Help Accessing Files On Server?

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
I have been chatting to @babs about this and I guess I should try harder to sort it out now.

I have a HTPC running Windows 8.1 and I have a server running Windows 7 Server or whatever the fuck it's called, the latest Windows server version anyway. I have a folder on that server that has all my shares on, I can access it all fine off my Windows 7 laptop. The problem I am having is I can see and I can get into the shared hard drive (normal shared drive) but I cannot access any of the folders within that drive (all NFS shared folders). I just get the 'you do not have the sufficient permissons' message on the Win 8 HTPC everytime I try to get into the folder.

The HTPC is on the home network, the password has been entered and all that bollocks, all is set up correctly server side as far as I can tell and the only thing I am left wondering now is if Windows 8 has an issue with NFS folders (seeing as it can get into the drive with no problem at all just not the folders in that drive).

Any ideas my nerdy chums and I am in the right ball park with the NFS way of thinking?

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Why are you using NFS in an all-Windows network? I thought it was CIFS for Windows and NFS only if you have Linux machines around but that could be out of date.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
linux can share SMB and CIFS just fine. the problem here could be something within NFS: make sure whatever is serving the NFS to the server allows full access to all users incl anonymous ones (so so you can see if Win8 can get in).

babs

Can't get enough of FH
Looks like win 8 can't mount nfs unless it's ultimate or enterprise.

I read something about nekodrive which may do it, might be worth a look.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
linux can share SMB and CIFS just fine. the problem here could be something within NFS: make sure whatever is serving the NFS to the server allows full access to all users incl anonymous ones (so so you can see if Win8 can get in).
Yeah I know (Samba takes care of all my file-sharing needs, even with its leaking memory errors in Ubuntu 14.04), I meant that I thought SMB/CIFS was the preferred protocol for a network with just Windows machines and I thought that, traditionally, NFS was more of a Linux thing.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Yeah, looks like you've over complicated things trem. K.I.S for the win!

Trem

They were NFS shares for when I had a previous media player (Popcorn Hour) because it needed them for the resume play function to work, it has not been a problem before so always left them as NFS. Right I am back from work now so I will go and have a play and let you all know. Thank you lovers.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Found this as the top link in Google @Trem
_s(vote down)
accepted
To connect to an NFS share, you need to make sure you have the NFS client installed. This component is a part of the Services for Unix component. Go into the control panel, Programs and Features, then Turn Windows features on or off. Make sure Services for Unix-based applications (DEPRECIATED) is checked, and click OK. Be advised that typically only Ultimate and Enterprise versions of Windows typically have this component available.

This will install the MS NFS client and (AFAIK) the mount command. I'm not at work so I can't verify exactly. If I remember I'll update Monday.

If your NAS can enable CIFS or SAMBA style shares, I would use that instead.

TdC

sure. your windows will all have SMB clients and it's always been easier to work towards win-compatibility rather than the other way around (imo)

Trem

My router is now being a complete dick so I am unable to do anything with this at the minute :eek: I only have the vanilla version of Windows, I wasn't paying double for what the fuckers wanted for the next versions up and seeing as @Ch3tan wasn't selling a bargain copy at this time I went for this one :D

I have changed one of the NFS folders to a normal share and shared it with home group (read/write permissions) but I can't see if it works yet, but on a side note there is something I remembered, I tried to cut/copy a notepad file out of the shared folder, so not NFS share just a notepad file within the shared folder than I can access and again Wndows 8 said I didn't have the permissions so it *may* not be an NFS issue.

I still haven't played a bloody game on the thing yet, but it streams stuff lovely. Jesus how did I used to have so much free time :(

Trem

Yay! Sorted. Thank you lads. Not that any of you helped :eek: ( ;) ) It appears to of been some sort of router/server blocking problem or something and I found out due to the router spewing AIDS, I wouldn't of discovered it for ages I suppose if it wasn't playing up. I can get into the folders with NFS sharing on, I have turned it off on a couple of folders and I can get into them and left it enabled on the others and the same, I can get into them now as well. So, hmmm, it is all good.

Cheers chums.

babs

Can't get enough of FH
Good, now go spend spend spend on the last 24 hours of the steam sale.

My sexy Cornish wishlist has had a hammering this last week or so.

babs

Can't get enough of FH
I think you'll find that's on your wish list. You just have to ask nicely.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
It's smaller than you think

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber

TdC

you people scare me sometimes :(

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Semi flaccid is semi hard to some people, ya know!

Trem

I live in a semi....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom