Addicted? I was...

Xoxarle

Fledgling Freddie
Hey folks, its been a long long time since I posted here, and an even longer time since I played daoc.

It seems prudent to start at the start. I realise that 99% of people who stil look at these forums will slag me offto the limits of their somewhat limited ability. I don't care, I don't look here anymore, so it doesn't matter to me.

Basically, here's my story.

At the very start (Even I can't remember the date). I went to a real life friends house, and watched him playing daoc. This was in the beta times, his name was DtM, he played a smite cleric at the time and guided me in everything I did (On his character). I was not particularly bothered about the game, but I kept trying it, and gradually got "hooked".

Si made my own 'beta' account. I started a cleric (Emulating my friend), and got killed a lot, mostly by the "CC!!!!!" (In those days, the champion commander ruled all).

Hooked, I mentioned previously, well, although I might not have been then, I certainly was after making my own account. I achieved the almighty level of 14 during the beta stages, my name was Rawkeer.

Daoc version 1 was released in europe, and I was determined I was going to be the best, no matter what it took. I was (this is an approximation, because I can't remember) at the time, 16 years old.

That was the start (and possibly the end, I was, completely hooked (addicted if you prefer)).

Within 4 days of the released version of Daoc, I was the second (I believe, if not, highest level) cleric in the game. I reached level 31. Where I was banned for "speedhacking", (Regardless that i'd reported the fact to RightNow).

Shit, what could I do? By this time I was already skiving college to play daoc, so I eventually took over my brothers daoc account (He got a g/f, and a real life). A minstrel by the name of Xphyral.

I went through various guilds, alliances, and positions within them both. Nothing ever satisfied my 'need' to be the best. I kept pushing myself, and everyong I knew (In game and out of) to start or to play better. I couldn't help it. My brother eventually wanted his account back, and so rather thaqn level my own, I bought a paladin named 'Chipper'. But still I achieved nothing more, except a dissatisfaction that I couldn't win all the time.

(I'm gonna post this now, and continue the story straight away)

Xoxarle

Fledgling Freddie
I won't bore you with the details, but to put it simply, my life as a paladin was far from satisfactory. I'd withdrawn almost completely from my 'normal' life. My prime concern in any situation was how I was performing as a player, and even that wasn't good enough, because I wasn't one of the 'elite'. Regardless of how I neglected my responsibilties of 'real life', I still wasn't good enough for the very best of the game. Possibly my sheer genetic makeup was not optimised for mmo's, but who knows? Basically, I wasn't (and never would or will be) good enough to be the 'best' at online, massively multiplayer roleplaying games.

Don't take this the wrong way, i'm not a complete weirdo, I am not the only one to be affected by games like this (Various people I knew both online and offline were affected in similar ways).

So, anyway, I continued to spend 14 (at least) hours a day playing a game, and what did it get me? Fuck all, I was respected (I like to think) in-game as a decent player. But even that may have been a misconception.

I was (and possibly still am) addicted to online massively multiplayer roleplaying games. It has (I feel) reduced my ability to deal with real life situations. It has made new social situations nigh-on impossible to comprehend and deal with.

I struggle daily with the realization that online gaming has muffled my ability to deal with real, day-to-day, situations. I think back now, and wish I had never started the game. Situations are irreversible though, and every day I must now go through hardships that I shouldn't have to, due to my pure addiction to playing, socializing and interacting to a false medium.

Slag me off if you like, or agree with me if you're that self-honest. I really hope that every one of you comes to terms with their life like have had to.

(On a final, and happy note, I am now not playing any mmorpgs, I am at university studying (and about the finish) psychiatric nursing, and I hope every one of you comes to term with 'real life' like I have had to). Read this:

http://uk.gamespot.com/gamespot/features/all/gamespotting/071103minusworld/1.html

IU know many will have read it before, but whatever. Read it again, read my posts, and if even one person here decides that online gaming has affected them like it has me, then I consider these two posts an achievement.

Goodbye folks,
i'll play another game like this, and certainly not pay for my own social destruction. G'night.

Fiver

Fledgling Freddie
Really wonder how ppl can be that addicted to a game..I used to play alot,but then it was about to get too much i just took a break from the game and now i play when ever i got time for it and not are busy with real life :)

Punishment

Resident Freddy
Some people are more likely to get dragged into it the way u did than others :D

Its a persons common sense that defines where Ingame begins and ends and why it should end at a point ...

Also after 4h or so playing daoc alot of people will just become bored and go do something else :touch:

Glad to see u got it together though meight ;) ... Dont let it ruin all games for u ... it prolly just caught u at a vulnerable age :)

Punishment

Resident Freddy
Fiver said:
Really wonder how ppl can be that addicted to a game..I used to play alot,but then it was about to get too much i just took a break from the game and now i play when ever i got time for it and not are busy with real life :)

True ... but on that note i often wonder how people can get addicted to snorting coke / Popping pills when they dunno what its doing to their bodies ... atleast this is something relatively harmless and he got his head together :D

Xoxarle

Fledgling Freddie
Fiver said:

I contratulate you on that. You have far more self control than I did (At the time). Keeping my gaming world seperate from my real world was almost impossible, every person I associated with played the game as I did (Ad some, even today, still do).

I'm addicted to smoking, but I would hazard a guess that smoking would be far more easy to give up than my association with mmo's. I'm addicted, and probably always will be.

This is the reason I played numerous mmo's during and after I quit daoc, and I am now determined not to even start warhammer online (As much as I know it would fill a space in my life). Because I know now that I could not play without becoming obsessional about the game.

Look to yourselves. What has gaming ever gained for you? Really. Anything? Other than the respect of other addicts?

Is it a fun thing for you when you have nothing better to do? Or is it a thing you do because you'd rather not do anything else?

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
ooo my acct still active :D

chipper here =) duh huh

agree with everything you said m8 cant remember last time i posted here when i quit daoc i disassociated any website to do with it deleted any acct info and threw away all my discs because the game affected me THAT much

i gave up my life for daoc and i class it as the single biggest mistake of my life everything suffered hygiene, social skills, broke up from my GF had no ambition no future, no drive i just wanted to play this damn game. DAOC became my real life.

what did i get out of it? looking back very little i think i lost hte fun in the game relatively early it just became a job to me item farming pvping alt lvling etc
i did make some great friends who are now long time Real life friends but i dont think this ever justifies the state i got myself into

im still suffering from my addiction to gaming im not too good at meetin new ppl im overly oppinionated i talk before i think

im not gonna say you must quit daoc or u must never play another game again cos thats notthe issue

games are there for fun when it stops been fun you really need to ask yourself why your still playing the game

it takes alot of courage to admit your addicted to a game especially in a world where there is no support to help us get out of this predicament

it takes alot more courage to do something about it i know many many ppl have and ever since there lives have become much better and a hell of alot more stable

just remember guys everything in moderation.

Xoxarle

Fledgling Freddie
Punishment said:
True ... but on that note i often wonder how people can get addicted to snorting coke / Popping pills when they dunno what its doing to their bodies ... atleast this is something relatively harmless and he got his head together :D

Its anot al that different, I assure you. Anybody (And I mean ANYBODY), can be addicted to something.

That could be heroin, cocain, dope, chocolate, smoking, cola. It doesn't matter. When you depend on something not only to get you out of situations but to relieve you of stress, you have a problem. It doesn't matter what it is, gaming was my flaw, and I regret it to this day, but it could be yours, or anyone else's. I just hope that it hasn't affected anyone like it has me, truly. Good luck to you all.

Punishment

Resident Freddy
Xoxarle said:
Look to yourselves. What has gaming ever gained for you? Really. Anything? Other than the respect of other addicts?
Is it a fun thing for you when you have nothing better to do? Or is it a thing you do because you'd rather not do anything else?

Well what does watching Corrie do for anyone or in general going to the cinema , getting pissed , paying someone to put u in a booth to get skin cancer or whatever your thing is :D

Its just another form of recreation ... its not a horrible demon to be feared ... its alot more social than most things ... and there is no danger of fucking up your liver and whatnot ... im not defending mmo's because im afraid someone will take my Fix away as something else would just slide in and fill the gap ... its just part of my normal everyday life :m00:

Xoxarle

Fledgling Freddie
Punishment said:
Well what does watching Corrie do for anyone or in general going to the cinema , getting pissed , paying someone to put u in a booth to get skin cancer or whatever your thing is :D

Its just another form of recreation ... its not a horrible demon to be feared ... its alot more social than most things ... and there is no danger of fucking up your liver and whatnot ... im not defending mmo's because im afraid someone will take my Fix away as something else would just slide in and fill the gap ... its just part of my normal everyday life :m00:

Thats the first hook though i'm afraid mate (And I certainly don't think this is the same for everyone). It appears more social, because you interact with all sorts of people. But in truth, its a false interaction. You wouldn't (And in some cases simply *couldn't*) say or do what you say and do online. The majority of people are able to control their attraction to online stimulation, I wasn't, and I know i'm not the only one. I post here now (and only for tonight), in the hopes of benefiting just one person to make it all worthwhile. Clearly you yourself has the self-control that I never did at a young (And as far as i'm concerned, vulnerable) age. People should be warned about the addictive, and disabling effects of having a complete life seperate to what is 'real' (Like I did).

Punishment

Resident Freddy
Xoxarle said:
Its anot al that different, I assure you. Anybody (And I mean ANYBODY), can be addicted to something.

That could be heroin, cocain, dope, chocolate, smoking, cola. It doesn't matter. When you depend on something not only to get you out of situations but to relieve you of stress, you have a problem. It doesn't matter what it is, gaming was my flaw, and I regret it to this day, but it could be yours, or anyone else's. I just hope that it hasn't affected anyone like it has me, truly. Good luck to you all.

I gave up smoking a month ago ... no patches or gum and didnt look back except for a relapse when i had 1 cig a week after i quit ... but it disgusted me so much that i swore id never make the same mistake again ... and ive been smoking 20 or so a day for 9 years :D

Sometimes its true ... u do need to take a step back to appreciate things fully and maybe spot a problem .

But the problem is not with the company that makes the game or manufactures the cigarette etc ... its with the customer ... u create a demand for birdshit on a stick as an ornament and u will have companies flocking to make them :)

For me its simply a case of watching shit evening tv soaps of playing daoc for afew hours ... people with lifelong jobs/mortgages/commitments/loans/mouths to feed dont have the luxury of getting sucked in and i hope to be in the position of having all those things someday so im not gonna let a thing i enjoy become an issue that even bears consideration beyond a passtime :D

Xoxarle

Fledgling Freddie
Punishment said:
I gave up smoking a month ago ... no patches or gum and didnt look back except for a relapse when i had 1 cig a week after i quit ... but it disgusted me so much that i swore id never make the same mistake again ... and ive been smoking 20 or so a day for 9 years :D

Sometimes its true ... u do need to take a step back to appreciate things fully and maybe spot a problem .

But the problem is not with the company that makes the game or manufactures the cigarette etc ... its with the customer ... u create a demand for birdshit on a stick as an ornament and u will have companies flocking to make them :)

For me its simply a case of watching shit evening tv soaps of playing daoc for afew hours ... people with lifelong jobs/mortgages/commitments/loans/mouths to feed dont have the luxury of getting sucked in and i hope to be in the position of having all those things someday so im not gonna let a thing i enjoy become an issue that even bears consideration beyond a passtime :D

You are a great example to me (and probably others as well). You have done what I never could, which is seperate your 'real' life from your gaming (or 'interactive') life. Like I stated previously, I sincerely hope that if just one person recognises in themselves how I felt before I wrote what I just wrote, and changes, then my post won't have been in vain. I sincerely encourage you to encourage them to be like you (have self-control enough to stem to the tide of addiction) or like me (With the insight to recognise addiction).

Naffets

Can't get enough of FH
For 3 or more years I was addicted

Me and a friend found out about euro beta, downloaded the client and both started playing

We both got to level 20 or so in beta before the game went gold, both pre ordered and started playing at the same time. I remember at the time i had an amd 600, geforce 2 ultra and 768mb of sdram :D

I played until level 50 or so, had a fucking amazing time at malmo (hi gamah) and then I pretty much started moving from char to char out of boredom. (selling, trading etc)

I never once got bitten for trading, never once had any issues. I sold up not long after SI. Took about a years break and then started the game again quite some time after toa release, Then I was playing solidly up until about 6 months ago.

The game is truely addictive, Glad I've left it behind now though. Learnt quite a bit from the game and made some really good friends though, had some amazing laughs aswell (hi cozak / Dallas)

Many many people are or have been addicted to the game. Thats my story anyhow (Thought id chip in, and thats just the short version) I'm sure loads more will get posted :)

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
Punishment said:

thats the point tho m8 we are talking about the young and vulnerable i do play wow but i maybe get 10 hours a week on it i really do only go on it if i have nothing better to do yet i do know there are 14-16 year old who skip school/college just to play wow i know 1 person who has quit his job and dumped his girlfriend just so he can reach grand marshal

those of us who DO have a life find it hard to get sucked in (again) as we dont get the time to play and frankly we just arent as gullable anymore

young adults dont have that luxury mmo's demand more and more of our time to progress in the game and its sickening that developers exploit this wow is a major example of this where u need to spend upwards of 16 hours a DAY pvping to get the top rank its irresponsible and imo the MMO gaming part of the industry really does need to be monitored and gaming addiciotn really does need to be recognised as a psychological infliction because its real and its becoming ever more common.

Punishment

Resident Freddy
chipper said:
thats the point tho m8 we are talking about the young and vulnerable i do play wow but i maybe get 10 hours a week on it i really do only go on it if i have nothing better to do yet i do know there are 14-16 year old who skip school/college just to play wow i know 1 person who has quit his job and dumped his girlfriend just so he can reach grand marshal

Yea ... normally on a friday when im working with my uncle all week plastering i will go into a net cafe for the better part of the day and there is always 1-2 people of this age hanging around skipping school ... which is majorly fucked up ... but who am i to tell them what to do ... then again they are just kids :eek7:

And yes WoW if majorly fucked up and alot more addiction prone than daoc imo :twak:

living

Fledgling Freddie
agree, but i dont regreat playing.

I was hooked entirely when this game came out in the beta stage.. heck even when I diden't get the game right away after release (2 days late on shipping) i was really depressed.. Really sad when looking back on it, but it was my first mmorpg and i was completely hooked after day 1..

I lost a lot playing, biggest loss was probably my girlfriend at the time, she finally quitted on me after 2 years of gaming DAOC and even that dident really get me off it.. It eventually came with the age though.. im 21 today and dont really play much more than a few hours now.. I started doing more work on my school which by now is VERY much needed, pretty much neglected every homework i had..

However, one of my very best friends today I can tank DAOC for, would probably never have created that kind of relationship with him if it wasent for the countless hours we spent playing mid-nights on schooldays :).. man that was a lot of fun.. And even tho we both quitted DAOC and reduced playing to 1-2 hours a day we still spend a lot of time togeather..
This game hurt him as much as it did me im sure, but I don't think any of us regreats starting playing, and i still look back at my time in DAOC with a smile and some great memories that I probably will remember for the rest of my life.
All thanks to Rjendug :)

Now im really wasted and that bed is just begging for me to lie down in it :p

Fiver

Fledgling Freddie
Xoxarle said:

1. I never wanted respect from other players,its a video game...

2. I play when i have nothing else to do,not because i DONT want do anything else :)

Xoxarle

Fledgling Freddie
living said:
I was hooked entirely when this game came out in the beta stage.. heck even when I diden't get the game right away after release (2 days late on shipping) i was really depressed.. Really sad when looking back on it, but it was my first mmorpg and i was completely hooked after day 1..

I lost a lot playing, biggest loss was probably my girlfriend at the time, she finally quitted on me after 2 years of gaming DAOC and even that dident really get me off it.. It eventually came with the age though.. im 21 today and dont really play much more than a few hours now.. I started doing more work on my school which by now is VERY much needed, pretty much neglected every homework i had..

However, one of my very best friends today I can tank DAOC for, would probably never have created that kind of relationship with him if it wasent for the countless hours we spent playing mid-nights on schooldays :).. man that was a lot of fun.. And even tho we both quitted DAOC and reduced playing to 1-2 hours a day we still spend a lot of time togeather..
This game hurt him as much as it did me im sure, but I don't think any of us regreats starting playing, and i still look back at my time in DAOC with a smile and some great memories that I probably will remember for the rest of my life.
All thanks to Rjendug :)

Now im really wasted and that bed is just begging for me to lie down in it :p

A good experience of daoc is good to contrast with my (mostly) negative view of mmo's in general. I'm really just trying to alert people to the fact they may have a very rea; addiction that they don't even recognise so far.

Shit, I just want to challenge everybody on this forum wht they do when they are not posting or playing, or what they could be doing instead of posting or playing, I'm not sure if I mentioned before, but part of my 'new' real life is that i'm studying to be a psychiatric nurse, which gives me the insight into addictions that I never had before. And please, if you recognise anything within yourselves that I have already posted about, quit now, before the game has you, like it did me.

Don't take this as a pisstake, gaming addiction (Although not currently internationally recognised), is soon to become a very real problem among every psychiatric service. Please don't ever be part of those that I am treating as routine.

It could be you.

- English -

Resident Freddy
even though ive wasted alotof time in daoc it has matured me by meeting people and learning form them

Punishment

Resident Freddy
Xoxarle said:
A good experience of daoc is good to contrast with my (mostly) negative view of mmo's in general. I'm really just trying to alert people to the fact they may have a very rea; addiction that they don't even recognise so far.

Shit, I just want to challenge everybody on this forum wht they do when they are not posting or playing, or what they could be doing instead of posting or playing, I'm not sure if I mentioned before, but part of my 'new' real life is that i'm studying to be a psychiatric nurse, which gives me the insight into addictions that I never had before. And please, if you recognise anything within yourselves that I have already posted about, quit now, before the game has you, like it did me.

Don't take this as a pisstake, gaming addiction (Although not currently internationally recognised), is soon to become a very real problem among every psychiatric service. Please don't ever be part of those that I am treating as routine.

It could be you.

I can respect what u are trying to do and if it helps even 1 person with the same psycological makeup as what you had when u became 'Hooked' then fair dues ... But Challenging people as to why they play mmo's comes across as abit much ... try standing outside any Pub/Nightclub and challenging someone to explain to you why they felt they needed to spend 100E+ on Booze and see the response you will get :D

There is a fine line between making your case and forcing it on others ... whan u cross that line no-one will take what you say ... (regardless of its merit) seriously :)

Xoxarle

Fledgling Freddie
Punishment said:
I can respect what u are trying to do and if it helps even 1 person with the same psycological makeup as what you had when u became 'Hooked' then fair dues ... But Challenging people as to why they play mmo's comes across as abit much ... try standing outside any Pub/Nightclub and challenging someone to explain to you why they felt they needed to spend 100E+ on Booze and see the response you will get :D

There is a fine line between making your case and forcing it on others ... whan u cross that line no-one will take what you say ... (regardless of its merit) seriously :)

Point taken. Really.

I apologise if my post comes across as a tactic to impose my personal views on anyone else, that really wasn't wha I was trying to do here. I am, sincerely apologitic if any of my posts here came across that way. I would be doing more dmage than good here if I tried to impose person opinions on people with their own view on what they do. Rather, I am trying to provide a source of support for those with an admitted addiction to online gaming. I urge anyone who recognises any of the symptoms that I have described applying to themselves to contact me as a source of unconditional positive support.

Again, my sincere apologies if this has all come across as a sermon on the way you should behave. It truly wasn't meant that way, only as a way for those with tne same problem that I have suffered to talk to people in the same situation. Sorry folks.

Punishment

Resident Freddy
Xoxarle said:
Point taken. Really.

I apologise if my post comes across as a tactic to impose my personal views on anyone else, that really wasn't wha I was trying to do here. I am, sincerely apologitic if any of my posts here came across that way. I would be doing more dmage than good here if I tried to impose person opinions on people with their own view on what they do. Rather, I am trying to provide a source of support for those with an admitted addiction to online gaming. I urge anyone who recognises any of the symptoms that I have described applying to themselves to contact me as a source of unconditional positive support.

Again, my sincere apologies if this has all come across as a sermon on the way you should behave. It truly wasn't meant that way, only as a way for those with tne same problem that I have suffered to talk to people in the same situation. Sorry folks.

I 100% respect that ... maybe leave your msn/e-mail addy here and ask an admin to Sticky this ... then there is always somewhere to go for someone in the position you found yourself in :D

kiliarien

Part of the furniture
Very nice of people to share their opinions (good or bad) on the facets of the game that affect real life - hats off to you sirs :worthy:

Everz

FH is my second home
cant say i spent half my gametime in daoc.. i mostly was alt + tap on msn/fh or VN when i played US.. still managed 7 50's tho :twak:

Arumos

Fledgling Freddie
Online gaming is an addiction. but in the modern day with the drinking/drugs culture its the lesser of several evils...

Mauness

Can't get enough of FH
its ruined my life tbh :).

started playing at age of 15-16 i think, remember rushing home to log on and play etc.

It was fun at first, then it became like a job (like others mentioned) trying to level a new alt quickly, get so and so item etc etc.

then i reached 18, went out drinking wednesday/thursday/friday, after year or 2 that changed where i stopped going out at all, as i made plans to kill a dragon etc etc.

camelot is addictive, and if i could change my past, id of left it alone. Although it's given me alot of laughs etc, it really isnt healthy to sit in front of a computer for hours unpon end playing :)

now ive matured ive cut down my playing time, and learning from my mistakes i suspect this may be my last mmo.

as a side note, i did give up smoking after starting from a stupidly early age (9yrs old :( ) and im feeling alot better health wise from it, 2yrs thie christmas :) \o/

Elitestoner

Can't get enough of FH
Arumos said:
Online gaming is an addiction. but in the modern day with the drinking/drugs culture its the lesser of several evils...

although i guess thats just a matter of perspective ;p

Xoxarle

Fledgling Freddie
Punishment said:
I 100% respect that ... maybe leave your msn/e-mail addy here and ask an admin to Sticky this ... then there is always somewhere to go for someone in the position you found yourself in :D

Ok dude. Wary of this before, but in a serious sense,,,

If Anyone actually does require (And would like) help with a gaming addiction (And believe me, i'm as reluctant as anyone else to call it an addiction, but it is). Just send me an email on Falcon_16_uk@Hotmail.com, I may not be able to help, but i'm am almost 100% convinced that if I can't help (As a psychiatric professional), then I will know someone who can. Please, don't hesitate to contact me, no matter what effects you may (Or may not) be experiencing. Tackling the problem as early as possible (As with any other addiction) is paramount to conquering your weakness as soon as is realistically possible.

I implore anybody who feel s they may be experiencing symptoms of addiction to seek professional help as soon as is realistically possible. Even if that help is simply emailing me personally (Adress given aove) for sources of true help.

I am, truly, seeking to expose online gaming as an addiction the same as any other you may (or may not) have heard of. Any compulsion,any infatuation, any obsession, please, seek help. It may not occur to you now, but an addiction to online game can be as (if not more) strong as any addiction to an illicit substance.

Please, don't let online gaming dominate your real life as it did mine for so many years. Just email me, there'll be no ridicule or expulsion, I simply wish to help as many other may wish to do. Even if you aren't currenlt in a state of addiction, your comments (Be they negative or positive towards me) are truly welcome and encouraged.

I look forward to hearing from anyone with any experience of online gaming (Positive or negative)

-Rawkeer, Xphyral, Chipper, Falcon, or any other make believe name you may know me as.

evzy

Can't get enough of FH
Get Married - that will stop any DAOC addiction in its tracks - its hard to play when you are getting twatted with a rolling pin!

On a serious note - if you realise you are addicted to something at least you are able to admit the problem - it only takes self will etc to move on from there - the real trboule is when you don't even know you are addicted.

I would be addicted to games but I simply don't have time in my life to be anymore - albeit in my 30's with a job and a wife - so it kinda prohibits itself anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom