Advice Ageing SSD (like me, before you say it? )

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Seeing more and more about SSD deaths and realising that mine went in about 5 years ago, should I be replacing it? Samsung magician says it's 'good health' with about 45 Tb written... it's only a 256 Gb device (NVME) so would I benefit from replacing it?

Embattle

FH is my second home
Yes it is getting on a bit, it is also rather small as well :p

You can get 1TB NVMEs for under £50, now providing you have two slots you could get one and use it as the main drive a keep the older one and stick some games on it or something else that doesn't require regular backups.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
My Seagate Firecuda 2GB claims to be in good health with a low number of writes and 3 years old but it randomly stops working. Moved all my data off it now.

Embattle

FH is my second home
On that note I've always found the health data a bit and miss, I remember an old OCZ SSD I had with great health at the time but it popped a month later. Write data is a good tool for guidance towards the ultimate failure of the hard drive but not such a good indicator of sudden failure.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I just ensure I backup owt important to the cloud.

If you really look at your stuff, there's very little that's actually "important" tho.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
I just ensure I backup owt important to the cloud.

If you really look at your stuff, there's very little that's actually "important" tho.
Tip: don't put your really 'important' stuff on the cloud.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Tip: don't put your really 'important' stuff on the cloud.
Meh. Important data needs to not be lost. If Microsoft goes bust then at least I'll have a local copy. But who's going to "hack" them?

I don't even really have "important" stuff. The only important stuff are my banking logons and they're in my head - and if I forget them, then I can go to the bank with some ID.

What other stuff do people count as actually important?

old.Osy

No longer scrounging, still a bastard.
Meh. Important data needs to not be lost. If Microsoft goes bust then at least I'll have a local copy. But who's going to "hack" them?

I don't even really have "important" stuff. The only important stuff are my banking logons and they're in my head - and if I forget them, then I can go to the bank with some ID.

I'd say personal pictures from across the years. Certain personal documents, but that's about it.

Wij

I am a FH squatter

I meant the stuff the Feds could bust you for.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I'd say personal pictures from across the years. Certain personal documents, but that's about it.
Which is fair, but why not cloud then?

It's cheaper, it's robust (if we can run banking systems on AWS and Azure then we can store our photos there), it's lower maintenance and doesn't take up any space. You just tick folders you want to replicate and it all gets done for you.

I used to like having my own NAS. But then I thought "it's just like DVD's - why bother".

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I meant the stuff the Feds could bust you for.
I'm so boring I don't have any of that :(

Edit: Unless we're talking the booty from sailing the high seas, at which point I can ditch it all overboard, it's not important and I've always got my boat so I can go out again if I really want to ;)

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Cheers Folks! Other than it being a PITA to reinstall the apps I use, all of my more important stuff is on a raid HDD pair. I'll grab a 1Tb one, I think.

Samsung still a decent way to go, or are there reasons to avoid? Ta.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I typically use Samsung or Crucial for my SSDs. Also backup to the cloud (encrypted at source ofc). Think I have a few TBs dotted around the interwebs but got an old microserver with 4 x 4TB drives I am toying with placing at my sons for offsite backups to reduce cloud costs.

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
I typically use Samsung or Crucial for my SSDs. Also backup to the cloud (encrypted at source ofc). Think I have a few TBs dotted around the interwebs but got an old microserver with 4 x 4TB drives I am toying with placing at my sons for offsite backups to reduce cloud costs.

I hope none of those dodgy pics of you and me are anywhere in the cloud!!! :eek:

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I hope none of those dodgy pics of you and me are anywhere in the cloud!!! :eek:
Encrypted!! The password is "Anotherreallyshortpersonpic" so not even quantum crypto can break it!!!!!

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
Talking of dodgy pics of @Deebs.....

deebsed.JPG

Yes that is a pair of branded Freddyshouse skidmarked knickers

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom