About Reputation

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hi guys

I just wanted to say a little something about vBulletin 3's 'Reputation' feature. Basically, the idea is that if you find an answer to a question helpful, you can add to a person's reputation level. This is not only a nice way to say thank you, but it helps to show forum users how trustworthy and helpful a person is (so they are not left wondering whether or not they can trust the advice someone has given).

Spotting a Person's Reputation Level

A person's reputation level is shown with their user information (name, avatar etc.) in posts, and is displayed as a small blip:

reputation_pos.gif

The higher the reputation level of a user, the more noticable this will be (e.g. different textual descriptions when hovering the mouse over the blip, more than one blip etc.). This information also appears in the user's profile.

Adding to a Person's Reputation Level

If you want to add to a person's reputation level, if they've helped solve a problem etc., simply click on the icon below which can be found in the relevant user's post:

reputation.gif

Tracking Your Reputation Level

Your own reputation level can be found in the User Control Panel (User CP) area. If you have recently received a reputation point, then a category in the default User CP area will be shown called 'Latest Reputation Received'. This category will list the thread, date and user giving the reputation.

You can also check how many reputation points you have by clicking the Edit Options link in the User CP and looking for the reputation level category near the top.

Disabling Your Reputation Level

If you'd rather not participate in the reputation level scheme, you can opt out by choosing the Edit Options link in the User CP and then by unchecking the 'Show My Reputation Level' box near the top.

Anonymity

Your name is now logged automatically when providing reputation (this was initially not the case).

Caveat

The reputation level system seems to be able to vary its application according to vB3 board admins' desires, so the specifics may change as FreedysHouse evolves and settles. The above information is based merely on observations and a little research of the reputation system's generic application.

Kind Regards

'Shy

One of Freddy's beloved
Ohh, I've been using it to flame spammers :D

Clown

Part of the furniture
Jonty should have the highest reputation on these boards!

tRoG

Fledgling Freddie
How do you whether the reputation thinger is positive or negative?

Oh, and how many comments does it take to earn a point? I've had 5 or so, but I'm still at 10.

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
tRoG said:
How do you whether the reputation thinger is positive or negative?

Oh, and how many comments does it take to earn a point? I've had 5 or so, but I'm still at 10.
From what I'm told it's meant to take 3 to raise or lower you, which I guess means you've crossed the threshhold and back again?

heh the question is which direction ;) did you get 3 positive and 2 negative or 3 negatives and 2 positives? :)

'Shy

One of Freddy's beloved
They change colour. I've been green, grey and black so far. I'm guessing black is bad :( But yay I'm green again now!

Clown

Part of the furniture
You have 10 Reputation points.

But I'm black! Whuuut?

'Shy

One of Freddy's beloved
Clown said:
You have 10 Reputation points.

But I'm black! Whuuut?

Ooooooh you have a disabled reputation! You've been baaaaaaaaaaaaad! Comments and posts they refer to are stored in your user cp, but as far as I can see thy're anon :(

tRoG

Fledgling Freddie
Xavier said:
From what I'm told it's meant to take 3 to raise or lower you, which I guess means you've crossed the threshhold and back again?

heh the question is which direction ;) did you get 3 positive and 2 negative or 3 negatives and 2 positives? :)

I have 5, and they all have a graphic like this next to them:
reputation_balance.gif

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hi guys

I just thought I'd better add a little caveat at the end, as after doing some further research for you, it seems that the actual implementation and application of the reputation level system can vary quite dramatically from board to board. The above information still holds true, but the precise details seem to be only known to the vB3 developers, who have yet to publish the documentation as vB3 development is still on-going.

Kind Regards (and thanks to those who have bumped my reputation, bless you)

'Shy

One of Freddy's beloved
[QUOTE='Shy]Ooooooh you have a disabled reputation! You've been baaaaaaaaaaaaad! Comments and posts they refer to are stored in your user cp, but as far as I can see thy're anon :([/QUOTE]

I'd just like to point out that I am quite a light hearted person, and just because I play DAoC (or rather sit in my pond and make hinges) doesn't automatically mean you can class me as a twat. I do have a twat, because I am a girl, but I am not one as a whole.

bahrep.jpg

And I disapprove of the fact these are anon. At least my friends put their name on their comments when they give me a good +rep.

the_hermit

Fledgling Freddie
Time to disable mine I think... I have received negative rep - not because I care, but apparently in the 6 or 7 posts I've made, I've obviously been bad.

I wouldn't mind, but people are definitely taking the piss with it. One comment of mine read:

a

yes, one letter. The other read:

ol

such brains...

Clown

Part of the furniture
You linked to my laughing because you couldn't be arsed to laugh yourself.. or what?
Note: I THOUGHT GOOD FEEDBACK WOULD MAKE YOU HAPPY AND NOT CRY AND STUFF!!

etcetra

One of Freddy's beloved
Thread Date Comment
Yay! 24th December 2003 05:25 PM a
Yay! 24th December 2003 05:13 PM lol

Negative, both in same thread :x

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
It appears you get a new menu link in your usercp when someone actually leaves reputation.

Clown

Part of the furniture
Can't you just press your own reputation button? Apparently I have 8 reputation points.

Gr8 m8!

'Shy

One of Freddy's beloved
Clown said:
You linked to my laughing because you couldn't be arsed to laugh yourself.. or what?
Note: I THOUGHT GOOD FEEDBACK WOULD MAKE YOU HAPPY AND NOT CRY AND STUFF!!

Awww sorry, that was good feedback? :( Thought it was you that put the nasty one and you were being sarcastic :( :fluffle:

Ohh, and yes, I've had the "a" comment too. Must be a new fotm 1337 word :rolleyes:

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I now have a reputation feedback, but how do I tell if its positive or negative?

Frizz

Can't get enough of FH
Jonty said:
Hi guys

Kind Regards (and thanks to those who have bumped my reputation, bless you)

Are the admins capable of changing the text, which gets displayed after hovering the cursor above the green dot?

Anyway, Jonty's reputation +1, just on general principle.

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Sir Frizz said:
Are the admins capable of changing the text, which gets displayed after hovering the cursor above the green dot?

Thanks Sir Frizz :) As to your question, I *think* admins can change that hover text, yes, as well as the way in which reputation is displayed (although the latter may require a mod). I'm afraid I don't know the specifics as it seems the vB3 developers are still taking opinions as to how the system should work. Nevertheless, I'll try and find out.

Kind Regards

Edit ~ After doing a little more digging, it seems that there are a variety of options in AdminCP to alter how the reputation system works. I'll try and nab Deebs when he's not too busy (might be waiting a while ;)) and see how these forums are configured.

xane

Fledgling Freddie
Ch3tan said:
It appears you get a new menu link in your usercp when someone actually leaves reputation.
Okay, I went down to 9 then back to 10, there is no extra menu option, any other clues ?

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
If you click you usercp reputaion appears in a new sub section underneath currently subscribed threads in the main green area to the right of the menu's.

I now have two, one positive (green block) and one negative (black box). But that means my rep hasn't changed at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom