A sticky situation

Laddey

FH is my second home
So on Thursday my new motor arrives. I'm trading in my current vehicle.

My insurance on my current vehicle ends in September which means i'll have 3 years no claims.

I need insurance on thursday onwards.

Temp cover for 28 days is around 400-700 quid.

If i was to cancel the insurance on my current vehicle i'd loose 10 months insurance and be back down to 2 years no claims (no chance)

I cant run the new car on 2 years no claims because my current car insurance dont release the no claims until the insurance policy is cancelled or complete.

Any suggestions?

Fweddy

FH is my second home
Can't you ring your current insurer and ask them to change the car you're insured on?

Laddey

FH is my second home
Can't you ring your current insurer and ask them to change the car you're insured on?
Yeah sorry i forgot to mention that.

They're charging me £1000 for 2 months

Laddey

FH is my second home
Aye. Check how much insurance will be before you buy a new car.
It's £150 a month cheaper than my current car. It's the 2 months and losing the extra 1 years no claims im so close to getting

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
It's £150/month cheaper than your current car IF you have 3 years ncb - which you don't.

Another suggestion is patience when buying a new car - why didn't you wait a couple of months?

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I'm confused; how much are you spending per month currently?

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
That's obscene for insurance. You have to think is getting from A to B worth that sort of outlay each month?

Tom

I am a FH squatter
What is the value of your old car? Can you put the new car in a shed for a couple of months, on an off-road insurance policy, keep the old car until the insurance expires, and then sell it privately?

Cadelin

Resident Freddy

As DaGaffer says, how much would it cost to just go out and buy a new 1 year insurance policy (with a 2 year no claims bonus). You might lose a years no claims bonus but that won't have a big impact on your cost.

Laddey

FH is my second home
It's £150/month cheaper than your current car IF you have 3 years ncb - which you don't.

Another suggestion is patience when buying a new car - why didn't you wait a couple of months?

But i'd have it in two months. And it's an offer i cant refuse. It's complicated and if i waited the car most probably would be gone.
£250
What kind of car is it ?

That's fairly high
Nissan Juke mate its the post code that ruins shit. I could register it at my dads and save 50%.
What is the value of your old car? Can you put the new car in a shed for a couple of months, on an off-road insurance policy, keep the old car until the insurance expires, and then sell it privately?
It's finding a buyer for the Juke mate. He's giving me a good car, 12 months tax/mot/warranty and cash.
As DaGaffer says, how much would it cost to just go out and buy a new 1 year insurance policy (with a 2 year no claims bonus). You might lose a years no claims bonus but that won't have a big impact on your cost.
The years no claims makes all the difference around here though. I've been paying £250 a month for 10 month so the least i can get out of it is a years no claims!

Punishment

Resident Freddy
If the guy is really a mate he would have let you put down a reasonable deposit and kept the car for you for guts of 2 months tbh

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
So, if you get temp cover for 28 days at £400, you're £150 worse off than you normally are for that month, but in exchange you get a £150 per month reduction in your insurance going forward, so its costing you £150 to get £1800 in savings, or net - £1650. What's the problem?

Tom

I am a FH squatter
But i'd have it in two months. And it's an offer i cant refuse. It's complicated and if i waited the car most probably would be gone.

There are about 31,000,000 cars in the UK.

Finding a buyer for your Juke will be easy. The dealer will offer you massively under its value and either auction it off, or sell it on his forecourt. Either way, he'll make money from your tardiness. Don't let him fool you into believing he's doing you a favour, sell it yourself, you'll make the same or more money.

Cadelin

Resident Freddy
Nissan Juke mate its the post code that ruins shit. I could register it at my dads and save 50%.

The years no claims makes all the difference around here though. I've been paying £250 a month for 10 month so the least i can get out of it is a years no claims!

So is it the post code or the no claims bonus that makes the difference?

What is the cost of insuring your new car for a year, with a 2 year no claims bonus and a 3 year no claims bonus? Once you know the difference you can decide on how much its worth forking out for this temporary insurance.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Get a rough price for that car with 3 years then ask them what the best they can do for 14 months is see if you commit to another year if they will cut you a break on the 2 month overlap maybe?

Embattle

FH is my second home
This thread did not deliver....

Indeed it didn't but it did remind me how good the value of the Klein bike I purchased 13 years ago has turned out to be even if it was £1000 at the time, equivalent to 4 months Laddey insurance it seems. If you add in my more recent Trek Soho Deluxe it would cover 8 months insurance....still makes me cringe thinking about it.

Laddey

FH is my second home
I rang Elephant.co.uk and i said can you swap the car on my juke, they quoted me £500 a month for 2 month roughly. This is at my mums address.

So i got them to try it at my dads address, different post code and it dropped to £130 a month. So i've 'moved' into my dads.

A nissan juke dci premium pack with 19 thousand miles. Who is going to pay £13000+ other than a garage. Surely i wont get a private sale for this ammount of money.

The new car is a mini cooper sport.

Punishment

Resident Freddy
Lots of people buy private, im buying an €8000 car private this weekl and people love Jukes tbh even though i think they are horrible

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
You really should get cars in cheaper insurance groups if you struggle to afford them. A mini cooper sport is not a cheap car to insure.

Buy within your means.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom