AFK mining kills!!!

P

Prat

i went afk last night lost my brand new bestower in a 1.0 security sector woke up this morning floting in my pod got the customary concord your ship got deaded thing and if ur interested in who did it it said Zima

C

Custy

I afk all the time in Cistuvaert :D

Make sure it is a true 1.0 and not a 0.96 or whatever.

If you show info on a system it has a sec number to 2 decimal places but rounds it up on the system info which always shows in game.

P

Prat

this is a true 1.0 its a nooby starting sector it was a player that killed me hehe

A

adslrizla

It happens. You just have to balance ship/clone cost against how much you've made from "sleepmining". It should be a positive amount in the long term (a week or so) - and I hope nobody here is dumb enough to insure an indy :D

Going AFK for any reason in 0.4 or lower however is really stupid and if you get podkilled then you deserve it :p

D

Drum

Speaking as a dumb noob, why is it a bad idea to insure an Indy?

A

adslrizla

It only costs a mill or so for a mid-range indy. You can earn that in a day - even 2 evenings of play should definitely get you a replacement.

There's better things to spend cash on at that stage in the game - like skills and a clone, plus you're not gonna be going anywhere dangerous on your own in an indy so risk is minimal.

If you're a bit more advanced in the game you're not going to insure it because 1 mill is nothing really and if you're in a corp then they are your insurance :)

A

adslrizla

Another point on insurance (really for freelancers) : insure your first cruiser in each class for the maximum amount that you can.

Yes it's expensive but many of you won't have the weapons/skills to properly equip it - I've lost count of all the whines I've seen from dumb people who bought a cruiser and immediately headed off to 0.4 and lower areas only to die the same day. Also cruisers are very slow (you can turn most indys around faster) and this will come as rather a nasty shock to you the first time you have a run-in with a PC pirate. You can speed them up and make them a bit more manueverable but you probably don't yet have all the skills/items for this (I know I don't).

Once you have more than one cruiser in each class (eg two Thorax) and you have them equipped then stop the insurance as the loss of one cruiser will be annoying but not devastating :)

P

Prat

my main problem was i forgot to insure anything and it was the first day i'd got the things so i made almost nothing off it i'd only been playing 4 days when it happened

Users who are viewing this thread