ADSL Sound interference

M

Maljonic

I have bt's speedtouch adsl modem and when I play music or watch films I always get sound interference which goes away if I unplug the modem. There must be a way to fix this, BT says they don't know what I'm talking about and my local computer shop advises talking to BT:(

This wouldn't normally be a problem, all I have to do is unplug the thing, but my flatmate is on the net through my computer which means he can't play CS when I want to watch a film; which leaves him twiddling his thumbs for 2 hours and me feeling guilty:) This rediculous farse has to end, can anyone help?

S

S-Gray

hmm, thats a strange one.

Have you tried plugging it into the other USB Port, and see if it does it then?

M

Maljonic

Originally posted by Super_Gray[SG]
hmm, thats a strange one.

That's what the guy in the shop said:) Yes I have tried the other port, same problem. A couple of my mates have the same modem so, when I can be arsed, I'll go round to their house and try my modem on their machine to see if the same thing happens; then I'll know it's fooked and can demand a replacement from BT.

Another strange thing about it is it doesn't affect the sound in games and high-quality divx films only certain sound files and windows sounds, I think somehow that imperfections in sound are being amplified.

As for my hardware, I've checked all their websites for anything about interference etc caused by dsl modems but found nothing.

AMD 1000mghz
Nvidia GeForce 2 32megs
Soundblaster Live surround
256megs 133 memory
Jetway something or other mainboard.
Windows XP, but it did the same thing on ME

S

S-Gray

Well its either the Modem, or Soundcard..

I have heard the Modem can cause interference between the Phone and modem (Like a Buzzing Echo noise)..

But ive never heard that the modem causes problems with Soundcards...

E

Embattle

TBH changing it may do nothing since there is a chance its just having a problem with your hardware setup.

S

S-Gray

What about Microfilters on your Phone Socket?

I think its that after lookin around the net.

Change it and test it

S

Summo

You might want to try putting your sound card into a different PCI slot and/or changing the system BIOS to manually assign a free IRQ for use by USB.

Sounds like classic IRQ conflict between your sound card and USB to me.

M

Maljonic

So far I've tried changing the filter on the socket and fiddling with irq settings with no change. I have noticed that the interference only occurs after I go on line, i.e. when my modem is actively doing something. It's a bit like it is causing a power drain which is affecting the sound but that can't be it, my psu is 300watts and I have no other usb devices.

S

Summo

Surely that's for a standard analogue modem? There'll be no sound interference on an ADSL modem.

IRQ conflict, I betcha. Did you manually assign an IRQ for USB to use?

M

Maljonic

oh, and I tried downloading that thingy as well but it makes no difference.

S

Scooba Da Bass

My solution, which isn't helpful, is get a better sound card.

M

Maljonic

there's nothing wrong with my sound card, tis me modem I tells ya;)

P

Perplex

VIA chipset...BWAHAHAHAA...and you wonder why you have USB problems

M

Maljonic

this is turning into a dissing mal's hardware thread:) Why don't you have a go at my Relisys monitor too;)

P

Perplex

If you scrimp on CPU/Chipset, you end up paying for it later </amd+via rant>

M

Maljonic

but I've never had any problems with my hardware setup untill now.

S

Summo

Live in the now, Perp! The AMD/VIA grudge is so three years ago.

M

Maljonic

I went to my local PC design shop and the guy there told me it's my Sounblaster Live card's fault. He said they are terrible for using up bandwidth which would cause my problem. I can't find a patch to cure it so I may need another sound card; though there is nothing wrong with via:p

S

Scooba Da Bass

Like I said way back, Creative are shit, get a decent soundcard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom