Alcohol = shit

haarewin

Fledgling Freddie
Konah said:
propaganda

in a lecture i had - we had to present information we had found about MDMA as a possible treatment several conditions. someone had to remain impartial and talk about the (human) metabolites of MDMA so a decision could be made on whether it was safe or not to use. that person had a source (which i can't remember off the top of my head) that showed MDMA metabolises repeatedly into crystal meth (aka methamphetamine). they also found a high number of E tablets had crystal meth added to them to 'bulk' them up. of course it was 'street' E that wouldn't have been regulated by a drug company or whatever, but it's still metabolising into it.

Dahakon

Fledgling Freddie
I'm an 18 year old student and i don't drink at all, i used to but stopped a few years ago and havn't looked back at all. I guess my friends r just used to me not drinking, so they never put any pressure on me, when i am out with them I just drink coke, and tbh act crazily wnough wnyway for peopel not to notice :p

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
if i had to listen to anyones propaganda, it would be haarewin. not only because they have shown extensive knowledge in the past about drugs, but also because they are right on this occasion.

konah has shown s/he just wants MDMA legalised and has no reason for it.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
i dont want them to legalise anything tbh, would end up as a watered down, taxed waste of time, would cost a lot more for a half OZ if they legalised it too

Konah

Fledgling Freddie
tris- said:
konah has shown s/he just wants MDMA legalised and has no reason for it.

because it brings ppl together instead of unlocking the violent psycopath in them mayhaps?

and ofc i'm talking about pure. in moderation... ;)

tris-

Tilda said:
<enjoys student 20p a pint night>

W

T

F

cheapest in our S.U. is like 1.50 for a pint of worthis :(

Maeloch

Part of the furniture
The guilt, the self loathing, the feeling that you are wasting your life, the physical sickness...what you need to do is stop sobering up, and start drinking properly.

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Couple of thoughts...

Addiction is interesting. It's a very, very basic part of the make-up - and I mean at the genetic level - of the person involved. Certain people just have a greater predisposition to get addicted to things, and it's usually the brain chemistry that is involved with that process.

Let's face it, 'drugs' can mean anything from caffeine/nicotine/alcohol up to heroin. They're all things you can get hooked on. While it's mainly the chemical effect of the substance involved that forms the addiction (hell, even chocolate has a direct effect upon the brain, chemically speaking), the physical routine involved can become part of the process too; look at the ritual involved in, say, smoking. Different substances have different inherent chances of being addictive of their own right - I think crack cocaine is still the king on that count, supposed to have something like a 95% chance (figure taken from a BBC documentary about it I watched a couple of years ago) of getting you hooked on the first hit - but that will still be modified by the person involved's own innate addiction susceptibility.

Myself? I was functionally an alcoholic (five or six bottles of vodka a week, plus the higher end of the scale of student pubbing and partying most nights; there wasn't an hour, for at least a year, that I didn't have alcohol in my bloodstream) during the second year of university, and had to exert major self-control to stay off the sauce during my third year long enough to get a reasonable degree at the end of it. During the summer after graduation, I had to admit to myself that I was drinking too much (took a girlfriend to point it out, though) and so I just stopped it cold turkey; didn't have a drop of alcohol for 18 months. After that, I was reasonably sure I had enough self-control/self-discipline to stop when I wanted to, so I had an exploratory beer and discovered that instead of just continuing to drink for as long as the beer was available, I could now say 'enough already' after a couple and stop.

Was I out of control with my drinking? Hell yes. Am I 'cured'? Hell no. I'll never be 'cured'. As pretty much anyone who's ever been addicted to anything will tell you, it never goes away. Ever. Without having been through the whole cold-turkey-and-detox-and-self-control stage, I'd still be drinking very heavily to this day. Or dead of cirrhosis of the liver, given how much I was drinking; it's just so damn easy to have another one if I don't think about it. I could still easily just keep on drinking and drinking even now; it's just that now I have enough of a mental warning light - and enough self-discipline- to be able to stop. I know that 2 or 3 pints gives me a nice buzz, which was originally the point of an alcoholic drink in the first place, so I stop there. I still want more, through old habit, I simply don't let myself have any more because I know it won't go anywhere good if I carry on unchecked.
I remind myself of the time I ended up on the roof of a 5-storey building with the best part of two litres of vodka in my bloodstream, and I can shut myself off. I work evenings, and I get back at about 0200, and I like to have a glass of red wine to help me unwind. I keep the bottle by me and I have one glass and that's it; even though the bottle's there, I just have the one. That's the discipline. If I poured the glass of wine and then made sure I put the bottle away downstairs...too easy. It needs to be there so I can consciously not drink it. If you see what I mean.

Also, the circumstances around you can make it harder to spot or deal with. It was harder, in the frenetic alcohol-fuelled environment that student life so often is, to recognise how out of control my drinking was; I only quit in the relative calm of the summer after my final year. When everyone else is half drunk too, you don't stand out as much, especially not to yourself. My father died of cancer last January, after the end of a horrible 18 months of shit going wrong for me, and I definitely started drinking too much again for a while there; but I was in such a state over everything else that I simply didn't realise that I was slipping back. It was a sobering (if you'll pardon the expression :)) reminder of how easily I could slip back into habits I thought I had thoroughly beaten, and really opened me up to what I said before, that it never completely goes away. I will have to watch my drinking for the rest of my life; I don't have a problem with that necessity, it's part of the discipline of being alive, but it's something I will always have to watch. Such is life, and I'd rather be alive than dead.

Is being addicted to something a disease? Are addicts victims? Yes and no. Yes, in the sense that we have no control over our genetics and therefore our greater or lesser predisposition to getting hooked on the things we try. No, in that we always have the chance to stop, to say 'no', to not let ourselves get to the stage of real addiction where something controls us far more than we ever intended for it to. Also, when someone is an addict, the friends and family must take a portion at least of the blame - why didn't they see what was going on and step in to help? It makes me uneasy, therefore, when I hear people refer to alcoholism as a 'disease'; I don't think it is...or, at the very least, it's certainly not that simple.
You can get cancer through passive smoking, but you don't catch alcoholism.
I think it's a combination of things, any of which - apart from the person's predisposition to addiction in the first place - could be recognised and dealt with either by the person themselves or the people around them. You always have to option of saying 'no', but it's flat-out harder for some people than for others, especially if circumstances are making it harder than usual for them to stop. That's when your friends and family should be playing their part.

Should you live a life of monastic privation so you never run the risk of getting hooked on anything? Hell no. Where's the fucking fun in that? I really do believe it's better to regret the things you did than regret the things you didn't do; if you reach the age of 40 and have no regrets, then you've not been trying. Have fun. Have a party. But...use your brain. Don't drink 10 pints a night and go home to a half-bottle of vodka and tell yourself it's OK because at least you're not regretting something you didn't do. You know you're drinking too much if you're drinking that much.
Don't be a tard.
Don't hide behind excuses.
Realise that some things are inherently more likely to fuck you up than others; that one beer isn't going to screw you up, but that one needle genuinely might do. There's nothing morally wrong with any kind of drug; a drug's just a substance, neither good nor evil, it just is. But they all have different levels of how drastically they affect you, how vividly they affect you. Be aware of that. Heroin isn't evil; but you know, before you do it, that injecting it is stupid.

Cozak

Part of the furniture
tris- said:
W

T

F

cheapest in our S.U. is like 1.50 for a pint of worthis :(

club called Foundation in Newcastle, monday night is student night quid entry, quid a drink for anything.. double JD and coke night is that ;)

tris-

Cozak said:
club called Foundation in Newcastle, monday night is student night quid entry, quid a drink for anything.. double JD and coke night is that ;)

we have a place called the crown. its 3 quid in and the student prices for drinks are more expensive that a standard pub.
think its this town tbh. its not a rich place but the cost of living is fucking huge.

DocWolfe

Part of the furniture
Cozak said:

Its also full of fucking rah arseholes :p

"Daddy, I'm on the toilet, could you wipe my arse for me, with your tongue?"

tris-

haarewin, i got a question for you.

considering DMT is made naturally in the brain, why is it a class A drug in the UK?

evevn when you die, the brain creates A LOT of DMT. imo, this maybe a cause for seeing things in people who have had near death experiences.

but anyway, do you have any idea why its illegal when our brain makes it anyway?

Cozak

Part of the furniture
DocWolfe said:
Its also full of fucking rah arseholes :p

"Daddy, I'm on the toilet, could you wipe my arse for me, with your tongue?"

I can live with that for quid a drink, there is usually some canny lasses in as well ;)

haarewin

Fledgling Freddie
tris- said:

considering DMT is made naturally in the brain, why is it a class A drug in the UK?

evevn when you die, the brain creates A LOT of DMT. imo, this maybe a cause for seeing things in people who have had near death experiences.

but anyway, do you have any idea why its illegal when our brain makes it anyway?

because when it's taken into the body alongside a maoi (monoamine oxidase inhibitor - a kind of antidepressant that can be used for plenty of conditions - st john's wort is a naturally ocurring maoi, also, dmt is broken down by monoamine oxidase and its similar to serotonin - look at the structures) it produces highly euphoric / hallucinogenic effects - and can result in death.
i guess as it's potentially lethal it's class A - most class A's are. its also a 'schedule 1' and is therfore "considered to have no legitimate therapeutic use".
as far as i'm aware, there is no conclusion of where DMT is created in the brain and they aren't really sure of why its there either.
i haven't really covered DMT much in lectures or outside though so don't know that much about it :)

sorry it took ages to respond, i've been at work. (yawn!)

tris-

haarewin said:
i haven't really covered DMT much in lectures or outside though so don't know that much about it :)

sorry it took ages to respond, i've been at work. (yawn!)

most of info came from just googling about it, but there is only so much there that you can trust tbh :m00:

ive read it is only speculated that DMT is made in the pineal gland. obviously not having a lab and a spare brain i can only say from what i read that i believe it is. and also that it floods the body at birth and death. i think this maybe because of how powerful it is in the brain, it stops the trauma of dieing and making it all the more comfortable for ya. im not sure how else people could report visions and trips when they are on a near death experience.

Vladamir

FH is my second home
I don't know too much about it, but the hallucinogenic effects often noted with near-death experiences, aren't they caused by an endorphin release?. Don't know if this is DMT or what :p

Jox

Fledgling Freddie

Svartmetall said:
Addiction is interesting. It's a very, very basic part of the make-up - and I mean at the genetic level - of the person involved. Certain people just have a greater predisposition to get addicted to things, and it's usually the brain chemistry that is involved with that process.

Let's face it, 'drugs' can mean anything from caffeine/nicotine/alcohol up to heroin. They're all things you can get hooked on. While it's mainly the chemical effect of the substance involved that forms the addiction (hell, even chocolate has a direct effect upon the brain, chemically speaking), the physical routine involved can become part of the process too; look at the ritual involved in, say, smoking. Different substances have different inherent chances of being addictive of their own right - I think crack cocaine is still the king on that count, supposed to have something like a 95% chance (figure taken from a BBC documentary about it I watched a couple of years ago) of getting you hooked on the first hit - but that will still be modified by the person involved's own innate addiction susceptibility.

Myself? I was functionally an alcoholic (five or six bottles of vodka a week, plus the higher end of the scale of student pubbing and partying most nights; there wasn't an hour, for at least a year, that I didn't have alcohol in my bloodstream) during the second year of university, and had to exert major self-control to stay off the sauce during my third year long enough to get a reasonable degree at the end of it. During the summer after graduation, I had to admit to myself that I was drinking too much (took a girlfriend to point it out, though) and so I just stopped it cold turkey; didn't have a drop of alcohol for 18 months. After that, I was reasonably sure I had enough self-control/self-discipline to stop when I wanted to, so I had an exploratory beer and discovered that instead of just continuing to drink for as long as the beer was available, I could now say 'enough already' after a couple and stop.

Was I out of control with my drinking? Hell yes. Am I 'cured'? Hell no. I'll never be 'cured'. As pretty much anyone who's ever been addicted to anything will tell you, it never goes away. Ever. Without having been through the whole cold-turkey-and-detox-and-self-control stage, I'd still be drinking very heavily to this day. Or dead of cirrhosis of the liver, given how much I was drinking; it's just so damn easy to have another one if I don't think about it. I could still easily just keep on drinking and drinking even now; it's just that now I have enough of a mental warning light - and enough self-discipline- to be able to stop. I know that 2 or 3 pints gives me a nice buzz, which was originally the point of an alcoholic drink in the first place, so I stop there. I still want more, through old habit, I simply don't let myself have any more because I know it won't go anywhere good if I carry on unchecked.
I remind myself of the time I ended up on the roof of a 5-storey building with the best part of two litres of vodka in my bloodstream, and I can shut myself off. I work evenings, and I get back at about 0200, and I like to have a glass of red wine to help me unwind. I keep the bottle by me and I have one glass and that's it; even though the bottle's there, I just have the one. That's the discipline. If I poured the glass of wine and then made sure I put the bottle away downstairs...too easy. It needs to be there so I can consciously not drink it. If you see what I mean.

Also, the circumstances around you can make it harder to spot or deal with. It was harder, in the frenetic alcohol-fuelled environment that student life so often is, to recognise how out of control my drinking was; I only quit in the relative calm of the summer after my final year. When everyone else is half drunk too, you don't stand out as much, especially not to yourself. My father died of cancer last January, after the end of a horrible 18 months of shit going wrong for me, and I definitely started drinking too much again for a while there; but I was in such a state over everything else that I simply didn't realise that I was slipping back. It was a sobering (if you'll pardon the expression :)) reminder of how easily I could slip back into habits I thought I had thoroughly beaten, and really opened me up to what I said before, that it never completely goes away. I will have to watch my drinking for the rest of my life; I don't have a problem with that necessity, it's part of the discipline of being alive, but it's something I will always have to watch. Such is life, and I'd rather be alive than dead.

Is being addicted to something a disease? Are addicts victims? Yes and no. Yes, in the sense that we have no control over our genetics and therefore our greater or lesser predisposition to getting hooked on the things we try. No, in that we always have the chance to stop, to say 'no', to not let ourselves get to the stage of real addiction where something controls us far more than we ever intended for it to. Also, when someone is an addict, the friends and family must take a portion at least of the blame - why didn't they see what was going on and step in to help? It makes me uneasy, therefore, when I hear people refer to alcoholism as a 'disease'; I don't think it is...or, at the very least, it's certainly not that simple.
You can get cancer through passive smoking, but you don't catch alcoholism.
I think it's a combination of things, any of which - apart from the person's predisposition to addiction in the first place - could be recognised and dealt with either by the person themselves or the people around them. You always have to option of saying 'no', but it's flat-out harder for some people than for others, especially if circumstances are making it harder than usual for them to stop. That's when your friends and family should be playing their part.

Should you live a life of monastic privation so you never run the risk of getting hooked on anything? Hell no. Where's the fucking fun in that? I really do believe it's better to regret the things you did than regret the things you didn't do; if you reach the age of 40 and have no regrets, then you've not been trying. Have fun. Have a party. But...use your brain. Don't drink 10 pints a night and go home to a half-bottle of vodka and tell yourself it's OK because at least you're not regretting something you didn't do. You know you're drinking too much if you're drinking that much.
Don't be a tard.
Don't hide behind excuses.
Realise that some things are inherently more likely to fuck you up than others; that one beer isn't going to screw you up, but that one needle genuinely might do. There's nothing morally wrong with any kind of drug; a drug's just a substance, neither good nor evil, it just is. But they all have different levels of how drastically they affect you, how vividly they affect you. Be aware of that. Heroin isn't evil; but you know, before you do it, that injecting it is stupid.

Interesting post Svartmetall. I think the definition for addiction is that you need outside help to get rid of it. I tried to stay away from alcohol one month and failed horribly. I will try again and if I cant do it I have to confront the fact that I am addicted and need professional help to stop.

Darksword

Can't get enough of FH
tris- said:

DMT is fucking MAAAAD! however it depends which form you take

pill form = the power, fucking insane, trips can last hours and may involve vomiting. make sure you take correct doses of all drugs, even if you consider yourself big on drugs.

smoke it = the glory! amazing trip experience, you "see" sound and amazing images, many recall elf like creatures etc. It's only a 10 minute trip but amazing. People recall fantastic stories in great detail however it all fades after a day and are usually left with just a warm glow with the feeling of the experience.

Its simple to grow and process your own dmt, infact a company in europe sells it in a pill form as you have to have another pill to get the experience out fo the pill form so thats actually not illegal, selling both drugs togethar is iirc.

tris-

you dont need a pill for an MAOI. i know its simple to grow the grass that you can harvest and smoke which contains DMT amongst other alkaloids. you can grow it indoors on the window.

Phooka

Fledgling Freddie
Dont replace it with weed...
Weed is a sneak it effect you alot more then you think at first. It will totally destroy ne motivation you have to do anything. If you combine that with gaming addiction you are doomned....
All drugs are bad, nething is bad in high dosses. Drugs just need a smaller amount too fuck you over good. Believe i know what i am talking about when it comes too an addiction. I smoked 3grams of hasjiesj, rocky for the brits evry 2 days, sometimes more for 5 years, combined with the gaming addiction i was a stranger too even myself. im 27 now and still in university i started on 7 years ago and prolly will take 3 more years too finish.
The only way too stop from an addiction is just saying no and stop making excuses... Excuses r your worst enemie. I quit smoking since november and smoking weed for almost 2 months now. I must admit i drink more alcohol now but im ok with that as I drink it for the buzz when we go out.
In my oppinion evryone is free to do what they want, use what they want as long as they dont hurt neone else because of it. And they are aware of what they are doing to themselves.

As some people alrdy pointed out, it is all about self controll and self motivation. The only way you will stop doing anything is by REALLY not wanting the consequence it has on you.
As for smoking weed/hasjies im not saying i wont ever smoke it again, as i think it is ok too smoke once in a while, but alot of people cant controll themselves wich sux. It is weird as i know alot of people around me do drugs and tell themselves ok this was the lasttime for a while... 2 weeks later they on the X again... Addiction imo.

GL all

haarewin

Fledgling Freddie
tris- said:
most of info came from just googling about it, but there is only so much there that you can trust tbh :m00:

ive read it is only speculated that DMT is made in the pineal gland. obviously not having a lab and a spare brain i can only say from what i read that i believe it is. and also that it floods the body at birth and death. i think this maybe because of how powerful it is in the brain, it stops the trauma of dieing and making it all the more comfortable for ya. im not sure how else people could report visions and trips when they are on a near death experience.

yeah most of it was from googling - couldn't find much else about it in my psychopharmacology books :/. it's potentially difficult to figure out where it comes from though - at birth you can't give a baby radioactive labelled stuff to figure it out with a scan, and at death it could flood the brain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom