faster than mine!

/edit: Not sure if its worth mentioning but I've flashed the BIOS to the most up to date version (or it was up to date a couple of months ago)

E

Embattle

The most recent one is dated for 18th April and includes:

-Modify CPU temperature detection
-Add "CPU Halt Command Detection" item in BIOS Setup
-Support AMD XP Barton 2600+ (FSB 333) CPU

The first part of this BIOS update is the most interesting when it comes to your situation.

W

WOLFMAN33

oohhh flash the bios why? never touch the bios unless you REALLY have to.

J

Jonty

Sounds like Embattle may be spot on (as usual :p). If the temperature detection system is malfunctioning, then your motherboard could be reseting even wen your CPU temperature is operating within normal parameters. I believe it varies from system to system, but you can spot such failsafe devices as many of them now require you to physically unplug (or switch off at the socket) the power before the system will let you boot up.

Kind Regards

J

Jonty

Originally posted by -sas-mikey
oohhh flash the bios why? never touch the bios unless you REALLY have to.
Where have I read that before? ;) hehe. You are, of course, absolutely correct, but I think it's worth a try in this case, and Gabrial seems to know what's doing, which is half the battle won :)

Kind Regards

G

Gabrial

There was a reason before, honest:)

I was having some nasty problems with my graphics card and couldnt for the life of me get it working. My last ditch attempt was flashing the BIOS and it fixed the problem.

I'll try that tonight then thanks guys - will post tomorrow to let you know how I get on (maybe tonight from my home PC if it works!)

G

Gabrial

Well, it was a nice idea:)

I flashed the bios tonight, everything went nice. Rebooted, now on version 1.4. So far so good. Got to windows, clicked my account to log in and it rebooted.

Changed the clock back to 100mhz and now, well, as you can see, its stable again cause Im typing this!:)

Any other ideas anyone? Im tempted to EMail the motherboard support people but not sure what kind of answer i will get.

W

WOLFMAN33

cpu

On my chaintech kt400 board i have jumpers for 100 133 and 166 speeds im assuming your board is simmilar and youve set it to 133? and if you did did you cleared the cmos before rebooting? Or it might just be a duff cpu m8 amd did have a few dodgy batches.

G

Gabrial

I dont *think* there is a jumper but I can set the speed using pageup/down in the CMOS page (between 100 and 280).

Now, is this important? : If i set the speed to 120 (I was thinking somewhere in between 100 and 133) the monitor does not come on at all and i get nothing in response from the PC (in the end I reset the CMOS using the jumper on the m/board).

E

Embattle

Are all the other options under CPU FSB clock set to auto?

W

WOLFMAN33

cpu

HHHmmmm strange i would have expected fsb jumpers on a kt400 board i thought only the cheapest nastiest boards with old duron chips packaged with them were totaly jumperless.

E

Embattle

Re: cpu

Originally posted by -sas-mikey
Or it might just be a duff cpu m8 amd did have a few dodgy batches.

News to me.

HHHmmmm strange i would have expected fsb jumpers on a kt400 board i thought only the cheapest nastiest boards with old duron chips packaged with them were totaly jumperless.

Erm no, most modern mobos use jumperless configuration for nearly everything.

G

Gabrial

Everything else set to Auto yeah.

Now, after I posted last night I installed and ran a utility that came with the board, called Fuzzy Logic 4 (I think).

It basically shows me the temperature, clock speed, multiplier, voltage etc. in windows. Now, with this package I can click a button marked 'auto' that will keep cranking up the FSB until the machine reboots itself (perfectly normal it assures me). Then, when the machine boots back into windows I can run the program again and click auto again to restore the highest speed it got to.

The highest speed it got to was 106mhz x 13.5.

W

WOLFMAN33

i bow to your superior knowledge sir.
but ive built 2 kt400 pc for different peeps and they both had jumpers for fsb

G

Gabrial

Ive just got a single 512mb, 333mhz strip, not branded.

G

Gabrial

Oh wait, I think I actually have 2 256 mb strips sorry.

G

Gabrial

I made sure on this one and got a 400 watt:)

I'll save some time, here is my invoice contents:

1 x Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 9 80gb 7200rpm UDMA133 Hard Drive - OEM
1 x Panasonic Floppy Disk Drive 1.44MB 3.5 inch internal - OEM
2 x 256mb PC2700 DDR PC333
1 x Ebuyer Xion Case blue acrylic facia front USB and Audio ports 400w PSU
1 x Coolermaster HAC-V81 XDream Heatsink & Fan SKT A Upto Xp2800 Speed Adjustment
1 x AMD ATHLON XP2200+ 266MHz FSB - OEM

The only thing missing off here is the motherboard (they forgot to ship it so I ended up buying a different one

"VIA KT400 Chipset based KT4 Ultra series motherboard (with onboard LAN, Sound and RAID). The code 'MS-6590' is also printed inside the manual if that helps?"

/edit:
The video card is a PNY Ti4600, got that from a seperate supplier aswell:)

G

Gabrial

Thanks for that Happy. Had a read but I gotta say Im a total numbnuts when it comes to electricity.

Can anyone dumb it down a little? My summary of it is that maybe my PSU isnt up to scratch but when you start mentioning watts, volts and amps I lose the plot.

/edit

Maybe bearing this in mind, its worth mentioning that I have 2 case fans I think

H

Happy Go Lucky

Basically what you want is a branded psu. The generic ones you get with cheap cases. May have a high power rating, but they lack the enough power on the important +12v rail, and sometimes +5v

You may want to look at the sticker on your power supply and post the amps on the +3v, +5v, +12v rails here.

Regards.

G

Gabrial

OK - I'll check that when I get back then. Im guessing its not going to be too hard to find. What sort of values should I be hoping to see?

It was a fairly pricy case - £50 I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom