Alan Davies and the Hillsborough comments

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Is it just me or has Liverpool fans blown this way out of fucking proportion? he basically made a comparison about the disaster, didn't mock any of the people that died during it and now he's getting childish threats from people who werent even fucking born in 1989, some of which include (and I'm not making this up)

"I hope you get cancer so your kids can't enjoy christmas anymore"
"I would love to watch your wife get raped"
"I'm going to piss on your mothers grave"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/17676392

Going way over the top this now, its pathetic the backlash he's getting off aggressive cunts.

Bit more about it for those who have missed it

Short end of it: 96 fans died (basically being crushed) and a further 760 or so injured during a Liverpool game in 1989 and out of "Respect" Liverpool don't play on the 15th of April.

and Alan Davies said the following

"He said: "Liverpool and the 15th - that gets on my tits that shit. What are you talking about, 'We won't play on the day?' Why can't they?
"My mum died on 22 August, I don't stay in all day on 22 August. It's a significant day in my life, but if Arsenal are playing at home I'm about it.
"Do they play on the date of the Heysel Stadium disaster? How many dates do they not play on?
"Do Man United play on the date of Munich? Do Rangers play on the date when all their fans died in that disaster whatever year that was - 1971?"
"Every interview [Liverpool manager Kenny Daliglish] gives he looks like he wants to head-butt the interviewer. This tight-mouthed, furious-frowning, leaning-forward, bitter Glaswegian ranting 'We won't play on that date'. Oh thanks very much, well done.
"So you absolutely refuse to play on that date, which means Chelsea have got to play at 6pm before a Champions League game.
"I understand - Hillsborough is the most awful thing that's happened in my life in terms of football. It's one of the worst tragedies in English peacetime history but it's ridiculous this, 'We refuse to play football on this day anymore'."

In short he made a comparison, in bad taste maybe but in no way did he insult any of those people that died.

And for those don't know about the things he's talking about (like Heysel) etc I shalt post below what happend on said dates.

Heysel Stadium Disaster

The Heysel Stadium Disaster occurred on 29 May 1985 when escaping fans were pressed against a wall in the Heysel Stadium in Brussels, Belgium before the start of the 1985 European Cup Final between Liverpool of England and Juventus of Italy. 39 Juventus fans died and 600 were injured.
Approximately one hour before the Liverpool-Juventus final was due to kick off, a large group of Liverpool fans breached a fence separating them from a "neutral area" which contained rival Juventus fans. The Juventus fans ran back on the terraces and away from the threat into a concrete retaining wall. Fans already seated near the wall were crushed; eventually the wall collapsed. Many people climbed over to safety, but many others died or were badly injured. The game was played despite the disaster in order to prevent further violence.[1]
The tragedy resulted in all English football clubs being placed under an indefinite ban by UEFA from all European competitions (lifted in 1990–91), with Liverpool being excluded for an additional year and fourteen Liverpool fans found guilty of involuntary manslaughter and each sentenced to 3 years imprisonment. The disaster was later described as "the darkest hour in the history of the UEFA competitions".[2]

Munich Air Disaster

The Munich air disaster occurred on 6 February 1958, when British European Airways Flight 609 crashed on its third attempt to take off from a slush-covered runway at Munich-Riem Airport in Munich, West Germany. On board the plane was the Manchester United football team, nicknamed the "Busby Babes", along with a number of supporters and journalists.[1] Twenty of the 44 people on board the aircraft died in the crash. The injured, some of whom had been knocked unconscious, were taken to the Rechts der Isar Hospital in Munich where three more died, resulting in a total of 23 fatalities with 21 survivors.

Ibrox Stadium Disaster

The second major incident occurred on Saturday, 2 January 1971, when 66 people were killed in a crush, as supporters tried to leave the stadium. The match was an Old Firm game and was attended by over 80,000 fans. In the last regulation minute, Celtic took a 1–0 lead and some Rangers supporters started to leave the stadium. However, in the final moments of the match, Colin Stein scored an equaliser for Rangers.[3]
As thousands of spectators were leaving the ground by stairway 13, it appears that someone, possibly a child being carried on his father's shoulders, fell, causing a massive chain-reaction pile-up of people.[4]

The tragic loss included many children – five of them schoolmates from the town of Markinch in Fife. Most of the deaths were caused by compressive asphyxia, with bodies being stacked up to six feet deep in the area. Over 200 other fans were injured. Initially there was speculation that some fans left the ground slightly early when Celtic scored, but then turned back when they heard the crowd cheering when Stein scored the equaliser, colliding with fans leaving the ground when the match ended.[5] The official inquiry into the disaster indicated that there was no truth in this hypothesis, however, as all the spectators were heading in the same direction at the time of the collapse.[5] In his autobiography, Sir Alex Ferguson wrote that his brother, Martin, had attended the game against his parents' wishes and – since he returned home late – he was initially feared, by his family, to have been caught up in the disaster.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
i agree :) they blow it all out of propotion and even rejected his 1k donation to the charity for the hills ppls

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Totally agree but what do you expect? Liverpool has a monopoly on self pity.

Punishment

Resident Freddy
More saddos on the internet using PC to gang up on a non sheep

When they were out throwing cabbages at people being executed afew generations back what can you expect eh, it's a day out for the family i suppose

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Pity City. Scousers have a monopoly on maudlin, and before anyone has a pop, my mother and all my mother's side of the family are from Liverpool. All these arseholes on Twitter are scum.

Davies was absolutely, 100%, correct. He may not have been very nice about the way he articulated it, but why should Hillsborough get a special pass when other football tragedies don't? And the fact that there hasn't been "justice" for the families isn't an excuse not to play football. (And let's face it, there won't be justice until the last cop involved is safely dead or otherwise beyond prosecution; South Yorkshire cops have been protecting their own since long before Hillsborough, ask any ex-miner).

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Agree with Davies, really wish he had not backed down due to the backlash.

gohan

FH is my second home
The main point he was making wasn't even about liverpool not playing, it was that because of it Chelsea now have 2 tough fixtures with a day less to rest. If Liverpool don't want to play on that day then that's their call, but other teams shouldn't suffer through it.

It all comes back to the bullshit Semi's at wembly tho, if they were at neutrle stadiums both could have played saturday no problem

soze

I am a FH squatter
I think he is right, rather than refusing to change days they could of had a event to mark the day at Wembley. It is an excuse and no one will call them on their bullshit. I do not know how the fixtures were picked but if Liverpool got to pick the Saturday or the FA moved them to Saturday because Sunday was the anniversary then that is bullshit. If Liverpool were drawn out of the hat for Saturday then they should not be forced to swap. As Davis said in the Interview Spuds refused to change the date on a fixture with us before too just because we are rivals.

The real cunts in this are the FA and ITV who refused to play it on Friday night because of the viewer numbers I bet.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
He's damn right about Dalgleish. An aggressive little man.

megadave

I am a FH squatter
He's right. Shame his comments on it have been taken out of the context with the rest of the podcast as well, which was all in the same tone, as it is every week and it's quite funny, even for a non-arsenal fan.

DaGaffer

It all comes back to the bullshit Semi's at wembly tho, if they were at neutrle stadiums both could have played saturday no problem

While this is true, and personally I loathe semi-finals at Wembely as it devalues an already devauled tournament; it still deflects from the fact that Liverpool can dick around with the footballing calendar when other teams don't. At some point this has to stop, or do we see Liverpool's All-Cyborg XI not playing the Mars City Mutants 1000 years from now because of some anniversary no-one even remembers?

The real cunts in this are the FA and ITV who refused to play it on Friday night because of the viewer numbers I bet.

To be fair it wouldn't be reasonable for Liverpool and Everton fans to go to Wembley on a Friday. Spurs & Chelsea would have been OK, but then you'd have the issue of Chelsea players having a narrow gap after the CL first leg.

megadave

I am a FH squatter
They've already got us playing as early as possible on Saturday for some unknown reason, we requested to play on Friday but they rejected it, almost definitely because ITV would get viewed ratings, same reason we couldn't play early on a Sunday but instead a 6pm kick-off which is rare.

The FA have even just come out with comments stating their changing the time of the FA cup final which has been at 3pm for a hundred years because it'll get more tv viewings, cunts.

soze

I am a FH squatter
To be fair it wouldn't be reasonable for Liverpool and Everton fans to go to Wembley on a Friday. Spurs & Chelsea would have been OK, but then you'd have the issue of Chelsea players having a narrow gap after the CL first leg.
I believe Chel$ki asked to play Friday night and it was rejected, I do not know what Spuds said but the FA said no. I did not mean Liverpool play Friday night.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
The part I find fucked about it is the Heysel thing, I hadn't heard of Heysel before that Pod cast as A) I don't follow football at all, I really don't and B) I don't scower the Internet looking for Disasters - but after hearing about it I was literally shocked to find that Liverpool don't even mention it or acknowledge it even happened despite being the ones that caused it? and then to have the fucking nerve to say "We have a day off to show respect for the dead" is just cheeky as fuck in my eyes.... what about the 39 dead + 600 injured Juventus fans?

Sure they could argue "We didnt cause the Heysel Disaster neither did any of our family" but then you could say "You didnt cause the Hillsborough Disaster either and probably werent even there when it happened but you still use it as an excuse for a day off"

fucking daft it is

Tom

I am a FH squatter
The only team I'd have sympathy for for not wanting to play on a particular date is Bradford City, because that was truly horrific and accepted by most people as blameless.

Anyone who doesn't know what I'm talking about can google the Bradford City stadium fire - it was broadcast live. I warn you though, it's pretty horrific.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I've watched that as part of a fire training course. Amazing how quickly it spread. :(

As for Davies, I agree completely with what he was saying. Perhaps he could've said it a bit more tactfully but it's no worse than all the other stuff on that podcast.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
I actually stand corrected about Heysel, apparently Liverpool have a memorial Plaque at Anfield and a 2 minute silence every year / 39 bell rings (since 29th of may 2010) still wasnt brought into effect until 25 years after it happend tho it seems.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
You guys need to read trashy papers less. There's arseholes everywhere in the world.

Heard what Alan Davies, an obviously unbiased Arsenal fan, said - and he's entitled to his opinion. End of.

Oh noes! A reasonable Liverpool fan eh? With family who were actually at Hilsborough when it happened! Oh noes!

Anyway. Sorry to interrupt the thread. Carry on with the hating.... :)

DaGaffer

You guys need to read trashy papers less. There's arseholes everywhere in the world.

Heard what Alan Davies, an obviously unbiased Arsenal fan, said - and he's entitled to his opinion. End of.

Oh noes! A reasonable Liverpool fan eh? With family who were actually at Hilsborough when it happened! Oh noes!

Anyway. Sorry to interrupt the thread. Carry on with the hating.... :)

What does being an Arsenal fan have to do with anything? His complaint was actually about the effect on Chelsea, hardly a typical bit of Gooner partisanship.

I also notice you haven't actually given your opinion on the whole issue...

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
The part I find fucked about it is the Heysel thing, I hadn't heard of Heysel before that Pod cast as A) I don't follow football at all, I really don't and B) I don't scower the Internet looking for Disasters - but after hearing about it I was literally shocked to find that Liverpool don't even mention it or acknowledge it even happened despite being the ones that caused it? and then to have the fucking nerve to say "We have a day off to show respect for the dead" is just cheeky as fuck in my eyes.... what about the 39 dead + 600 injured Juventus fans?

Sure they could argue "We didnt cause the Heysel Disaster neither did any of our family" but then you could say "You didnt cause the Hillsborough Disaster either and probably werent even there when it happened but you still use it as an excuse for a day off"

fucking daft it is

They did cause Hysel though, 13 went to prison on manslaughter charges. Hysel should be remembered every bit as much as Hillsborough but that would be a guilt trip for Liverpool and we all know they prefer a pity party instead. This from the club who have sung songs about bodies burning on the runway at Munich since the 1970's and fly pretend airplanes as a windup to our fans. Yet the rest of the world has to work around Liverpool FC when it comes thier time of year to mourn the dead. Double standards, fucking hypocrites.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
It's a football thing, I have to keep my fat gob shut, not even a hint of irony, not a miniscule shred of agreement with Alan Davies, it goes deeper than kissing the Pope's ass, I would seriously get my teeth knocked out if anyone around here thought I wasn't 999% behind the Hillsborough supporter Nazi's.
It's the same fake 'genuineness' and 'well done mate' you see at the football matches.
With us or against us and yes I know quite a few people who died there.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I also notice you haven't actually given your opinion on the whole issue...

If I didn't know anyone who was personally affected then I'd probably feel like Alan Davies. However I know quite a few and understand the importance, to them, of the small rituals that help them cope with the loss of their children - which is a pain I imagine never goes away - and make them feel like society actually gives a shit about that sort of thing.

So, for purely selfish personal feelings (i.e. I like my friends and family to feel OK) I'm happy for football world to twiddle it's thumbs on the anniversary if they want to play LFC - but if it changes I won't be personally offended.

Not being arsey - clear enough?

This from the club who have sung songs about bodies burning on the runway at Munich since the 1970's and fly pretend airplanes as a windup to our fans.

As someone who's A) never done that and B) sat in the ground with ManU fans singing about the Hillsborough dead I'd like to say the following:
fucking hypocrites.

Indeed :)

Edit: Liverpool has been battered over the head since Hillsborough with the lies that still perpetuate to this very day. I still get accused, a few times a year, generally in pubs by drunken football fans, of robbing from and pissing on the bodies of my own dead. So if you find Liverpool fans are a bit prickly about Hillsborough, bear in mind that we've had morons give us nothing but shit for a horrible tradgedy which cost us friends and family for most of our lives...

DaGaffer

If I didn't know anyone who was personally affected then I'd probably feel like Alan Davies. However I know quite a few and understand the importance, to them, of the small rituals that help them cope with the loss of their children - which is a pain I imagine never goes away - and make them feel like society actually gives a shit about that sort of thing.

So, for purely selfish personal feelings (i.e. I like my friends and family to feel OK) I'm happy for football world to twiddle it's thumbs on the anniversary if they want to play LFC - but if it changes I won't be personally offended.

Not being arsey - clear enough?

Perfectly reasonable, but you do see it has to end sometime?

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Daft situation either way, 2 wrongs don't make a right... on the one hand Alan Davies said something in bad taste, it wasnt inaccurate nor was it an insult to any of the people that were killed or injured on that day and on the other hand you have Liverpool fans clearly overreacting dishing out death threats etc to him and his family (who had fuck all to do with it) Davies might have kicked the whole thing off but in my eyes as an outsider he isnt the one in the wrong this far down the line, its every Liverpool supporter thats sent the poor bloke death threats and what not over something so trivial that anyone with an ounce of dignity and common sense would just brush off the shoulder and ignore.

Liverpool being Liverpool tho its all #we're up for a fight because we're hard and we've got something to prove - The only thing your proving is that your a bunch of aggressive cunts that can't handle anything with an ounce of civil decency (and that isnt directed at all of Liverpool before anyone gets on the defensive horse, its directed at anyone thats had a foot in blowing it out of proportion)

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
This is what fucks me off, we are not like that, they call Liverpool the self pity city, it's a minority and I'll take a leap here, of Irish bleedin catholics with their 'shrine' mentality that are orcestrating the whole thing, loads of people don't give afuck, but you'd better keep your mouth shut.
I watched the EVerton-Liverpool game in the pub even though I couldn't give a fuck who won, we had atwo minute silence and I can tell you if I 'd have said. 'we need to put this to bed guys' I would have been beaten to death, no exageration, I would be battered by every person in the room.
I sometime try to point out that it was caused by the usual mob of drunk fucknuts who turn up late and barge into the ground, it was them pushing from the back that killed everyone.
'No it's the police, they shouldn't have let them in.'
Actually it was years of drunk, aggressive, pitch invading wankers who got the fences put up in the first place, because behaving like animals gets you a cage.
It beggars belief to me that people even considered going into those grounds, did they not think?
Were they so used to being herded like cattle that they didn't consider the consequences of being in a jam packed mob of over excited, drunk, chanting idiots.
Wouldn't have gone near the place.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
This is what fucks me off, we are not like that, they call Liverpool the self pity city, it's a minority and I'll take a leap here, of Irish bleedin catholics with their 'shrine' mentality that are orcestrating the whole thing, loads of people don't give afuck, but you'd better keep your mouth shut.
I watched the EVerton-Liverpool game in the pub even though I couldn't give a fuck who won, we had atwo minute silence and I can tell you if I 'd have said. 'we need to put this to bed guys' I would have been beaten to death, no exageration, I would be battered by every person in the room.
I sometime try to point out that it was caused by the usual mob of drunk fucknuts who turn up late and barge into the ground, it was them pushing from the back that killed everyone.
'No it's the police, they shouldn't have let them in.'
Actually it was years of drunk, aggressive, pitch invading wankers who got the fences put up in the first place, because behaving like animals gets you a cage.
It beggars belief to me that people even considered going into those grounds, did they not think?
Were they so used to being herded like cattle that they didn't consider the consequences of being in a jam packed mob of over excited, drunk, chanting idiots.
Wouldn't have gone near the place.

I didnt direct that at all of Liverpool tho hence clearly stating

Liverpool being Liverpool tho its all #we're up for a fight because we're hard and we've got something to prove - The only thing your proving is that your a bunch of aggressive cunts that can't handle anything with an ounce of civil decency (and that isnt directed at all of Liverpool before anyone gets on the defensive horse, its directed at anyone thats had a foot in blowing it out of proportion)

I have no problem with Liverpool in general, i'm sure its a nice place and every city across the UK has its fair share of cunts that spoil it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom