A warning about TwinMOS memory & nforce2

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
All

You may have read my thread on the 1Gb (2 x 512) TwinMOS PC3200. The first set of ram had a buggered stick, so i returned it to overclockers.co.uk and was sent out a new pack of ram. It booted ok, then as soon as I got into windows it blue screened.

Under no circumstance could i get it to run at 400 MHz. I could adjust the timings so that it could boot into XP, but that's about all i could run. The new pack of ram would run without a hitch at 166 MHz (333 DDR), but not at 200 MHz (400 DDR)

Well, after much searching on the net; it looked like my Abit AN7 motherboard. Being brand new, a lot of people were quick to jump on the "Abit suck" bandwagon. I called overclockers.co.uk for some help and advice, suspecting the motherboard.

The bloke at overclockers was (surprisingly) very helpful and very patient.

I suggested my board was to blame. The conversation was thus:

I explained my situation with having two packs of ram and that I had the Abit AN7 motherboard.

He said "ahhh - that's the nforce2 motherboard".

To which I said "yes that's right".

He said "yep, there's a faulty batch of TwinMOS released where it just doesn't work on an nforce2 chipset".

I said "ahhh right ! ... the memory does 'work', it just doesn't run above 166"

He said "yes that's right, it won't run at full speed ... we're well aware of it, it's a known problem with this batch of ram".

He apologised for the inconvenience and offered me a full refund on the TwinMOS ram. I asked what memory he'd recommend for my spec and he recommended Corsair 1GB DDR XMS3200LLPT TwinX (2x512MB) CAS2 (MY-018-CS at £192.

The moral of this post, :clap: to overclockers.co.uk and don't touch TwinMOS with a barge pole.

G

TheJkWhoSaysNi

One of Freddy's beloved
Strange, I have the TwinMOS 1gb Dual channel kit running at 400mhz on my GA-7N400-L

old.user4556

TheJkWhoSaysNi said:
Strange, I have the TwinMOS 1gb Dual channel kit running at 400mhz on my GA-7N400-L

I must stress incase anyone says "bollocks, my TwinMOS is fine" - this is purely relating to a specific batch, I'm sure it can't all be bad; but at this moment it would be an idea to steer clear.

G

Krazeh

Part of the furniture
Personally I woulda skipped the Corsair ram and got some Geil Golden Dragon PC3500 ram, woulda cost ya less and ran faster

Stazbumpa

Fledgling Freddie
I got Twin Mos stuff too on an Abit nF2 board and I got it running at 182Mhz FSB (which my CPU also runs at). No problems so far. Like you say, probably just a bad batch, I got loads of friends with TwinMos ram and they have no probs at all.

old.user4556

Stazbumpa said:
I got Twin Mos stuff too on an Abit nF2 board and I got it running at 182Mhz FSB (which my CPU also runs at). No problems so far. Like you say, probably just a bad batch, I got loads of friends with TwinMos ram and they have no probs at all.

Aye, although I managed a few games of CS at ~180 MHz (can't mind the exact speed) but I could see the occasional glitch.

This is more a warning for those who are intending to buy just now.

G

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom