Help Acer Aspire E3112 Problem *Help!!*

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
I am trying to help a friend on another forum and all has been sorted apart from 1 problem.

He has formatted the laptop mentioned and reinstalled Windows 8.1 64bit and all the drivers are installed for everything apart from for the card reader. We cannot find any info anywhere for the make or manufacturer of the component and the Acer website drivers do not work.

We have tried SIW and that crashes the poota, I imagine if we somehow got at least the make of the installed reader it would be a start. He has today took the laptop apart and the only thing printed on the card reader is A433C which points to nothing really, we do have more pictures of the insides but probably not much help really.

We have tried Driver Genius, that was cack.

Are we missing something here or are there any other ID programs that will point a big shitty stick at what make the bloody thing is?

Help appreciated and will be rewarded with a picture of @caLLous eating a baguette filled with garlic.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Strictly speaking the card reader shouldn't even need a driver, or at most it would only need a windows driver.

Obviously no help at all but there it is :)

...however. You could try and bin the USB devices in device manager and restart, usually find that fixs many things disk related after a fresh install.

*Found from google but I concur.

Trem

I shall point him at this thread @Raven so he can try the suggested things and seee how we go. Cheers. It does sound like it is just being a picky bugger and I am surprised Windows 8 didn't sort it all out right off the bat but meh, it happens I guess.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
hmm, if your mate had the lappy open, there may be a ribbon cable connecting the reader to the lappy mobo. if you can disconnect it, do so and boot in to windows. then shut the laptop down, plug the cable in and boot again. see if that helps.

Trem

hmm, if your mate had the lappy open, there may be a ribbon cable connecting the reader to the lappy mobo. if you can disconnect it, do so and boot in to windows. then shut the laptop down, plug the cable in and boot again. see if that helps.
No ribbon cable sexface :(

He has joined here and will be posting soon so will be easier to try and sort it out I hope.

Attachments

• 20141231_095114_zpse52c4811.jpg
    20141231_095114_zpse52c4811.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 15

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
He has joined here and will be posting soon so will be easier to try and sort it out I hope.

Now then everybody... let's make sure we give him a nice friendly 'Freddys' welcome ;)

EDIT: It's not your shotgun buddy is it?? :confused:

Trem

Now then everybody... let's make sure we give him a nice friendly 'Freddys' welcome ;)

EDIT: It's not your shotgun buddy is it?? :confused:
:D I wouldn't expect anything less of you bunch of twats and I have warned him you will try and groom him Jup.

No it isn't Stu, it is an online friend.

TdC

it's kind of likely it's a Realtek card reader, since they basically do all the 'readers for everyone. you could have a go just randomly trying them to see if it recognizes the device. dl page is here.

Wingchundub

Regular Freddie
Hi Raven,
It is i that is having the run around with this thing.
I have read and taken advice you provided and still no joy.
I deleted the usb devices and also sd host controllers which on reboot appeared.
Still sd not reading.
I have numerous cards which all work fine on both my wifes and my son's netbooks.
Also i checked under COMPUTER MANAGEMENT & DISK MANAGEMENT but only the drive is showing.
Utterly baffled.
I appreciate your time and advice.
Just to put it out there, there is no snowblowing, or offering of sweeties or to see his puppy :)
Best wishes

Wingchundub

Regular Freddie
Here are the 4 pics i had taken if it helps somewhat.
Also tried the realtek you kindly gave, no joy.

20141231_094954_zps307f690e.jpg

20141231_094316_zps989158a2.jpg

20141231_093939_zpsbe068426.jpg

Wingchundub

Regular Freddie
Sorry, there's too much positive feedback in this thread.

I need to balance it out.

I like your fingers.
Its a finger and thumb.
I need to stop biting if going to include them in future, hd always shows too much :(
Now have to deal with a pair of balls over my name pfft.

Trem

I actually did think they were textbook man fingers and virtually perfect, like the ones you see on adverts.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Its a finger and thumb.
I need to stop biting if going to include them in future, hd always shows too much :(
Now have to deal with a pair of balls over my name pfft.

You've basically been here for 5 minutes and massively flirted with the entire community, don't show us your wrist or @TdC will lose his shit.

Trem

So we still haven't sorted the bloody laptop but we are getting into a digit sex fest? Wheres Jonty? I miss Jonty :(

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
They used a Broadcom card reader in their other laptops, you could try this driver (or this one from JMicron) and see what happens...

Do you not have some sort of recovery disk or a recovery partition on the laptop's disk though?

Trem

About bloody time Frenchy :eek: (I knew you would have some idea's Cally)

Wingchundub

Regular Freddie
Hi Callous,
I do not have recovery etc has i wiped hard drive before installing win8 bud.
I always leave with one partition only.
I did try both your links, uninstalling previous and rebooting etc, but no joy bud.
Should card reader show in disk management? as only hard drive does.
Could it be win8 being a knobjockey with me?
Shall i try installing win7 from scratch as i don't mind, not a biggie?
Best wishes

Trem

I would say Windows 8 would be a much better bet than Windows 7 but if you want to give it a try and see why not. It may install it and at least tell you what the card reader is then take a note and install Windows 8 again and get the right drivers.

Wingchundub

Regular Freddie
I'll give it a pop shortly, as nothing on laptop that i can not put back in.
Will report back.
Thank you

Wingchundub

Regular Freddie
Ok.
Installed windows 7 Professional only, No updates, no internet connection.
Put sd card in slot and bam it pops up.
Working.

Wingchundub

Regular Freddie
Problem now is i would rather keep win7 in but seems drivers are only available for win8 which is a bummer.
How do i find what driver is being used for sd or anywhere i can get all drivers for win 7.
I will try some of the win8 ones i have and see if any work.
Thanks

TdC

I was reading some stuff from which I gather that you can install drivers in an OS compatibility mode in Win8. Dunno if that works but perhaps worth looking in to.

What you could do to find the underlying device in Win7 is thus: insert an SD card and wait for the system to recognize it. Then open My Computer, right click the new disk, choose Properties and then Hardware. That should give you the controller.

Wingchundub

Regular Freddie
It give me after searching from info that it is a realtek sd reader and file dated 2006.
File version 6.1.7600.16385
I do believe from an internet search, it is also in hp models and i assume many many more.
I have taken pics of info but phone being an ass and not letting me upload to the forum saying that they are incorrect format considering it is a jpeg lol.
Ok, now i know reader actually works, so i am now putting win8 back in, a fresh full install and i will test if reader works without any of acer official drivers and updates.
Will reply with any success.
Thanks

Wingchundub

Regular Freddie
Now windows 8.1 pro back in.
No updates found from ms.
Tested sd reader soon as windows installed and no joy.
Thats when i checked for updates and no change there.
Now one by one, i installed each acer driver, rebooting after each install and device manager shows all is well, but no reading of cards via sd reader arrrrrrgh.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
That's pretty odd, dude...

Trem

Silly question but did you try reading a card when Windows 7 was installed chum? You may of already answered that but i'm a bit pissed so can't see too much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom