ADSL and wi-fi noob reporting in with questions

Xtro

One of Freddy's beloved
lo guys.

Forgive me for being a fknut (hell you've prob known that for ages) but I have some probably very stupid noob questions about trying to set up ADSL/wi-fi in the house.

The gf and I have a got a new house, I've had ADSL installed (Bulldog) and bought a Netgear DG834G Wireless ADSL Modem/Router.

I am a complete n00blet re: ADSL as I've previously had cable so forgive some dumb questions sorry.

I've got the ADSL up and running fine, the router is working ok and currently connected to my desktop using Ethernet cable and card. BUT this means the comp is in the living room and driving the gf mad.

I'd like to have the PC upstairs in a spare bedroom, and bought a Netgear WG111T - USB Wireless Adapter, to do this.

First noob question - do I have to have a host PC (ie. this one) plugged in via ethernet before I can have any other machine on the network? (like I had to with cable).

Second noob question - following on from above does this mean I cant have my desktop PC upstairs with a wireless adapter and just have the router standing on its own?

Third noob question - seems the neighbours have wi-fi too, as we pick up their network. Theirs isnt secured (I have secured ours though), is this going to cause interference and probs with our network? Competing etc.

My last prob is when trying to use the adapter I constanly get "This connection has limited or no connectivity". Ive managed to find a guide to hopefully sort me out here.

I think I will have to do the following - piss about with settings on desktop re: the ltd connectivity problem, somehow block the neighbours wi-fi and finally bash my head against a wall.

Thanks in advance :eek:

Gat_Decor

Fledgling Freddie
Couple of Quick answers off the top of my head, only dabbled at wireless networking a bit:-

If it's a wireless ADSL Router you should just be able to connect to the router 'Wirelessly' for any other PC/laptop get another wireless adapter

Change the 'channel' of the Wireless AP (Access Point) also you could connect to it using a 'key' rtfm ;)

smurkin

Can't get enough of FH
I have that router, but I went for a pci wireless card - usb is probably inferior.

First noob question - do I have to have a host PC (ie. this one) plugged in via ethernet before I can have any other machine on the network? (like I had to with cable).
No. The router initiates & maintains a connection even if there is no computer in the house.
Second noob question - following on from above does this mean I cant have my desktop PC upstairs with a wireless adapter and just have the router standing on its own?
Standing on its own is as it should be :)
Third noob question - seems the neighbours have wi-fi too, as we pick up their network. Theirs isnt secured (I have secured ours though), is this going to cause interference and probs with our network? Competing etc.
No problemo - the router should automatically change channel, if not you can do it yourself.
My last prob is when trying to use the adapter I constanly get "This connection has limited or no connectivity". Ive managed to find a guide to hopefully sort me out here.

So...the pc you want to wireless works fine with the internet using the networking cable? but not the USB interface?

Could be interference - you can get a strong signal that wont move data around. Its more likely to be a wireless sender (EG for tv) than your neighbours network.

First, try connecting to your neighbour's network and using his internet connection (you dont need to tell him :) switch your router off) - if that works, its not the usb thingy or your pc. Its your router.

Second, fully disable your security. Try the wireless connection in the same room as the router. Where does that get you? Can you connect to the router through the browser?

I'd bet the problem is with the usb thingy...sometimes they work sometimes, not. I would also try disabling your network card in your pc (disable in hardware profile or take it out) - its quite likely the usb and nic will clash. Personally, I'd go for a wireless card rather than a usb.

Xtro

One of Freddy's beloved
Mornin, and ta for the replies (even you Gat :p :))

Gat - I had already put a key on (yeah I read the manual!). I changed the channel of the router late yesterday, ta.

Smurkin - big thanks for the post mate. Id been told PCI>USB but unfortunately couldnt get my hands on a PCI card round here, and didnt wait $.

Anyways "So...the pc you want to wireless works fine with the internet using the networking cable?" - yes it works fine wired up to the router.

I will try to connect to the neigbours wi-fi, but...I have just disabled security and the mrs has connected to my router straight away no prob, so obviously I gimped something up with the keys etc.

I'll try connecting to next door, and test the USB adapater again and post back - cheers :).

Xtro

One of Freddy's beloved
Ive downloaded the latest software for the USB adapter from the Netgear site and installed patches for Win XP Serial Pack 2 (found something that said to do so)...and anyway Im now connected to the neighbours wi-fi using the adapter, which I couldnt do before :)

So the adapter does work, now I just need to connect to MY fkin network ;).

/edit - which it does! hurray! :D Connected wirelessly to my router, thanks a lot :)

nath

Fledgling Freddie
For future reference - "Limited or no connectivity" is an IP address problem - either it's not receiving an IP from the DHCP server (in this case the netgear router) or you've not set it to pick one up. I've seen this happen quite a few times and you can almost always just set the address manually to overcome it.

Anyhoo, glad you got it sorted.

smurkin

Can't get enough of FH
aye, IP problem, true. This router can be VERY buggy. Historically, it has had an internal capacitor for handling the power that has a tendency to blow. The router can then overheat and reset every 10 secs or so and return the no connectivity error intermittantly (the symptoms vary depending on the firmware). The no connectivity can also be produced by a corrupt winsock. I also had it with incorrectly installed MFC (netgear NIC) software. I think that if you bought the router recently, the hardware fault should have been ironed out, but if it starts been buggy, its worth bearing in mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom