ADSL Max

Furr

Can't get enough of FH
Seeing that ADSL Max was rolled out over most of the country yesterday, and being that im only 850 metres from the local exchange im hoping that my isp will quickly upgrade my account like I asked, hopefully at this distance i'll get near to the full 8 meg line.

Anyone else's connection gotten faster from the upgrade?

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Is there a rule-of-thumb calculation that tells you what you should expect dependant on distance? I'm supposed to have 8Mb with UK online, but I rarely get more than 4Mb (1.19Km from exchange in a straight line).

Will

/bin/su
Distance From Exchange

Dial the line test number 17070. Then press option 3 (fast test) then press option 1 (to say you are authorised, don't worry about 'not being officially authorised'). The press option 2 (Traditional Fast Test) then finally press 2 for Ring Back Line Test. Then put the phone down.

You will get called back by the test facility within about 30 seconds, one of the bits of information given will be distance from exchange (in kilometres).

Please note though, not ALL exchange test systems have this information. Most do, however some dont, and if youre unlucky to fall to the latter, then you'll have to rely on theaa.com to give you a "rough guide" via point to point postcode search.

NEXT, you want to visit ADSL Max Line Calculator

You need your Downstream Attenuation and SnR data (signal to noise ratio/noise margn). Slap these bits of data (measured in Db's) into the webpage above, along with your current line speed (512k, 1152 or 2272 ONLY for 512k (duh) 1meg and 2meg respectively), and as if by magic, it will give you a fairly close "prediction" of what your line is capable of.

Do not ask me how to work out your Attenuation or Signal to Noise ratio, I have no idea how to do it on ADSL. It will hopefully be hidden somewhere in your ADSL modem menus.

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
You guys live miles from the exchange!

"You are approximately 81 metres from the exchange (straight line distance)."

Although even with that the BT thing says we can expect 6.5MBit.

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
Standard ADSL RAG results:
You can receive 2Mbps ADSL
You can receive 1Mbps ADSL
You can receive 512Kbps ADSL
You can receive 256Kbps ADSL

You are approximately 592 metres from the exchange (straight line distance).

bastards

Baldanah

Fledgling Freddie
bah 2.71km from the exchange :/

heres hoping i can get an upgrade to my 1mb line anyway

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
You are approximately 849 metres from the exchange (straight line distance). =D

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
1k exactly from the exchange here, best I can expect is 5mb.

Vae

Resident Freddy
You are approximately 149 metres from the exchange (straight line distance).

6.5 Mbps expected here :)

Athan

Resident Freddy
You cannot receive 2Mbps ADSL
You may be able to receive 1Mbps ADSL

You are approximately 1.47km from the exchange (straight line distance).

The strange thing being that we've been on 1Mbps ADSL ever since moving in here, a little over a year ago, and it next to never has any problems (and when it does it seems to be the exchange having ATM problems, not a problem with the ADSL sync'ing itself). And I highly doubt our actual line distance is anything like that straight-line distance.

Of course that other site where you put in current line speed, Attenuation and SNR Margin thinks we're ok right up to 8Mbps (41.8dB Attentuation, and SNR Margin fluctatues from 33.9dB up to 35.7dB, I have to put in 27dB or lower to have it say a figure lower than 8Mbps). This would imply we have a nice clean line I guess.

-Ath

Dweller

Fledgling Freddie
According to BT Wholesale, your line should be able to support a 4Mbps or greater ADSL connection via ADSL Max.

You cannot receive 2Mbps ADSL
You may be able to receive 1Mbps ADSL

You are approximately 2.44km from the exchange (straight line distance).

Not sure how entirely accurate this is, seeing as I've been on 2mb for the last 18 months.

Lester

One of Freddy's beloved
I've just converted from a 1Mb fixed line service (actually measured at 930kbps down/240kbps up average) to ADSL max. About 1km from the exchange, I now receive 350kbps down/300kbps up.

:/

So be careful what you wish for.....

Athan

Resident Freddy
Lester said:
I've just converted from a 1Mb fixed line service (actually measured at 930kbps down/240kbps up average) to ADSL max. About 1km from the exchange, I now receive 350kbps down/300kbps up
Sounds like you have an UTTERLY wank line, either due to it going walkabout all over the place between exchange and your place, and/or bad connection(s) somewhere along it. Definitely time to get BT have engineers investigate.

-Ath

Furr

Can't get enough of FH
takes about 14 days for the speed to get right, due to the kit in the exchange tuning to your lines specific requirements...

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
I can get LLU at my exchange, what does this mean and who supplies it?

I am with Ace at the minute and it isn't too clever due to them throttling p2p in office hours to cope with the world cup match streaming by the BBC(apparently).

I am thinking an LLU wll improve matters, will it?

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
LLU is just local loop unbundling. Basically until they introduce LLU all ADSL etc. went through BT. With LLU an ISP or other provider can place their hardware directly into a BT exchange.

Bulldog, Be, and a few other ISPs have used LLU and therefore have their own hardware. If you have a problem with the ISP changing to an LLU'd ISP may help, but it'd probably be a sideeffect of changing ISP.

Basically, if you have a problem at BTs side of the network, they you'll want an unbundled ISP, otherwise if it's just your ISP being annoying then changing to any other ISP would do.

Athan

Resident Freddy
And of course be aware that even with LLU you're still at the mercy of BT fucking up, not only because your line still terminates in their exchange, but because the 'backhaul' network from the exchange to the ISP will still almost certainly go through BT (due to the leased line, fibre, whatever being operated by them).

And just because your exchange has LLU doesn't mean any particular given LLU ISP will offer service there.

-Ath

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Ace uses Mistral whatever that means, I think it means they don't use BT.

Sar

Part of the furniture
Well mine started off as a lovely 3mb connection, but has since slowed down it seems permanently to a 2mb connex. Still good though, as my previous max attainable on normal ADSL is 1mb.

:)

Still a **** though, as I know it can sustain 3mb :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom