Agree or not ?

mr.Blacky

Can't get enough of FH
Hmm this is the first time I heard about people moaning about snipers. Normaly most of the complaints are about Panzers in ET ;). Imho most things you can do in a game take some kind of skill, it might be good inclose fighting or the patience for sniping (I often use sniping so i can have a beer or a smoke).
The only thing you people are moaning about when you're moaning about snipers ruining games is your own game choice.
I do agree with this, only I could replace sniper with any other role there is to play in FPS.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Have to agree with Waz. Realism games suck on pubbys but I do quite enjoy MoH with friends. Especially since most of my mates are crap snipers :)

(Although Pup is quite good and Mesmer wins the 'persistence and patience' award :))

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Don't even get me started on public servers... they're bad enough even on totally balanced games :x

leggy

Probably Scottish
Swift^ said:
The main reason people get annoyed with sniper style weapons is because you all insist on playing REALISM based FPS games.

Sniper rifles were made to give one side a blatantly unfair advantage. Stop playing 'realistic' FPS games and this eliminated the problem. The only thing you people are moaning about when you're moaning about snipers ruining games is your own game choice.

I like round based games though. There aren't many non-realism based FPS games that aren't just DM,TDM and CTF. I know about Quake and UT but they are getting old now and losing alot of their player base. If you can find a non realism based that isnt just regular mp type play then tell me about it please :)

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
leggy said:
I like round based games though. There aren't many non-realism based FPS games that aren't just DM,TDM and CTF. I know about Quake and UT but they are getting old now and losing alot of their player base. If you can find a non realism based that isnt just regular mp type play then tell me about it please :)

I'm a Q3 man. Don't have time for any other games (in fact I barely even have time for Q3, I get to play it about once a month these days)... been a good couple of years since I even attempted to play anything else MP tbh.

Gaming for a job kills your passion for wanting to play good games for fun. It smells.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Swift^ said:
I'm a Q3 man. Don't have time for any other games (in fact I barely even have time for Q3, I get to play it about once a month these days)... been a good couple of years since I even attempted to play anything else MP tbh.

Gaming for a job kills your passion for wanting to play good games for fun. It smells.

I misheard you. I thought you said gaming was your job instead of gaymen. How I laughed :)

Uncle Sick

One of Freddy's beloved
1. Realism. No, sorry, there’s nothing realistic about taking a shot every second with your scoped Mosin-Nagant or Springfield. They’re bolt-action rifles and need to manually load the next bullet, meaning losing sight of the target. The guns also aren’t one-shot kills. If they are, so would be the MP44 Sturmgewehr or AK-47 at shorter distances, which use similarly sized ammunition. As it is, most games set sniper rifles to be the Finger of God – simply look at your target, twitch your finger and boom, he’s dead. Forget that it’s called “sniper rifle” and imagine it’s called “Finger of God” – would you implement a weapon with that name, as a designer?

He has a point there...

3. Weapon Diversity. No, when a sniper rifle makes it into a game, everyone wants to use it. All other weapons lose a tremendous amount of appeal. Who wants to rush with the MP40 or AK when you know you’re going to run into a veritable wall of lead – why not just snipe back?

... and here.

God, do I hate scopers. Scopers, not snipers. I hate mp_huertgen with scopes and love it without. I love realism, the more the better but quite honestly: everyone goes for a scoped rifle on certain maps when available.

If someone caps me with a Kar98 or Enfield - respect.
A scoper just gets a snort.

Germany didn't invade Russia with 3 million snipers.
The Allies didn't land in Normandy with hundreds of thousands of snipers.

You don't die if a Springfield bullet hits your hand or your foot.
So, ner, scoping doesn't add to realism.

granny

Fledgling Freddie
Remember the article writer was writing about playing on American public servers. Have you ever played an FPS on a US public server? It's like all the worst elements of Euro servers ^ 10. Whinging, camping, laming, n00bing, smacktalking, wave after wave of pustulant pre-pubescent snot-nosed American kids, being shot in the head with large calibre sniper bullets is just too good for them tbh.

:flame:

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Ok i remember getting some seriously insane scores when i awp hoe'd in CS.

But then theres the downside, you miss your shot its a 3s reload and your gonna die if your playing anyone who isnt a complete spazz, and not only that they removed the instant pistol switch so you could legshot someone then cap them with a glock for big laughs :(

Oh hey and anyone remember ch3tan saying i sucked the cock at CS?
beat 4k at japlan now carry on talking shit somewhere else ch3t.

Moved onto greener non-fps based pastures for a while though.

OblongChicken

Fledgling Freddie
Swift^ said:
Contradiction of the day. It's ok and for you to snipe, but because it's slightly unbalanced on him when your not sniping and a sniper kills him it's not ok and not fun? Well played. :D

Uh? Please reword that sentence to make sense? To reiterate for the grammatically challenged, sniping is gay because it's no fun to get sniped. It's just trading on the willingness of the other players to play properly. Sniping as a tactic is acceptable if it's for the greater good of the team winning, but on publics people just snipe to get good scores. It goes against the spirit of the game.

Doomy

Fledgling Freddie
If you dislike sniper rifles whatever you do dont play Rainbow Six: 3 on Xbox. The 50'cal kills when you hit someones finger and up close its still lethal. Whenever i join a room i always ask if any weapons are banned and if they are i bet you the 50cal is. If they arent however im invincible :p

Nothing like being a sniper in a game, its the best way of playing but ill grab a machine gun if the entire team is using rifles happily enough. Frrom the anti snipers here it would seem that running around with a great big 'SNIPER HERE!' neon sign would be preferable.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
OblongChicken said:
Uh? Please reword that sentence to make sense? To reiterate for the grammatically challenged, sniping is gay because it's no fun to get sniped. It's just trading on the willingness of the other players to play properly. Sniping as a tactic is acceptable if it's for the greater good of the team winning, but on publics people just snipe to get good scores. It goes against the spirit of the game.

I sniped on 10v10 publics because its the best way to practice your aim.

Bots are too predictable and you cant buy an awp and get 5 kills every round in a pcw.

Doomy

Fledgling Freddie
Fight fire with fire.... Till the boredom sets in.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
OblongChicken said:

I started referring to you as he, but changed my mind and referred to you as you. I missed a few hims and hes though. :D

Munkey

Can't get enough of FH
I thought sniper rifles were bloody fun! the original dod_omaha rocked with sniper rifles. Nazi's could obliterate everyone coming out the boats, but if you were allies and you hid in the water at the shoreline and sniped all the german snipers, you could rack up enourmas kill counts as they could never see you (sweet revenge)

I loved sniping, much more fun than running round with a gun that runs out of ammo in 5 seconds of fire.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
The majority of games contain sniper rifles which require skill and practise to use effectively. They are also more costly/less of them than other weapon types and so it balances out the damage they can do.

You need a balanced game that offers different types of play. FPS players hate the sniper, but you just have to accept it as part of the game, it would be boring without them.

RandomBastard

Can't get enough of FH
Heh sniper rifles are fun, if you dont realise this i suggest you play stalingrad with several drunk housemates on a lan and have a sniper battle ;)

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
Sniping in games one of my favorite topics :p

I like it in BF from time to time on Bocage or Kursk especially however in that particular game you are really not going to be able to rush and take a flag when you are facing someone defending who has a nice machine gun.

In COD I do not find myself being a sniper as much as some, I am way to impatient and depend on my fellow team members to cover me as I rush in to arm a bomb in S&D or steal some docs or a radio in RE. Also defending because I was born with tent pegs a nice machine gun is preferable for me to kill with than sitting there patiently waiting for someone to bimble into my scope.

What I absolutely cannot stand are people who cannot vary their gameplay according to the situation. i.e. those people who always run round with a sniper rifle in BF even when they have just been killed by a tank or those people who stand there sniping when bases need to be re-taken ( :twak: @ Jup), it makes me shout cockbadger in teamspeak :p

Jonaldo

Can't get enough of FH
I love sniper rifles in games :) mostly because I can watch a dvd, read a book, have my PS2 running on the small telly, eat dinner, talk to my mate on the phone and still win every round with little chance of being killed except by another sniper.
I don't see how anyone can say they make games easier or use any less skill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom