Adding New HD

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
I've got a 40gb HD, I was wondering if I say added a 60gb or 120gb drive in the second slot, it should install without any problems and does it matter if the HD run at different rpm speeds.

Can anyone give me advice on the best way to install a new HD?

Thanks

xane

Fledgling Freddie
Just plug it in :)

Oh and make sure the jumpers are correct;

(a) The new disk needs to be set to "slave".
(b) The old disk may have a separate "master+slave" setting, as opposed to a "single disk" setting, if so then use it.

No problem with different RPM, ATA, capacities, etc.

If you are using Windows XP then it has all the FDISK, partitioning and formatting software built in, look under Administration.

sibanac

Fledgling Freddie
PLightstar said:
I've got a 40gb HD, I was wondering if I say added a 60gb or 120gb drive in the second slot, it should install without any problems and does it matter if the HD run at different rpm speeds.

Can anyone give me advice on the best way to install a new HD?

Thanks

Speeds and size doent matter.
If you want to add one, just make sure the jumpers on the back are set to slave and plug it in. Then just partition and format it as you wish.

Ofcourse if your new hd is faster then your old. It does make sense to reinstall your system on the new one. In that case you must set the new one his jumpers to Master and switch the old one to slave

fatbusinessman

Fledgling Freddie
May be stating the obvious, but with both SATA (Serial ATA) and PATA (Parallel ATA) drives on the market, it's worth double-checking that you're getting the right one. Or, if your system supports both, it's worth looking into which one you want to get.

Dubbs

Fledgling Freddie
Hang on.

Are you talking about the second IDE slot on the motherboard or the second connector on the cable? Most motherboards have 2 IDE channels in which case it will be master on it's own channel. If it's going on the same cable as the first HD then it'll need to be the "slave" with the original disk as the "master".

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom