Adsl 24mb line on an 8mb exchange

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
So ADSL24 are upgrading all of their packages to 24mb soon the problem is my exchange still only supports 8mb adsl, i'd be getting the upgraded version of my existing line (8mb office) to 24mb office.

I know I won't get full 24mb speeds although the ADSl24 guy I was talking to said i'd most likely get the upload speed from the 24mb line (which would be 1.5mb/s roughly 150-200kb/s or so) he also said I might see an increase in the download speed it just wouldn't go above 8mb/s.

So in hindsight I get

730kb/s dl (comes up at about 6.3 mb/s via speed tests)
85kb/s ul (about 650ish via speed tests)

If what he's saying is true it could go upto like

900kb/s-1mb/s (8000 max via speed tests)
150-200kb/s (unknown via speed tests)

That sound right? sounds iffy to me so I looked around and asked on adsl24 forums and people reckons it will be about right i'd just not get the full 24mb until my exchange is upgraded.

Sar

Part of the furniture
I doubt your speed will increase at all tbh. Unless the h/w in the exchange is changed I'd think your speed would remain as is. It's just their packages changing, not your line.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
I'm with Aquiss, another Entanet partner like ADSL24, and they're doing exactly the same thing getting everyone to choose their new package from 1st April 2009.

It's to make administration at the ISP easier.
Instead of having 2 separate product portfolios for ADSL Max and ADSL2+, they just put everyone onto IPSC with the 24Mbps ADSL2+ profile. The difference is at the customer's end of the line. You're still on the "old" system at your exchange. You need to see when your exchange becomes WBC enabled as that means you can convert up to ADSL2+ at that time.

For example, my exchange is a Market 1 site that has a WBC enabling date of 31 Mar 2010 (courtesy of Samknows Broadband - Comprehensive Broadband Information ). Once your exchange is WBC enabled, you *should* be able to get access to ADSL2+ products from any ISP that supports it.

Of course you could see if you're in one of the exchanges that are having fibre to the cabinet laid. The list is here...
BT names first 29 exchanges for fibre rollout ? The Register
Fibre to the cabinet (FTTC) means that you only have copper wire from your house to the green cabinet at the end of your street. Typical speeds are given as about 40Mbps. :)

Sar

Part of the furniture
Aye, for the moment I'm still with UKFSN, and have received all the info about their changing packages.

I've put in a migration to Be which should take a few weeks.

I'll get hit for two bills (UKFSN's and Be's), but I don't particularly mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom