Abit Kg7

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person
Getting fed up with the performance of my system, but with so much new stuff on the horizon it seems a little pointless going the new system route atm. I've currently got an Athy 1700XP and two questions (well maybe more, we'll see :) ).

The system runs really cool(ish), 36 degrees idle, 42 degrees during a frag fest. Those familiar with this board will know that I can overclock via the bios software. I'm an OC virgin so have no clue what settings to change and what the safe maximums are. So any clues would be appreciated.

If the above still isn't fast enough I'll replace the 1700, but what is the fastest processor I can put on this board. I am comfortable with bios flashing or anything else that might be necessary.

Ta muchly.

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hi ~YuckFou~

I'm no overclocker, so I'll leave that to the enthusiasts, but as for your motherboard, it's sadly discontinued. From what I can find, however, the board supports up to a 2000+ Thoroughbred processor, which will probably set you back around £40. Anything above that, according to ABIT, isn't supported.

Kind Regards

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person
Thanks for that, not really worth a new processor then, pain.
OK overclocking it is then :)

If anyone has tips for the software overclocking of a GFti500 that would be useful too.

I'm determined not to spend heaps until the end of the year. I'm persuading Mrs Yuck that we "really do" need a wireless network atm :)

RandomBastard

Can't get enough of FH
if the cpu is unlocked then you can increase the fsb/multiplyer. be aware this will void the warranty of both the cpu and the mobo and may lead to fried silicon. you could also increase the core voltage but unless you know what your doing i dont recommend this (i wouldnt do it anyway). The safest overclock would probably be the fsb but idk what fsb your current chip is to begin with.

smurkin

Can't get enough of FH
I have that mobo...and I was faced with the same problem....after extensive scouting round I found a bios update to 2100 (might have been thoroughbread...cant remember)...but mines a 1800xp & I came to the conclusion the increase in perfromance wasnt worth the money or messing around. As for the overclock option, my chip (and probably yours too) is locked & requires messing around with a pencil...tbh...cba....and likely you'll still have the multiplier to 2100 max problem in the bios.

Imho, the best bet is to up your RAM to say 512 meg or more if you haven't already...its cheap & will give you lots of headroom to open whatever you want.

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person
smurkin said:
Imho, the best bet is to up your RAM to say 512 meg or more if you haven't already...its cheap & will give you lots of headroom to open whatever you want.

Got that already :(

poop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom